Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

Several questions about 1/10 elctric drift

Notices
Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars Discuss all Nitro Car Support for items purchased or will be purchasing at Exceed RC.

Several questions about 1/10 elctric drift

Old 01-23-2010, 02:55 AM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several questions about 1/10 elctric drift

I've been looking around online lately for an electric drift car to get just to mess around with. I won't be doing any racing at all, so I'm aiming to go cheap as possible pretty much. I've narrowed it down to either the Drift Star or the Madspeed, but Ihave a few questions...

1. What's the difference between the two? All I can tell is the body graphics and the slight price difference.

2. Do you think it's worth it to go with the brushless driftstar for $50 more if I'm just looking to mess around with it? I'll just be running in my garage/parking lots.

3. What kind of surfaces can these drift on? Like does it have to be shiny concrete, or can it be pavement, or rough street asphault, or tile?

4. What type of connector is on the batteries? does it have a name? (http://www.nitrorcx.com/bapa730.html)

5. About how long to the batteries last? both the 1800 mah and the 3000. And what about charge time with the stock charger?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm brand new to drifting, and even electric for that matter. I've only owned or ran offroad nitro before. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
jr2k1983

Default RE: Several questions about 1/10 elctric drift

im also new to drifting, i purchased the brushless driftstar and absolutely love it, my friend has a madspeed car and mainly they have different chassis and parts, with the driftstar the parts that fit exceed's champion (non drift) model also work on the driftstar, they do not work on the madspeed, which means that all the aluminum upgrades that are offered for the car cannot be purchased later, the car will drift on plenty of surfaces with the ABS tires that come with it (even carpet), although i didnt like the way they look so i changed my tires over to regular rubber/resin compound drifts, i would HIGHLY recommend the brushless because it is about 150% as fast as the regular and brushless motors are usually more reliable anyway, i know that the driftstar with brushless option and 1800mah battery will run for 20-30 minutes on a charge, and a 3000mah should run for about 30-45 minutes (mah is how much charge a battery can hold, 3000mah runs 2x longer than 1500mah) , and the connector is a common type with one vertical one horizontal connection that i have used other peoples batteries without any adaptors. to get a full charge on a dead battery it takes a while, i never paid attention or timed it but probably at least 3 hours, so i would suggest keeping a few batteries handy. also since you are new i will warn you .....it is an addictive hobby, i got mine on christmas and have bought an extra battery, 3 bodies, 5 sets of wheels, 2 sets of tires and am ordering more this week. any other questions u have post them up and ill try to help. since exceed's forums are not extremely busy (suprised though cause the car is a really nice build from factory)
Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
jr2k1983

oh and a couple tips:

1 buy batteries from ebay ( they are overpriced from exceed, honestly)

2. redcat racing's drift car parts are also compatible with the driftstar. 
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah I know it's so addictive! I started out just to try it (with an exceed nitro buggy) a few years ago and I haven't stopped since then. And because I've owned an exceed I know about redcact and himoto being the same just with different names.

That's a good point with the parts for the drift star. I think I'll go with that. If I get the brushed version now, will I be able to upgrade to brushless later on by just dropping in a new engine, or will I have to change other things, too (like the esc or something)?

On a bit of a side note, does anyone know of an introduction type guide for electric rc? Not specifically drift, but just in general. Like something that goes over some of the terms and basic things you need to know.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM
jr2k1983

u would have to change the ESC if you upgrade to brushless..the regular ESC cannot handle the power from the motor and wouold fry easily...i have to look but i know there was a great guide somewhere that helped me tremendously...