Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Damaged Dust Down Safe

Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Damaged Dust Down Safe

It had been a year since I pulled out the standard wing dust with the YS 45 FR engine. This plane has had many hundreds of flights on it before I had to re-hinge the elverons. Instead of re-covering the whole thing, I just went the lazy route and ran the covering in and out of the hinge gap. I didn't like this because of having a covering edge into the wind is not a good idea, but I'm good right? Well, around 50 flights after the repairs, the gap repair let go. Perhaps a better pre-flight would have caught it.

The launch was flawless and I was just starting to make friends with it and I heard a strange scream from the plane on the forth high speed pass, then in the turn back, I noticed it handled strange so I throttled back to land. The slower it got, the harder it was to control. On the final, the right stick was everywhere to compensate. Once it was over the runway I had little control, it was still fast but I wanted it down so I got it close to the deck at which point it just pancaked from about a foot and a half high, then slid to a stop. The hard landing only added two small tears in it, the landing whiskers couldn't hold it away. On post flight inspection, it seems that the covering got more and more into the airstream as it slowed. Shear speed had folded the covering backward, more so on one side and this spoiled the air on the bottom of the control surface. Think the darned thing's going to live to fly again.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21089.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1600391  
Old 04-28-2011, 09:45 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Damaged Dust Down Safe

Nice save![X(]
Will it fly again and what are you going to do to repair it? Re-cover maybe?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:42 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's what my planes look like when they're brand new..!

FF, you've paid your dues to the Speed Gods, so they granted you mercy on that one.

Don't forget to crack open a beer and spill some on the ground before every flying session.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:04 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Smokin, it's a recover job, no biggie. CP, flying something fast gets my heat pumping, but landing this plane was like landing a prize bass. What a fight! I like your beer idea, but the club safety committee would have problems with the part of the beer that never made it to the ground.....hic......hic...oooops sorry about that low pass guys,....what's that? No worry's dude, I won't even charge you for that hair cut.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:21 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The "landing a fish" analogy is a good one...I can picture that. You probably also looked like you were doing a Ted Nugent air guitar...?

That's me when I'm trying to fly 3D, Mr. Guitar Hero out there.