Community
Search
Notices
Executive Vice President Candidate 2014 - Horrace Cain This for is for you to discuss the AMA directly with Horrace Cain, an AMA Executive Vice Presidential Candidate. All other AMA related posts must be posted in the main forum. Foolishness, trolling and flaming will not be allowed. Keep it civil.

Duties and Responsibilities

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
What is your reaction to the recent accident at War Birds Over Delaware, especially regarding the AMA sanction for this event?
As a cd of giant scale events I think the AMA needs to reappraise site setups for these events, especially in regards to the spectator and pits setback distance.
Larry AMA 5837
Mr. Larry, thanks for this question. You just shot me down! I am not aware of that event, other than your question does seem to bring up about something bad happening somewhere. I do get around the local area a bit, but Delaware is not in my "local"!
OTOH, I don't think at this time AMA should be jumping out about sites right now. AMA's inputs into the Pylon Racing EVENTS some years ago have suffered - IMO - way too much as the events are very difficult to manage under current AMA rulings. IMO and certainly just for me, the AMA has pretty well screwed the Pylon Racing events out of business. There are many rules in the Safety Code, but when one sees substantial violations, does anyone ever chastise the local good-ol-boys?
Again just my way of thinking, if AMA wishes to do anything reference the Safety concerns, then AMA needs to police what they have and take a much longer look at those "well-known individuals" that allow their own little spot to basically disregard many of the current AMA Safety Code rules. I see a lot of that. It seems that some folks have no regard for Safety, and some of us just may be a bit overbearing on Safety. Like everything in life, it seems that there will always be the "INs" that can do no wrong and the "OUTS" that can do no right, regardless how well they perform.
Going to Muncie this weekend. Will be listening for the War Birds over Delaware. Thanks again for the question.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
acerc

I like most of your responses, but, I also feel you fall short on a couple responses. Such as you were asked in the last about your feelings regarding a bad incident in Warbirds over Deleware and you became politician'ist in your reply and diverted. I feel being this is not one on one you should have taken a few seconds to look it up and reply accordingly. Also a couple post back you were asked in regards to your feelings as to groups such as the Profile brotherhood and you blended them into the mix as if they were one in the same. Being one of the PB fella's I can see where the average AMA Joe could find issue with what we/they do. PB fliers tend to have the same mentality as the FPV'ers in "I can and will where ever I want".
Now! I will ask straight out, "What, if anything, do you feel could or should be done to maintain safety with the ever increasing size of aircraft at events or even at clubs? They are getting very big, very heavy, and very fast. I myself am finishing up a somewhat larger model and definitely would not fly at my local club for fear of incident to local establishments and pedestrians.
Next question is "Do you believe the current AMA standing in their approach with FPV, UAV's, and sUAV's could be a huge disservice to the majority of AMA line of sight cardholders?
Finally, in a couple post you refer to how old you are, how busy you are, and also as to your lack of good health. Are any of these to an extent capable of impeding your ability to serve as EVP?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by acerc
I like most of your responses, but, I also feel you fall short on a couple responses. Such as you were asked in the last about your feelings regarding a bad incident in Warbirds over Deleware and you became politician'ist in your reply and diverted. I feel being this is not one on one you should have taken a few seconds to look it up and reply accordingly.
Robert, you may well be very correct, however I will not jump high and far when something happens that I am not well aware of the circumstances. At the time, that incident was not mine to provide an intelligent blast about. There are those times when I do use this: "It's not my circus, and they are not my monkeys."
Concerning the Profile Brotherhood: In my current opinion, that is a group of RCers simply doing what they like to do best. I much prefer Scale Warbird Racing, but there is a lack of that activity, especially when the "Racing" is 90% of the activity, which is supposed to be 50% of each racing and scale. Some years ago there were some that seemed very much lacking in discipline. I have not noticed such in the past several years. When a few get so entwined only in themselves, then the fun drains itself out.

As far as large models, well that is up to the AMA rules, mostly defined by the Special Interest groups. AMA got so far in picking on the Racers that they are falling into the river so to speak. Of course the racers did a bit on themselves simply by wanting to go faster and faster. Back in the early '80s I wrote most of the Sport Pylon rules that stayed in the rule-book for a number of years. Then the go-fast-and-faster guys pretty well destroyed the FUN. AMA spent many $$$s on various protective cages, yet the Racers kept on punching through them. Aero-Modeling is just like everything else, making it better is the goal, but then the bad overtakes the good and it's all "shot-time" again.

Now! I will ask straight out, "What, if anything, do you feel could or should be done to maintain safety with the ever increasing size of aircraft at events or even at clubs? They are getting very big, very heavy, and very fast. I myself am finishing up a somewhat larger model and definitely would not fly at my local club for fear of incident to local establishments and pedestrians.
Next question is "Do you believe the current AMA standing in their approach with FPV, UAV's, and sUAV's could be a huge disservice to the majority of AMA line of sight cardholders?
Finally, in a couple post you refer to how old you are, how busy you are, and also as to your lack of good health. Are any of these to an extent capable of impeding your ability to serve as EVP?
Right now, I believe in the current AMA rules. However I well know that will not last. That is one reason for wanting to get into the head-shed. The recent passing of the $250,000.oo for a SUAS budget tells me that something needs a good fixing. I attended that meeting; SUAS budget for 17 months: Staff - $95,000.oo, Travel - 30,000.oo, web-site - 15,000.oo, Other - $15,000.oo, Marketing - $95,000.00. Now, you, acerc, does that tell you anymore than a great fling around the country? Are yuh gitten muh drift now, Ol, Pard?

I did have a bad time last year. Most of it was my own fault as I am not fond of medicines and being restricted. I finally succumbed to the Doctors, and all is well now.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:00 AM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
What is your reaction to the recent accident at War Birds Over Delaware, especially regarding the AMA sanction for this event?
As a cd of giant scale events I think the AMA needs to reappraise site setups for these events, especially in regards to the spectator and pits setback distance.
Larry AMA 5837
Larry, I have to admit that I am not versed in that incident. However if I should be so lucky as to get elected to this Executive Vice President, you can well be certain that there will be a number of changes placed before the MEMBERSHIP! My page in MA each month will have much better ACTUAL and TRUTHFUL factual information for those AMA members that READ! I did so when I was a DVP. I will do so again.
One thing that bothers me is that the AMA Membership is far too interested in flying than being into what AMA is up to. That is because the Executive Council does not provide
real information to the membership. The DVPs allow the headquarters staff do all the work and thus things are NOT accomplished for MEMBER BENEFIT, but more so for upper staff benefit.
Several years ago, I was almost stripped of all AMA things such as flying, belonging to an AMA Club, or flying on an AMA facility. AMA EC can do this to you without a Hearing.
Only if they wish to kick one out of AMA is a hearing required.

I received my CD in the year 1963 and my Leader in 1964. My list of doing things for AMA is pretty long. When the ballots come out, I will post a few more,
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 PM
acerc

A very politicianist response. Thanks for not answering the questions.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by acerc
A very politicianist response. Thanks for not answering the questions.
Sorry you feel that way, however I did not have any need to research that incident. I am not yet an AMA Officer.
Such items will be addressed whenever I attain the position, should I have that opportunity.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you think our $2.5M insurance limit is enough?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Do you think our $2.5M insurance limit is enough?
mr_matt: that insurance ($2.5 M ) is for public liability insurance. There are other policies that are for medical, etc.

Therefore, YES, I think that amount is enough for the problem/s that said insurance is provided for. Now I do notice, IIRCC, that the topic amount has been brought
down since some years ago. In just an opinion I would say that AMA's Ex. Council should bring any changes to the memberships attention. Should I be so lucky as to attain the Executive Vice President position, members will know of any changes, etc. within a couple months of their happenings and clear statements as to why they happen.
Probably unfortunately, but the AMA Executive Council does make the rules.

One other thing is that the EC should attain more use and voting of the Leader Membership on these kinds of decisions before doing such. I would definitely lean to more of our Leader Members to be offered a vote on various many $$ functions and changes. Right now I do believe that the AMA STAFF has gone way too far in their making new actions that should be provided to the Leader Members. Allowing such is - IMO - a fault of the EC elected VPs..
I use the Leader Members because they are generally more aligned with What's Happening than the average Sunday Flyer. Elections are expensive, so there has to be a stopping place. Attaining Leader status is easy.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by Hossfly
mr_matt: that insurance ($2.5 M ) is for public liability insurance. There are other policies that are for medical, etc.

Probably unfortunately, but the AMA Executive Council does make the rules.

One other thing is that the EC should attain more use and voting of the Leader Membership on these kinds of decisions before doing such. I would definitely lean to more of our Leader Members to be offered a vote on various many $$ functions and changes. Right now I do believe that the AMA STAFF has gone way too far in their making new actions that should be provided to the Leader Members. Allowing such is - IMO - a fault of the EC elected VPs..
I use the Leader Members because they are generally more aligned with What's Happening than the average Sunday Flyer. Elections are expensive, so there has to be a stopping place. Attaining Leader status is easy.
HA, HA, HA, Just this afternoon I find that one of the District Leader Member Heads is using AMA's forum for the Leader Members to vote for my opposition. Hey Man if one wants to spread the word to obtain more votes for his/her choice of the "other person" well that is politics, that is the way it happens. However when one is using the public's Drain and his/her Position in the realm of things, then that is a bit off the wall, yet politics are politics.
At least I know that the AMA Sky-Line is most probably not the place to rest.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:48 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossfly
HA, HA, HA, Just this afternoon I find that one of the District Leader Member Heads is using AMA's forum for the Leader Members to vote for my opposition. Hey Man if one wants to spread the word to obtain more votes for his/her choice of the "other person" well that is politics, that is the way it happens. However when one is using the public's Drain and his/her Position in the realm of things, then that is a bit off the wall, yet politics are politics.
At least I know that the AMA Sky-Line is most probably not the place to rest.
I just checked the Leader Member Blog on the AMA site and did not see what you are referring to?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by bradpaul
I just checked the Leader Member Blog on the AMA site and did not see what you are referring to?
So have I. I doubt that we will. AMA is very good at covering up some of those things that they don't like us to see. Remember those days of the AMA Forums?
Lots of stuff got covered very quickly, but I feel that some of it was not needed. If we failed to kiss the proper places we got kicked off. BTDT! Yes, I laugh now, and I had a good time talking with a few fellows at the last EC Council, yet I kept some specific ones in my front side.

Various computer problems are back again just like last year. One individual is sending around messages concerning Leader Members and that said LM is helping other leader members to be "assisting" all members to support Gary Fitch. Nothing wrong with promoting one's favorite, except when the one is using his/her name and AMA address, well that kind of rubs me a tad wrong. If you are using the company paper to promote the company that is one thing. To use the company office to promote the least productive, well IMO, that is a bit much. OK to say, "I like Joe" if you also say that "Joe pays me very well." We then know why you like Joe!

I have a pretty big item set up to post here in the not-too-distant future. Probably next month when the mags come out with the SHORT and nice candidate letters come out.
I plan to send out some letters, a bit more informative, to the clubs a bit later. They are not bad, but they tell a lot more about OL' Hoss than the nice words in the magazine article.

Any questions about other things for now? Have a nice Labor Day weekend. I have to trim some more TALL trees. Bye Now!