RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exceed-rc-support-nitro-cars-472/)
-   -   Clutch Bell Movement (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exceed-rc-support-nitro-cars-472/8133673-clutch-bell-movement.html)

montanamansv6 11-10-2008 03:21 PM

Clutch Bell Movement

Has anybody noticed and that the clutch bell on the Exceed Rc .18 Infinfity Trucks has an awful lot of movement not forward movement as in(In / Out) but wobbles side to side i removed my clutch bell on the weekend to find that the inner bearing on the clutch bell does not fit perfectly on the crank shaft it has movement the best part of this is it has not marked or ruined the crankshaft. I am now thinking i might upgrade the Clutch bell to an HPI 16 tooth vented or just do a complete swap with Himoto parts and get the single speed transmission and a 13t vented clutch bell this way i will only have one gear in the transmission rather than the 4 gears i have now which have a tendencie to fail quick .

Indarican 11-10-2008 07:47 PM

RE: Clutch Bell Movement

I have the same deal, but i havent had a problem. Im actually waiting for mine to go up so i can put my new parts on it. Remember exceed if for beginners. As soon as i could i put himoto parts on it. I even use my old traxxas radio for it. i also have futaba replacement servos for when the time comes. Im waiting to use up all my trans gears before i get the single speed.They just wont give up. [>:] The cop that watches my road clocked my truck at 34 mph the other day. I know i can get it to 40 and ill be cool with that.

yadac123 11-10-2008 08:37 PM

so you are tell me there is a play between your crank adapter and the bearing? is there a play between the bearing and the clutch bell?

Andy

ORIGINAL: montanamansv6

Has anybody noticed and that the clutch bell on the Exceed Rc .18 Infinfity Trucks has an awful lot of movement not forward movement as in(In / Out) but wobbles side to side i removed my clutch bell on the weekend to find that the inner bearing on the clutch bell does not fit perfectly on the crank shaft it has movement the best part of this is it has not marked or ruined the crankshaft. I am now thinking i might upgrade the Clutch bell to an HPI 16 tooth vented or just do a complete swap with Himoto parts and get the single speed transmission and a 13t vented clutch bell this way i will only have one gear in the transmission rather than the 4 gears i have now which have a tendencie to fail quick .

montanamansv6 11-11-2008 08:39 AM

Message to Yadac123

I spoke to your online support yesterday guys online name was Steve i tried to explain to him that when the clutch bell is installed on the motor and all screws and shims are tightened down you can actually rock the clutchbell back and forth however it does not move in and out so i removed it again to see if there was a problem the crank shaft has no wear marks on it at all but the bearings that go in the back or on the inside per say and on the outside ( note: both bearings are on the clutchbell) has alot of movement when placed on the crank IE: The bearings do not hug the crankshaft as normal bearings would if i install just the bearings on the shaft they will rock back and forth on the shaft it does not fit perfectly and this is why the clutchbell rocks back and forth when installed.

Steve advised me that he would send me out another bearing just to see if the bearing might be defective but i received a phone call from the warehouse last night basically telling they can not help me with getting this part they want me to send back the entire motor for a replacment considering i live in Canada the freight will be way to expensive not ot mention time consuming atleast 2-3 weeks

As for the clutch bell there is nothing wrong with it the only other thing i noticed is the cluchbell shims are already wearing out the holes in the shims are now egg shapped..

are the bearings suppose to be that way or should they be a better fit

thank you

[email protected] 11-11-2008 09:57 AM

I have a thread on this same topioc under the name stripped spur gear. Son has 1/10 scale buggy, I stripped the low-speed gear. Teeth worn right off. Thought it could be caused by the play in the clutch bell. Replaced the bearings with ones I bought at a local hobby store. The clutch still has the same amount of play. In my opinion the crank shaft is undersized for the bearings, that is where the slop is. The bearings rock on the shaft.

I still don't now if the clutch play casued the gear to strip. I have an idea the teeth may have melted from the heat of the clutch.

SAVAGEJIM 11-11-2008 05:57 PM

That is a good point. As for the shaft being undersized rather than the bearings being defective, Exceed support techs requiring the whole engine be sent in is the only option. The shaft MUST be replaced, this might be due to a poor production practice form the engine factory, so I would take the tech's advice and send it in. If anything, they will give you back a brand new engine for your trouble.

In the mean time, if it indeed will take 2-3 weeks to get a replacement engine, I suggest you buy an aftermarket engine. That way, you do not have to lay up your RC for so long , and if you like the aftermarket engine better (you will, especially if you get an SH), you could keep the replacement engine as a spare of sell it online.

yadac123 11-11-2008 07:04 PM

Please don't send back the engine because if the crank adapter is undersized I can simply replace it. what's your order number?

Andy

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

That is a good point. As for the shaft being undersized rather than the bearings being defective, Exceed support techs requiring the whole engine be sent in is the only option. The shaft MUST be replaced, this might be due to a poor production practice form the engine factory, so I would take the tech's advice and send it in. If anything, they will give you back a brand new engine for your trouble.

In the mean time, if it indeed will take 2-3 weeks to get a replacement engine, I suggest you buy an aftermarket engine. That way, you do not have to lay up your RC for so long , and if you like the aftermarket engine better (you will, especially if you get an SH), you could keep the replacement engine as a spare of sell it online.

SAVAGEJIM 11-11-2008 08:24 PM

Crank adaptor? Is that a pieces that screws onto a standard shaft so that teh engine can use SG shaft fywheels, CB's, etc? Can you post a pic of this adaptor?

montanamansv6 11-11-2008 10:11 PM

Yadac123

My order number was 437209

As for the replacment order Steve entered on 11-10-08 for just the bearings it might have been cancelled by your shipping department when they called me to advise they could not send out just the bearings but i am more than willing to wait for a replacment crank shaft i would rather wait to fix my truck rather than destroy it

Thank you

yadac123 11-18-2008 06:47 PM

I sent the adapter for you already.

Andy

ORIGINAL: montanamansv6

Yadac123

My order number was 437209

As for the replacment order Steve entered on 11-10-08 for just the bearings it might have been cancelled by your shipping department when they called me to advise they could not send out just the bearings but i am more than willing to wait for a replacment crank shaft i would rather wait to fix my truck rather than destroy it

Thank you