Notices
Executive Vice President Candidate - Mark Smith This for is for you to discuss the AMA directly with Mark Smith, an AMA Executive Vice Presidential Candidate. All other AMA related posts must be posted in the main forum. Foolishness, trolling and flaming will not be allowed. Keep it civil.

Does AMA really need to grow?

Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does AMA really need to grow?

Hi Mark. Thank you for joining us here.
Much is made about the need to grow AMA. I happen to feel that, for a variety of reasons, appreciable growth (20-50% or beyond) is not likely, and I'm not convinced it is needed to sustain AMA or the hobby.

In the development of the PF program, what was the consensus on these points, and how do you see it?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 AM
marktsmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does AMA really need to grow?

Bill, I have the good fortune to chair the three-person AMA Marketing Committee composed of Don Anderson, Sr. VP with Hobbico and Eric Meyers, Sr. VP with Horizon, both of whom bring a wealth of experience and marketing expertise to the table. We are the primary designers of the program with much assistance and input from the EC. Don, Eric and I took a very objective look at the industry which included growth trends based upon historical data. We looked that the market from three different points of sales, i.e. hobby shops, big box stores (e.g. Wal-Mart) and the internet. The next step was to apply a conversion factor which yields the number of AMA PP members. I’m not sure if I sufficiently addressed your question, but I hope you can appreciate the sensitivity of this data and therefore, I cannot go into great detail. But on a more global scale, yes, I see a huge potential to increase membership via the PPP.

Mark