Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Helicopter Discuss all Helicopter Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

New Eagle 50

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
JB-Heli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Eagle 50

Hey folks. I have purchased a new Eagle 50 helicopter - yippie!. First off was to check all of the pieces and to figure out how to get the radio and receiver to bind! I made a few adjustments to center the swashplate, paddles, etc. and adjusting the blades for tracking. After a battery charge, etc. I spent some time hovering and getting used to the controls. I did a little bit of forward flight "round the circuit" stuff but nothing acrobatic. It is pretty stable for a small helicopter and I think it will be a lot of fun. During the 4th battery pack however (interesting how I would have said "on the 4th tank" ha ha) and while hovering about 2' in the air the motor just quit and the helicopter settled down in the grass without any damage. So, a new motor is needed but I still like the helicopter...

Regarding getting the radio to bind, I'll share what worked for me... The directions say to turn on the transmitter then the battery on the helicopter. I tried and tried this, no binding...Oh no... I read the forums and on one Andy said to turn on the helicopter battery first then the transmitter while wiggling the sticks... I tried and tried that, no binding... I disconnected my wireless internet, cordless phone, fearing interference, etc. I tried everything to no avail. Finally, I don't know what I was doing but was distracted after turning on the helicopter battery for about 10 seconds then I turned on the transmitter - about 3 seconds later - the helicopter servos snap to attention! Wahoo, we have a connection. Now that I have the decoder ring it is foolproof, turn on helicopter, wait 10 seconds, turn on radio and presto, TX and RX have bound to each other!! Anyway, I thought I'd share that to help someone else come down the learning curve. I come from the 72 mhz days so this 2.4 ghz is new stuff for me!

I'm looking forward to getting a new motor and then plan to get the gyro set correctly.

Happy landings
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15744.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1355060  
Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 PM
yadac123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Eagle 50

good stuff. what's your order number I'll replace the motor for you.

Andy

Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 PM
JB-Heli

Thanks Andy, info in email and you have responded ~ thanks! I'm looking forward to getting back in the air!!

Name:	Sq46449.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1355721  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM
yadac123

Glad I can help.

Andy
Old 01-16-2010, 01:37 AM
leskro

I just ordered the Eagle 50. I have no flying experience except for a micro 4 channel Eflight Blade S300. I'm really looking forward to learning how to fly and understand this is a great beginner heli, Having said all that I want to make sure Iknow how to properly setup the Eagle 50 when it arrives, like the trim, blades etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:34 AM
JB-Heli

leskro - wttb... do you know anyone that flys helis? If so I'd bum some of their time to help you get it set up. That said if your Eagle is like mine then it probably will not need many, if any adjustments. I did have to make a few adjustments to the linkages to center the paddles and to get the tracking in line. Be sure you fully understand all control function before ever attempting to hover (yes, hover comes first) and be sure to use training gear (attaches to the landing gear) on those first attempts. Also make sure all of your controls are working correctly, including the gyro. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 PM
leskro

Thanks for the advice JB. I'll look to see if there's a club or something in my area. Idid buy the training gear with the heli. It's nice knowing that you guys are out there for those of us who need lots of help.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:07 PM
JB-Heli

leskro Here is another source of info for you that is highly recommended. www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

Andy - the motor has arrived, broken in and installed. Hope to get it out today - thanks for your prompt support!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 PM
yadac123

To learn how to setup and trim the rotor head, you must fist understand what's CCPM and how it cause the heli to lift and fly. I think where are great video on you tube you can research on and helps you. Watch some of the ccpm setups on trex 450 se v2 and understand it. All CCPM rotor head follows the same principle just different alignments of the push rods and swashplate setups.

Andy
Old 01-31-2010, 07:08 PM
JB-Heli

Well, it has been cold, rainy and some snow lately but I still have managed to get out and fly a few times, without the camera though. This pic is from a few weeks ago when the sun was shining! All is still going well, no broken bones to speak of...

Name:	Wu59582.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1369053  
Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 PM
yadac123

Andy
Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM
nicholask1984

Has anyone had a problem with the motor burning up on the Eagle 50? I have only got about 4 flights in, and now I think the motor is no good? Even with full throttle, I get no where near enough lift for flight.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:37 PM
yadac123

it's possible that the brushes might get burned up. If you are under warranty I can send you a replacement motor.

Order number?

Andy
Old 02-27-2010, 01:12 AM
JB-Heli

WTTB Nicho... I had to get a replacement main motor and like Andy said he can replace it if under warranty, otherwise they are pretty inexpensive. When I got the new motor I let it run on low for 10 minutes or so (no load) to let the motor break in. There is a thread on motor breakin somewhere on the forum. I don't know if that was the difference but I've had absolutely no problems with the new motor. Happy hovering!