Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

VQ Yak-9 as a racer

Old 03-20-2011, 03:59 AM
monkeygutz69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default VQ Yak-9 as a racer

I was looking to purchase a WM Mustang .46 as My warbird racer, but My LHS had a VQ Yak-9 on clearance (normally $179.00) for $100. It was to pretty to pass up. When I opened it up I saw it is covered in sticky covering and wood that looks "ok",but doesn't really look like it would stand a larger than normal engine. I was planning on using a TH .75 for go-power. Anyone here modify a VQ for this? What kind of reinforcements would be needed for SAM's Silver class. We don't have a Warbird Racing Class at My field, but I want a fast bird and something other than a Mustang. Thanks in advance, TJ
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: VQ Yak-9 as a racer

Typical Chineeze ARF look prety but not made very well.

All glue joints should be inspected and corrected... Firewall and Wing mounts are prone to fail with excess power.

four 1/4-20 nylon bolts for the wing (like the pylon reacers use) front dowels may not hold.

Toss out the supplied hardware and buy QUALITY 2-56 or 4-40 (Du-Bro Robart RocketCity Sulivan for example)
Old 03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
monkeygutz69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: VQ Yak-9 as a racer

Crazy4Flight,thanks.I probably should have saved up some more cash and got the WM Mustang, but this seemed like to good a deal to pass up. I will go over the Yak with a fine tooth comb. Thanks again, TJ