Community
Search
Notices
Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars Discuss all Nitro Car Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

exceed rc sunfire gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
benroe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exceed rc sunfire gearing?

I am expecting a sunfire to arrive today, along with an ezrun 5.5 brushless motor. I know im going to need to change gearing and nitrorcx does'nt offer a variety. I need to know what gearing is recomended for this motor on the Sunfire drivetrain, And what spur I may be able to find at my LHS that is compatible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: exceed rc sunfire gearing?

Im pretty sure the teeth are 48 pitch, so any 48 pitch pinion should work. But when i went to a smaller pinion for my truck i bought a 48 pitch losi (i think thats what brand it was) pinion and the teeth were weird. Like look at your pinion, where at the base its small, and then gets bigger and thats where the teeth were, the teeth on this one was inside that small part, so i dont know if it was just cause it was so small or what but it didnt mesh right and it kept strippin spurs. Here is where you can get spurs that will fit for sure http://www.redcatracing.com/s.nl/it....7&searchid=111 Go down and they are there, but there isnt any pics. But you can try your hobby shop and see if they have em. What you need to do is get a temp gun and see what your temps are when running. IF they are high go lower teeth.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:49 PM
airmayle

Default RE: exceed rc sunfire gearing?

I would try Robinson Racing 48P.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:55 AM
Hidden Roads

I have 2 SunFires and have struggled a bit with the gearing. Not so much on the tooth count but more the pitch. I moved the electronics from my brushless version into my brushed version and upped the pinion size a bit. I used a 48 pitch and have had no problems at all. I cant even remember the tooth count or where I got the gear. I had nothing but trouble when I upgraded the brushless version. At first I went with a MAX10 combo and it just destroyed pinions. So I toned it down some and installed the Spektrum - 3300KV 4 Pole Brushless Motor and 85 Amp ESC. Still destroyed pinions. They don't stamp the pitch on their gears or even list it in the description of the gear. Hear is what I found when I red the fine print.
Exceed Disclaimer
"CURRENT EXCEED RC BRUSHLESS CARS ARE EQUIPPED WITH 32 PITCH SPUR AND PINION GEARS. EXCEED RC BRUSHED CARS ARE EQUIPPED WITH 48 PITCH GEARS. ALL EXCEED RC CARS CAN USE EITHER 32 PITCH OR 48 PITCH. HOWEVER YOU MUST USE THE SAME PITCH FOR PINION AND SPUR."
So now I run a 32 pitch pinion and don't have any more issues.

Setting Mesh
The gears should just barely have clearance between them but yet not be too loose as to allow the gears to strip. 48 pitch use one piece paper, 32 pitch use 2 pieces.