RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Exceed RC Support - Nitro Cars (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exceed-rc-support-nitro-cars-472/)
-   -   Newbie with Exceed RC Dynamite (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exceed-rc-support-nitro-cars-472/8412647-newbie-exceed-rc-dynamite.html)

danersdad 01-28-2009 04:38 PM

Newbie with Exceed RC Dynamite

My father-in-law gave me an Exceed RC Dynamite for Christmas. I'm very new to thishave never had a RC car before, and was hoping to learn a lot of basic info from the owners manual before jumping in. Unfortunately, the owner's manual contained only two pages of instructions and about 22 pages of spare parts. I checked the Exceed RC website, but there's no way to contact the company via phone or email, no way to download an owners manual, and there are no retailers who carry the brand in Minnesota (where I live).

I have lots of very basic questions, like:

What are the fundamentals of operating it?
Is there regular maintenance that's required/recommended?
What is "ST Trim" and "TH Trim"?
How long should it take for the battery to charge?
How is the spare battery different from the installed battery?
How long will it run on a charge?
How fast will it go?
Why the focus on spare partsfor upgrading or tendency to break?
Does it have a warranty? If yes, what is it, and where do I get it serviced?
There are REV and NOR switches for TH and ST. What do these do?
What are the basic troubleshooting tips?

Bottom line: I want to have some fun, and don't want to do something stupid that will ruin it. And as a newbie, I'm completely clueless.
The questions I have are the kind that are generally answered in an Owners Manual, but weren't answered in mine.

I understand these are very basic questions. Any tips would be extremely helpful and welcome. Thanks in advance!

madmax93 01-28-2009 05:25 PM

RE: Newbie with Exceed RC Dynamite

Just curious, is it the brushless version? I'm sure someone can answer your
questions better than I can.
Good Luck with your truck!

ace9213 01-28-2009 05:38 PM

-Well it's electric so you won't have much maintence at all. I don't know much about electric cars. Can't really help you out on this question much.

-With electric. Not much maintence at all. Just clean it off (don't use water on electrical parts) with a toothbrush or something and replace broken parts.

-ST trim is steering trim. It lets you align the wheels so they're nuetral position is facing straight. TH trim is your throttle trim. Umm you have electric so I don't really know if you need that feature that much. But if you turn your TH trim up the car should have a higher idle. In the electrics if you turn it up the car will start to turn the wheels and the car will start to take off. Just turn your car on along with the radio and turn those knobs and you will see what happens. But with the TH trim hold the car and turn that one slowly so the car doesn't take off and break. lol

-I don't know that question. A couple hours I would say depending on the battery and charger.

-You can buy bigger batteries to hold a charge longer. So that means you can run the car longer.

-On the stock battery, I don't think it will run long at all. 15-25 minutes I would estimate. Then again I don't know exact, I'm just making a educated guess.

How fast will it go?
-It should be pretty zippy. I would say top speed of 35 mph on flat surface going straight.

-Eh, I wouldn't bother upgrading anything to aluminum. Only things on the car I would upgrade or the steering servos and battery. For my cars I don't really stock up on spare parts because you never know what will break. It's always different. Like on my buggy I just had a little plastic piece break. I would have never known it would break but it did.

-It should have a warrenty. Visit www.nitrorcx.com

-I would guess that's just for the steering trim while the cars in reverse. And the NOR means normal I would guess.

-Well, I will say as you do rc more you become better at it. I have been doing it for some months now and have learned something every time I go out and drive. Lets just say if your car starts smoking turn it off imediatly and don't use any power on it. If you need any troubleshooting just come on here and post a question.

PM me if you have more questions.

danersdad 01-28-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: madmax93

Just curious, is it the brushless version? I'm sure someone can answer your
questions better than I can.
Good Luck with your truck!

I have the non-brushless version. Again, being new to this, I'm clueless. I know that there are brushless upgrades for this modelbut don't know what the advantage is over standard.

Lots of learning to do....

danersdad 01-28-2009 06:21 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ace9213

-Well it's electric so you won't have much maintence at all. I don't know much about electric cars. Can't really help you out on this question much.

-With electric. Not much maintence at all. Just clean it off (don't use water on electrical parts) with a toothbrush or something and replace broken parts.

-ST trim is steering trim. It lets you align the wheels so they're nuetral position is facing straight. TH trim is your throttle trim. Umm you have electric so I don't really know if you need that feature that much. But if you turn your TH trim up the car should have a higher idle. In the electrics if you turn it up the car will start to turn the wheels and the car will start to take off. Just turn your car on along with the radio and turn those knobs and you will see what happens. But with the TH trim hold the car and turn that one slowly so the car doesn't take off and break. lol

-I don't know that question. A couple hours I would say depending on the battery and charger.

-You can buy bigger batteries to hold a charge longer. So that means you can run the car longer.

-On the stock battery, I don't think it will run long at all. 15-25 minutes I would estimate. Then again I don't know exact, I'm just making a educated guess.

How fast will it go?
-It should be pretty zippy. I would say top speed of 35 mph on flat surface going straight.

-Eh, I wouldn't bother upgrading anything to aluminum. Only things on the car I would upgrade or the steering servos and battery. For my cars I don't really stock up on spare parts because you never know what will break. It's always different. Like on my buggy I just had a little plastic piece break. I would have never known it would break but it did.

-It should have a warrenty. Visit www.nitrorcx.com

-I would guess that's just for the steering trim while the cars in reverse. And the NOR means normal I would guess.

-Well, I will say as you do rc more you become better at it. I have been doing it for some months now and have learned something every time I go out and drive. Lets just say if your car starts smoking turn it off imediatly and don't use any power on it. If you need any troubleshooting just come on here and post a question.

PM me if you have more questions.

Thanks ace! You're a good American. [sm=thumbup.gif]

chevyderek72 01-28-2009 11:48 PM

It should be just plug batter in, turn on the esc on the car, and then turn the remote on and go.

There isnt really any maintenance, im pretty sure you gotta clean the motor everyone in a while with certain motor spray, but im a nitro guy so i dont fully know. If there are any metal to metal screws, put blue locktite on them so they dont come loose.

ace covered

Battery charge time should be 8 hours i think. There is an equation to it but i cant remember.

There should be numbers on the batteries, the volts is the power, so its usually like 7.2 volts, if you went up to a higher volt you will get more power (hp and tq) and i think revs from it. and the milliamps (mah) is the run time, my gf's dads came with a 1800 mah. your esc can only have so much volts, so if you want higher voltage batteries upgrade your esc. And i think you can go as high as you can afford on mah

Run time on stock battery (im guessing like 1800 mah) should be like 7-12 minutes or so. ive heard up to 15, but it depends on how you drive and stuff.

They arent that fast stock, probably like 20 mph i think, but the brushless (newer technology, they require less maintenance and they are way faster) does like 40 ive heard

These things are pretty tuff, especially for how cheap they are. Im not saying they arent good quality im just saying that they are a lot less expensive than a name brand rc, but ive beat on mine pretty good and hey have stood up, only time i break parts is on my fault. Like hitting a pole on one front tire. But damage is always really small, just one part usually, and if you stock up (parts are super cheap) then you dont gotta worry.

Im not sure about warranty.

ace answered already

If you cant figure something out, and need help trouble shooting then just hollar, dont ever hesitate to ask a question. Everyone was a noob once and we are real good about just answering and not giving crap for asking an easy (easy for us, hard for you) question

By the way, welcome to the hobby.

mycarisaser 02-04-2009 11:31 AM

Well your kit comes with an inexpenxsive battery with poor performance. The battery is the life blood of an electric vehicle. Buy the best 6 cell nimh battery you can afford (Promatch racing makes great battery for the money) You want to stick with a 6 cell(7.2volt) battery b/c the esc(speed control "aka" the thing the battery and motor plug into) can only handle that!
Now how to tell if the battery is charged. Well nimh batteries reach a certain temp when they are full charged(around 120*F) If the battery is on the charger and gets to 120* its done charging. (I would look into getting a better charger down the road if yo want to stick with the rc stuff!)

Now that truck will run around 20mph with the supplied battery and motor(get a better battery and you will get longer runtimes and about 5mph more speed with more power off the line(wheely power)) The brushless motor will give longer rumtimes, more power, less heat(b/c of bettery effiecency), and less amintance(b/c there is mothing to wear out like a brushed motor) In my oppenion going brushless is a worth while upgrade Oh a brushless system can make that vehicle stupid fast(70+mph if you want) the brushless ystem they sell for that truck will push it to around 35+mph with a good battery

As for part brakage boil the replacment plastic parts for about 10mins! It will soften the plastic allowing it to absorbe am inpact with out braking. Hubs, bulkheads, and shocks are the only aluminum upgrade I would recommend!!!!!!!

So plug in that charged up battery and have fun

danersdad 02-04-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: mycarisaser

Well your kit comes with an inexpenxsive battery with poor performance. The battery is the life blood of an electric vehicle. Buy the best 6 cell nimh battery you can afford (Promatch racing makes great battery for the money) You want to stick with a 6 cell(7.2volt) battery b/c the esc(speed control "aka" the thing the battery and motor plug into) can only handle that!
Now how to tell if the battery is charged. Well nimh batteries reach a certain temp when they are full charged(around 120*F) If the battery is on the charger and gets to 120* its done charging. (I would look into getting a better charger down the road if yo want to stick with the rc stuff!)

Now that truck will run around 20mph with the supplied battery and motor(get a better battery and you will get longer runtimes and about 5mph more speed with more power off the line(wheely power)) The brushless motor will give longer rumtimes, more power, less heat(b/c of bettery effiecency), and less amintance(b/c there is mothing to wear out like a brushed motor) In my oppenion going brushless is a worth while upgrade Oh a brushless system can make that vehicle stupid fast(70+mph if you want) the brushless ystem they sell for that truck will push it to around 35+mph with a good battery

As for part brakage boil the replacment plastic parts for about 10mins! It will soften the plastic allowing it to absorbe am inpact with out braking. Hubs, bulkheads, and shocks are the only aluminum upgrade I would recommend!!!!!!!

So plug in that charged up battery and have fun

More solid insights. Thanks, mycarisaser!

mycarisaser 02-04-2009 12:17 PM

No problem, I unfortunatly had to learn the hard/ expensive way as there was no one around to teach me. I got into 1/10th scale statium truck racing and the guys there didnt want to help either b/c of compatition. So ask all the questions you can as there are many of us here willing to help

xero140 02-07-2009 10:15 AM

here is a question i hooked up the esc and the truck wont go with the trigger throtle but the wheel on the reciver controls steering and works fine
now when i reverse the hook ups on the reciver board on the car the thing works backwards meaning the throttle is controller by the wheel and the steering is con trolled by the trigger. and the whole car works but very hard to drive this way.

mycarisaser 02-07-2009 01:48 PM

Steering is in #1 and esc in #2. The black wire(or darkest color) should be out by the edge of the reciver. also make sure the reverse channel on the radio is set correctly. If you can take a pic of how you have it set up, it would be great(pics are worth a thousand words)