Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

weston magnum rpm's?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

weston magnum rpm's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 03:57 PM
xcellman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weston magnum rpm's?

Just wondering what rpms everyone is getting. I still think my engine is not at its full potential. After almost 30 flights the engine is still very difficult to turn over and makes a loud sqeaking noise. The noise is so bad that sometimes when I first start the engine I can hear the squeaking over the noise of the engine idling. Of course this goes away after the engine is warmed up. I'm thinking about getting a new piston and sleeve. I do know how to tune a pipe and I'm getting the following rpms

apc 9x6 18,500
apc 8x8 18,000

The plane is much faster with the 9x6 right now and everyone says to use an 8x8 so I don't know whats going on.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:35 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just started breakin' my engine in yesterday. I get the same rpm's on a 9x6.

I could not tell from your post if you adjusted the manifold (you only say you know how to tune a pipe).The instructions (as well as everyone on this forum) says to shorten manifold 1" if you are going to use an 8x8. Did you do this yet???
Old 08-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Luke 3D returns

the engine could still be running in. My irvine 53 was like that for ages.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

only 30? why it's just a baby.
give it hell and IF it breaks, you'll get a new one. my T1 is still a bit squeeky until it warms up. The V1 dosn't run for long, despite RPM's, so it takes a while to run in, the ones here are over a year old, get constant use and just get faster and faster
Old 08-13-2003, 01:21 PM
xcellman

ok guys thanks for the info. I just thought I read where people were getting over 19000 on the 8x8. I think rudeboy even said he was getting over 20,000 with the head shim. So when I switched to the 8x8 and performance went down I was dissapointed. Guess I'll run the 9x6 for awhile. By the way, I do have approximately and inch off the header.
Old 08-13-2003, 06:03 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm getting 19,000 on an 8x8 after only about 35 runs and I haven't shortened my header yet, that comes next
The airspeed is faster with the 8x8 than the 9x7 I was running, but launch is more difficult with the 8x8. Time to shorten the header
Old 08-14-2003, 12:15 AM
Mattyb

guys, just be carefull when cutting the header. dont automaticaly take a whole inch off. I was getting 17500 on an 8x8 then took about 1/3 inch off and jumped up to 19500. if you go to far you will lose rpms.

Mattyb
Old 08-14-2003, 06:55 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I cut almost a whole inch off the header... and I am now in the process of cutting up the pipe.. I'm nearly there...

So far I took about 8 millimeters off the pipe...

It now gets on the pipe on the 8x8, but it needs a helluva long dive to get on the pipe on a 8x9... like I said, I'm nearly there...

It's just that I have to order some new engine parts before I can let her rip again...
Old 08-17-2003, 09:57 AM
LOONY BOY

In total I have cut off a good 1 inch and I cannot go any further on the header but at the moment my west with 10% coolpower and 8x8 APC with west UK No4 plug is turning 20700rpm and now just like rudeboy I'm starting on the pipe, hope It will go even higher.
LOONYBOY
Old 08-18-2003, 05:32 AM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

Pulse Jet? Tell me more
Old 08-18-2003, 12:07 PM
LOONY BOY

mumblety-peg there is so much to tell but I will start with the pulsejet, it's called the brauner design and can be found here
http://home3.inet.tele.dk/kennethm/.
I have finished the diffuser and all fuel parts but the tail pipe is the biggest pain, I don't want to cut and roll stainless sheet this time so will try to spin the pipe in a lathe with a mandrel made to the correct dimensions, this will be the big pain in the ass.
I will try and upload some pics as I go.
As for the dust I have to make it as heat proof as possible and use a massive tank as pulsejets drink a lot, launching should not be a problem with the help of a bungee.
Don't know if it will fly properly but that's not going to stop me
LOONY BOY
Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 PM
xcellman

thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna try a new piston and sleeve if I can get one. what's amazing is the range of performance everyone is getting.