Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Best Time To Fly Magnum

Old 08-02-2003, 12:54 AM
strong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best Time To Fly Magnum

After flying the magnum about 10 times this week at different times of the day iv'e come to the conclusion that the best time to see and fly the magnum for me is early morning.I have gotten to the point to where I can see it fairly well at full speed during this time of the day all tho I have not move up to the 8/8 prop yet.I would like to know from you other magnum flyer how far out do you go to turn when flying,because I have to go really far out to turn once i'm up to speed.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:40 AM
Mattyb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i generally never go further out than a couple of hundred meters. I can still see the wing patterns easily. once you get used to the speed you will start thinking one move ahead and get it in a bit tighter.

Mornings are best for me to with a bit of cloud, was perfect blue sky today and had trouble seeing it.

Mattyb
Old 08-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like saturday and sunday afternoons... lots of people at the field to scare the hell out of...

I haven't had any real problems seeing it... I just don't go flying 500 meters out of the field... I guess I haven't been further out than about 300 meters...

Sometimes when I'm far out and turn back flying straight at me the plane almost disappears (when the light is bad)... but I know it's coming for me, so I just wait until it shows back up again...
You can almost fly this thing by the sound alone...
Old 08-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

at our show on the saturday we had cloud cover of about 200' that didn't stop Alan Greenfield of Weston flying into it, turning, then waiting for it to pop back out!!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 09:26 PM
ArthurR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How Far?

I like to keep thinking "get this thing back", so I'm always planning the next move with that in mind. At that speed it takes very little time to be out of sight, especially when viewed "edge on" or "nose on".

One good way, if you have a clear blue day, is to do swoops. After trimming it, come over the runway and at the end climb a few hundred feet, 500 or so, pull back over the top and dive back towards the runway, roll upright while diving to straight and level pass over the runway. Repeat. After 2-3 minutes land, refuel, calm your nerves and do it again!
Old 08-04-2003, 09:52 PM
mpriestley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I have to agree that keeping this plane in sight is a true challenge. I have logged a total of 5 flights and "Get this thing back" is a good quote.

I do have a question regarding the turning of this thing. I tried putting in some expo (JR 388s, 60% expo I think?) and it seems like I can feel the G's trying to turn this thing. at full throttle it takes a big sweeping turn. Granted I am new to this type of speed.

Does anyone else have the same experience turning this thing at full throttle (still using 9" prop)

Oh and one more quicky. where do I find "Alan's RC Link" I read in another post that he has a great explanation on tuning a pipe?

one quick way to clear the sky's at my field is to warm up this machine, rev it up on the pipe and then listen for "landing on 1, Landing on 4, Landing on 3 and so on....
Old 08-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by mpriestley
where do I find "Alan's RC Link" I read in another post that he has a great explanation on tuning a pipe?
Do you mean this? Alan's Hobby, Model and RC links
Old 08-04-2003, 11:25 PM
strong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got two more flights in this morning after the clouds broke up.I had the engine tuned and running just right(scree-ming)and when I came thou on some low passes all the people could do was stand there and stare like a deer in head lites and when I landed you could hear a pin drop.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:04 AM
ArthurR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alan's Hobby can be found at.......... http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/
Old 08-05-2003, 02:27 PM
mpriestley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you guys for the help on Alans rc link.

I think I am ready to start messing with the pipe and try out the 8/8!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 04:45 PM
ArthurR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MP,
Remember to keep it close to you! I lost mine yesterday by letting it get too far away, which it did in less than 10 seconds. I wish I'd asked someone to stand by me and assist by calling out "you're upside down, you're getting too far away, slow down some, time to bring it in". That may sound silly and unneeded. It isn't.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:03 PM
wildnloose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got two more flights in this morning after the clouds broke up.I had the engine tuned and running just right(scree-ming)and when I came thou on some low passes all the people could do was stand there and stare like a deer in head lites and when I landed you could hear a pin drop.
Man, thats too funny I'm hoping for the same reactions...

Now, if only I could get mine finished...I'm terrible at putting things together...
Old 08-05-2003, 05:31 PM
mpriestley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Arthur, Your advise is sound!

I had a very similar experience on sunday. Fortunately I had 2 co-pilots standing next to me and they were able to talk me back into controllable sight.

And yes, this can happen in less than 10sec.

if I have one complaint on this monster it is visibility, the color scheme can be very tricky when you get out there a bit.

Ps. tried the dolly on sunday and it worked great and just added some fun to the flight. I recommend it
Old 08-05-2003, 05:43 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The stock scheme visibility sucks, I have changed mine, and since added some hot pink to it, I can kinda see it now LOL, over winter it will be getting totally re-covered into hopefully a more visible scheme

Old 08-05-2003, 05:58 PM
ArthurR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MP,
Tell me about the dolly.
How did you lay it out?
Did it track straight on take-off?
What keeps the plane on the dolly while gaining air speed?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:12 PM
mpriestley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am happy to discuss, I really got a great response from my Peanut gallary on sunday.

It is a very basic set up that I pretty much plagerized from our other giant thread on the mangnum, (fist flight crash thread) cant remember the name so I am sorry for not giving the appropriate credit.

use an old tricycle landing gear set up. I used a balsa plank wide enough to fit a small bit of rails, 1/2" square or triangle stock, and the width of the plane. Mine is probably 1 1/2' - 2' long, I made sure that the angle of attack was negative, Ie. the rear of the dolly is slightly higher than the nose.

Then to hold the plane on,
I drilled a hole in the wing across the width right around the wing bolt area. You want to have the wire go through the bottom of the belly pan of the wing.

Make a notch in the dolly rails so that the wire hooks in. ( be sure that the plane can release effortlessly by pulling up on the elevator)

Attach a single rudder servo and radio set up (on the same channel as your plane) on to the undercarriage of your dolly. you now have a steerable dolly and it will track as you would any other pattern plane.

You may need to make some notches for the wing bolts and skids on the dolly, Just make sure it can leave the dolly easily.

I also put a small bit of left rudder trim in it. I correct for the trim while tracking down the runway and mach 2 once I leave the dolly I am no longer steering the dolly and it turns left right of the runway. No problems with the other pilots (although, for some reason, no one else flies when I fly this thing
Old 08-05-2003, 08:16 PM
mpriestley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ON the rails, I think I actually used 1/4" rails and you can only have rails on a portion due to the low wing.

the plane accelerates so quickly you will be amazed.

Just make sure that you have your plane trimmed properly before trying the dolly system.

My first flight was less than a second I had a down trim problem and when I lifted off the dolly I hit the ground and skidded the entire length of the runnway

455'

I found the thread:

#123 < Blue sky is the member that gave me the info and he has pics.

the thread is called Magnum: destroyed on first flight
Old 08-05-2003, 08:18 PM
mpriestley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeremy

What scheme are you considering.

I hate to do it because the current scheme is bad A#$ but it is truly tough to see.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:38 PM
ArthurR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MP,
It could have been me you copied, or a combination of several of us.

I did about what you did, but not as involved. The same balsa plank, 36" long with tricycle gear, 3/8 square stock hugging the fuse. To hold the plane from flying off the front, two blocks were glued to the plank just forward of the wing one on each side for the wing to push against. AoA was about 5deg so it wouldn't slip out forward and fly away too soon. As air speed increased and the plane gained lift it would rise over the two blocks and away she'd go. No steering other then bending the tail wheel to compensate for left turning tendency.

Most anything works that allows the plane to get to flying speed, which is darn quick. It has so much power to recover from almost anything.

After experimenting with the dolly, the best might be what the USAF did with their rocket launched jets. Rails. Use PVC pipe as a stationary ramp and let it slide skyward.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:16 PM
mpriestley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your right, a skateboard would probably work!

It accelerates so fast and once it has a bit of speed it really can recover from anything.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:10 AM
strong

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

fellows,
come on now,you don't need a dolly are any thing to launch the magnum just give it some up (3 or 4 clicks)throw it slightly up-wards and climb out and start to throttle back to a comfortable speed.This plane is impressive man it ROCKS......
Old 08-06-2003, 02:24 AM
Mattyb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Strong
where do you hold it when you launch yourself??
i considered it but couldnt find anywhere to hold it where it felt comfortable and safe. so dolly it was

Mattyb
Old 08-06-2003, 02:30 AM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you glue a strip of coarse grit sandpaper to each side of the fuse under the wing you can hold it yourself.
Glue them where the CG sits of course...
Old 08-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Mattyb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

geeze thats not much room!
you have enough control when the motor is ringing flat out.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:42 AM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well it is not enough to stand there for 3 minutes with plane in your left hand and the engine at full bore... but it is enough to open the throttle with your mouth and then get rid of it ASAP...

I have only one problem: I'm righthanded, and thus not used to throwing planes with my left hand... and I don't dare to throw with my right hand and then quickly go for the transmitter... it could be all over in that split second...

But like I said before: if the pipe is set well it pull almost right out of your hand, so all you have to do is give it a little upward shove and the engine does the rest.

I actually altered the belly last week... the sandpaper is still there, but I have about 1/4" more to hold on to now, and that is plenty...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service