Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

weston magnum

Old 07-31-2003, 11:26 PM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default weston magnum

I saw one at the field yesterday but the guy had an accident. This thing was fast! I want one but don't know what to get. Can you guys help me? Tell me if I should get the combo or what?
Old 08-01-2003, 12:09 AM
strong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weston magnum

I got the combo from my local hobby shop.Took me about two days to put together .It's a great plane but for expert pilots only.(IMO)The plane is very fast and will disappear in just a few seconds.If you make it though the first flight the battle is half won.It's a very easy kit to assemble.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:51 AM
C. Spencer

Default weston magnum

You can get the Magnum at modelbau-usa.com. Definitely get the package.

Can anyone tell me of a good source for speed props, ie. 8x8? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:59 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default weston magnum

I'd get the combo... side exhaust .50 engines that give this kind of performance are not very common...

The plane wiil fly on other engines also, but if you want to use it for what it was designed you need a hot, fast engine
Old 08-01-2003, 07:22 AM
ledd4u
My Feedback: (23)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default weston magnum

Thanks guys. I noticed also that the magnum is hand launched. The guy at my field had a quicke 500 type wheel setup. I am sure he modified the design. I hate launching stuff. It took of just like a quicke, it kind of reminded me of my days in racing the 500's. What mods are needed to prevent this kit from having any structual failures in flight or are the needed?
Old 08-01-2003, 07:44 AM
Rudeboy

Default weston magnum

The only thing I really changed was chucking the M3 metal wing bolts... I once found that one of them had come loose during flight...

I now have a single M5 nylon bolt in there... much better and safer...

You can put a gear on it, but make sure to reinforce the surrounding structure if you do, because it is not made for a gear. If you cut the wing sheeting for a gear, put some glass on it or something.
If you put the gear under the nose... there is room in the tank compartment for some reinforcements, so it should work out.

The plane is a bit of a pig to launch (not much to grab), but once the engine and pipe are set up for maximum performance it sorta pulls right out of your hand... even on an 8x8...
Old 08-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default weston magnum

rudeboy: make sure you pack the wing plate right out to the wing, John had the same as you and two years and a over tighten later, snap, bingo, one 250mph Maggers, but only for a few seonds
Old 08-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Rudeboy

Default weston magnum

I put a new bolt plate on the wing that stretches just to the sides of the fuse... and I put one one the other side just for the heck of it...

I reinforced the bolt plate in the fuse with a piece of 3mm multiplex and I filled the other side so it's flush with the fuse sides... this way the wing trailing edge doesn't get bent when I tighten the wing bolt...

That sucker is going nowhere...
Old 08-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Ian.W

Default weston magnum

try a 8x10. you know. VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Bang, crash walap
Old 08-10-2003, 02:05 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

Default weston magnum

I saw a 'worn' one of these yesterday at another field. Loos simple enough. Is the wing really a flat plate? Or was this one I saw an imitation of the Weston Magnum? HE had an OS 46 on pipe in his....

phil in austin
Old 08-10-2003, 02:11 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default weston magnum

first came a kit with a flat wing and lexan canopy, wing was fixed.., then we copied that and added a foam wing about the time the ARTF current Magnum was created. too long ago to know which came first, but Weston and our club have links, one came about because of the other