Notices
Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars Discuss all Nitro Car Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

glow plugs

Old 07-30-2007, 02:11 PM
time13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow plugs

I just started in the hobby. Need help about glow plugs have the engine, 18 cxp Japan the nitro rc buggy, if u have this engine what kind of glow plug do u use. Does it matter from small, medium, long looking to use cold glow plug what is a good site to buy from. In my manual it has for glow plugs sh3, sh4 what does the mean.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: glow plugs

Glow plug numbers are there tempeture, 3 is hot, 5 is medium, 8 is cold. You should use a 3 in the .18 engines. I use racers Edge sure fire #3 and haven't replaced a glow plug in over 8 months. You can also use os A3 plugs, but any short 3 will work.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:14 AM
derrick05

Glow plug selection also has to do with nitro content.A general rule of thumb is the higher the nitro content,the colder the plug should be and vise versa.I also run a 3 in mine with byrons 15% nitro.It is tuned to the max and stays between 255-260 degrees.If you were to run a 3 plug and 30% nitro in this motor,youll burn your piston early.I know it sounds crazy to run hot fuel in a small block but some people do.Some small blocks can handle it but trust me,NOT THAT ONE.Hope that was helpful.[8D]
Old 07-31-2007, 08:30 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

A nitro engine should be run between 200 to 230 degrees anything hotter and your over heating it. Smaller engines run better on 20% nitro 15% is pretty much for boats and planes. The lower your nitro content the hotter the engine will run=bad. Nitro helps to cool the engine too. If you ever spilled any on your hand you can feel it starts to cool as soon as it starts to evaporate. The higher the nitro content the better.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:07 PM
derrick05

Youre the greatest
Old 07-31-2007, 03:28 PM
ToyDestroyer

AAFH, I to think that you are the greatest.
Derrick, if you want we can also consider you one of the greats.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

lol thanks, I try.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 AM
{GBI}Harryball

200-230 is the temp range
Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 PM
ARKON692

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can use an O.S Glow Plug No. 8 to replace the one that came with my EXCEED RAZOR. An employee at my LHS told me it would work fine. He said they use them to replace LOSI and CEN buggys all the time.

It is not that I don't trust the LHS but I bought alot of stuff there today and I just was not getting the answers I was looking for with each product, there was alot of yeah, yeah, yeah, it should, probably, I don't see why not and well nobody said they had any problems with kind of answers.

I am new to the hobbie and just trying to do everything right, I did alot of research before buying my first rc buggy but am also learning as I go. If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate It. I was told that it is a good Idea to replace the glow plug after break-in and always have a few on hand. I know I can order them online but I really want to be able to utilize this LHS because It is so easy to swing by. Nobody there has ever heard of EXCEED which I am starting to hear alot of. This store sells mostly high end rc (atleast in my book) and stocks extensive parts!!!

Thanks, Jason

Almost forgot to mention, the plug fits fine and almost looks identicle but the shaft part on th O.S Glow Plug is a little bit shorter then the one that came with my EXCEED, I did not know if that would make a difference!!!

Here's a pic of the glow plug below!!!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97050.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	922713  
Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
cflytrap

The length does matter on these small engines. if u go OS use the A3. thats what they recommend.

Your LHS wont have much in terms of parts for your exceed/redcat nitro RC. mostly hardware and stuff but no gears or suspension arms. Nitrorcx is the place to go for replacement parts. Allaboutfunhobbies is a favorite of mine as well.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:22 AM
ARKON692

As alway's I appreciate the info Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Jason
Old 04-06-2008, 01:13 AM
jumpanddrop

i usally use mccoy plugs. there a little bit longer and give your engine a little power gain. the os a3 is always a good standby tho
Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 AM
ARKON692

Hey guy's, I returned the glow plug and of course the one I need they do not carry!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like I am going to have to use the LHS for fuel only for now!!!!!!!!!! I found a site where I can order the O.S a3 glow plugs but was wondering If there is any others I could use. Jumpanddrop you suggested McCoy plugs, do you know what the plug I.D. # for the one that would work for the EXCEED RAZOR is!!!!! I would Ideally like to order everything from Exceed but have just not been able to find what I am looking for!!!!!!!

I have been reading and doing a ton of research on every aspect I can find dealing with these nitro buggies including the guide that came with the Razor, my question is how do you fella's know what parts will and won't work for the Razor a far as other brands parts. The guide that came with the Razor only gives parts I.D # for ordering from them and don't really have many upgradable part's. They seem to be out of part's alot and are actually a little hard to shop from (atleast from my few attempts).

I bought my buggy from wonderhobby.com but was told from their customer service they also run raidentech.com grandhobby.com and nitrocx.com and I have checked them all and just can't find all the parts I hope to stock up on. I would really like to be able to look at a part and know if it is or is not gonna work for my Razor just like you guy's who recommended the O.S a3 and knew this was the part for the Razor. Sorry for the redundancy, just finding it hard to express my thoughts clearly here!!!!!

Thanks, Jason
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 PM
mentat
My Feedback: (1)

Jason, welcome to the hobby. Exceeds makes some good starter cars, i don't think you went wrong. There are a lot of HOP-UPS that you can get . Most of the after market parts "SHOULD" work. Have u visited the EXCEEDS area of this site? I have put the links below to help you. These areas will prob have the answers to your questions already posted. Just do a search in the areas. I would start with the exceeds area and save it to your favorites btw

this is the EXCEEDS SUPPORT AREA: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=472

This is the 1/8 SCALE BUGGIES AREA: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=244