Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

FAAs Regs = End of Speed planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

FAAs Regs = End of Speed planes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 AM
hotrodblazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAAs Regs = End of Speed planes?

Fellow Speed Freaks, Please become educated about the FAA's new laws that are being developed to regulate the UAS or unmanned aircraft systems.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/news/ama-faa.aspx
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=58585

These laws have the potential to forever change and end many of the ways we enjoy our sport.
While the actual rules are being kept secret for now,several hints leaking out involve:
100mph speed limit
strict 400 ft AGL limit
1500 ft lateral flight limit,
and no turbines!
Bear in mind ,these are not suggested AMA Safety rules, they are FAA regulations,and violation could be punishable on a Federal level!
If enacted, local police forces could call in Feds and things could get ugly especially if altitude and speed violations occur within the neighboring airspace of a full scale aircraft.
I am not crying "The sky is Falling" rather I beg each of you to study up on this and be ready to voice your concerns when the public is able to do so.
Many of you here do not fly at an AMA field and do the "speed thing" at private patches or,like C.P., over cornfields.These guys do not get the AMA news letters or Emails and might not be aware of this. That is my goal in posting here to make everyone aware and ready to respond if the rules fall against us.
Please guys, study up on this and tell others.
Thank you Danny
Old 12-12-2010, 08:20 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: FAAs Regs = End of Speed planes?

Geesh![:@]
Old 12-12-2010, 09:14 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a lot of things that go 99.9mph and only 399.9ft up....

Though I'm joking this is potentially serious and would knock out almost any type of current competitive event.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:23 AM
smoknrv4

You'll all have to move up to Canada.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Stevem9

what does the FAA think they are going to achive by doing this?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:26 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What they will accomplish is making this stuff taxable. In the future if you want special permission to fly a turbine, you'd have to file paper work, have a federal inspector look over your flying site, your equipment. You might need a fire truck on site, medics, etc.
In densely populated countries like Germany, I wonder how they manage?
I don't think they have a square inch of land that doesn't have a government agent assigned to monitoring it closely.
I've heard that hunting over there is very restrictive, expensive and a rich man's sport.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
hotrodblazer

From what I have heard,their main goal is full scale safety. while denying that this is anti -terrorist legislation.
They are concerned here about the thousands of "Joe Hobby"guys on any given Sunday that could lose control of a 3-4 lb 125mph plane and send it through the side of a 172 Cessna, not the quack that might strap a grenade on a turbine.
Yet there are rumors of the turbine ban along with a 50lb weight limit!
Bottom line is we all could be affected here and need to educate ourselves and those we fly with.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:12 PM
evan-RCU

I foresee controlled r/c sites that are very restrictive, better organized, expensive to join. I also forsee that the average park flyer will become an outlaw because they won't want to deal with the rules and costs even though their plane and helos will be within the rules. I think the clubs with their higher scrutiny and costs will pass these down to the members evenly and price the parkflyers away. My understanding is that the AMA is trying to get the AMA fields exempt from some of the new rules.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 PM
hotrodblazer

Another sticky point is the controls that are aimed at activity within 5 nautical miles of full size fields.
My club is 4 miles away from a small field and we rarely if ever even see aircraft within our horizon.
In fact, here in southeast Texas 3 of the clubs between here and Houston are within 5 miles of full size.
Right over the border in Louisiana, is the L.A.R.K.S. field,a well known large club with a beautiful facility.This club is within view of a small full size field,they have existed for decades with no problems,yet this regulation could spell this clubs demise.
Lets hope that our past safety record helps the AMA convince them to give us room to continue to operate.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM
freakingfast

I seen things I'd never thought I'd see happen in this country, so this comes as no surprise. However this new regulation may be more relivent to UAV (programed or out of out of sight) rather than RC, visual contact......I hope!

Lets see,..... how much freedom have I loss since I was young. How I buy, what type and where I can shoot a gun. Where I can off road, what time of the year I can use a certain type of dirt bike. Land closures(to humans period). Hop-ups that can be made on my car. Where I can drink a beer. My vote(and many others) overturned by ONE judge every time. And violations to just about every constitutional rights I had. But I do feel a lot safer......Ya Right.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:50 PM
smoknrv4

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

I seen things I'd never thought I'd see happen in this country, so this comes as no surprise. However this new regulation may be more relivent to UAV (programed or out of out of sight) rather than RC, visual contact......I hope!

Lets see,..... how much freedom have I loss since I was young. How I buy, what type and where I can shoot a gun. Where I can off road, what time of the year I can use a certain type of dirt bike. Land closures(to humans period). Hop-ups that can be made on my car. Where I can drink a beer. My vote(and many others) overturned by ONE judge every time. And violations to just about every constitutional rights I had. But I do feel a lot safer......Ya Right.
Oh come on ,its a free country don't you know.[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 12-12-2010, 08:51 PM
hotrodblazer

Yep! A free country where you must submit to having your genitalia examined before boarding a commercial flight.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Looks like we are going to have to speed up our model boats and cars!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 AM
jlingrel

I can see it now, the TSA at the field with Radar Guns, X-Ray machines and those lovely gloves they all wear, what is this country coming to?

John
Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont like them making these rules to punish us "rule" following people that fly. the guys that want to do harm with a model plane and try to hit an airliner will do it anyway. just like having a car alarm on your car. If a thief really wants your car he will steal it alarm or not.

most trainers fly at 70+mph, most sport planes get very close to 100. very easy to reach 120 with sport planes.

I would think a better wya to go would to not have a R/C field with in three miles of an airport.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:35 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I dont like them making these rules to punish us ''rule'' following people that fly. the guys that want to do harm with a model plane and try to hit an airliner will do it anyway.

EXACTLY!!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

What they will accomplish is making this stuff taxable.
Well there you have it just another tax on our fun.

They can have my turbine when they can pry it out of my dead cold hands!

Doing this to "protect General Avaition" come on now I see one GA plane a week over my house, three years ago it was 3 a day.
Private pilots numbers are falling fast, average age is skyrocketing.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
freakingfast

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Doing this to ''protect General Avaition'' come on now I see one GA plane a week over my house, three years ago it was 3 a day.
Private pilots numbers are falling fast, average age is skyrocketing.
Yup, my friend let his pilot license expire, he said "it's no fun anymore, ever since 9-11 and the expanded controlled air space". Every time he'd take off, someone at TRACON would ask his destination and micromanage his entire flight, no more "hey, what's over there let's go see that".
Old 12-18-2010, 06:31 PM
iron eagel

A very sad state of affairs indeed. It looks as if they are trying to lump us into the UAV's this is not at all right.

Everybody should be prepared to write some letters during the public comment period as well as get ready to write letters to their congressman and senator, for what any of that is worth....
Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
In densely populated countries like Germany, I wonder how they manage?
I don't think they have a square inch of land that doesn't have a government agent assigned to monitoring it closely.
I've heard that hunting over there is very restrictive, expensive and a rich man's sport.
They seem to be doing just fine in Germany:

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...185100&page=11
http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...rt_049-01.html
http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=118568

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx98gqKp7VU[/youtube]
The guy with the camera cannot keep up...
Old 12-19-2010, 06:22 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: daven

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I dont like them making these rules to punish us ''rule'' following people that fly. the guys that want to do harm with a model plane and try to hit an airliner will do it anyway.

EXACTLY!!!!
keep posting things like this and they will probably ban RC model flight altogether..........let me give you a real life example.

up to about 1985 we use to fly at the north end of a Fresno city park called Woodward park. everything was fine, never had an incident. the park has several ponds that became attractive to sail boat runners. these guys did not care that we RC flyers on the north end (that had been there for at least 15 years) had frequency control amongst us and we only used air frequncies. nope, they used whatever frequency they felt like and you guessed it, there became some interference issues. they were asked politely to stop using air frequencies.......basic reply was "drop dead".............then a real braniac from our group goes to the park manager and explains how the sailboat drivers could indeed cause an incident if an RC airplane was to lose contol and thus hit someone.................the next day our runway with the use of tractor and disc got plowed under...........end of RC airplanes. the sailboats got banned as well.

posting what "can" happen regardless of what rulings take place gives these idiots all the ammo they need to shut down all our fun.
it's all they need to justify such an action too.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 AM
DeferredDefect

I bet I will be able to get myself a turbine model cheap now...
Would this only effect the United States?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 AM
DeferredDefect

Wait - the FAA does realise most models these days will do 100 mph, even some of the ready to fly foamies?
I can't wait to see the future.. Models advertised as "100 mph Legal", all of the high end brands going under for park flyers....
Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

I bet I will be able to get myself a turbine model cheap now...
Would this only effect the United States?
yep and the import fee you poor chaps pay will make it a rather expensive purchase..........great thinking.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Just wait till some kid loses his "foamy" over the Obama house.

All the Air Hogs and the like will be confiscated by the SS!!! ( secrete service)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.