Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Anyone use 'boomerang' launch style?

Old 08-09-2003, 02:41 AM
Frag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Anyone use 'boomerang' launch style?

I was at the field the other day with my new Shrike and I realized that I probably would need some help anytime I would be flying it. A couple of guys said that some folks use a 'boomerang' or 'frisbee' type launch holding on to one wing and flicking it while giving full throttle. Sounded kinda risky to me though. I'm thinking of building a launch pad like others have here on the forum. Or, maybe a dolly type setup.....other than that I guess its just personal choice?
Old 08-09-2003, 01:00 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I heard the same thing before....never seen anyone trying it and still kind of skeptical of me trying it.

I also heard where some hold one wing tip and set other wingtip on ground, hit WOT and then swing plane out and up. Something like that...
Old 08-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Frag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was at the field just a while ago and flew the Shrike. The first couple of flights I would WOT and a friend would give it a shove in the right direction and off it went. Well, he was busy so I said what the h*** (heck) and picked it up, gave it glow and hit it with the starter. CAREFULLY picked it up with the right hand, gave WOT with left hand, threw it out straight 45 degrees and there it went. No problem. Just make sure your engine doesn't have a tendency to hesitate or stall. That would be bad on a hand launch.