Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Engine & Pipe for Outlaw delta ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Engine & Pipe for Outlaw delta ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 PM
poiyt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine & Pipe for Outlaw delta ARF?

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

I forgot to mention, for the first few flights you can try running an 9x4 if you're a bit wary if a quick delta or if this is your first speed plane. It won't give you the best performance, but it will launch easier for you.

So Duck you down in Columbus, eh (did somebody say Aflac?? lol)? I'm here in Newnan and we have a couple really good nitro heli pilots from Columbus who come up to our Newnan Coweta club and fly with us now & then...so you need to come up too! We're having a big funfly in June so watch for that. We had over 75 registered pilots at the last one- very successful.

Now on your Outlaw...what motor & pipe? I've been getting my speed chops in with my Stryker and Funjet...now I'm ready to step up and the Outlaw is the only ARF delta I know of (just really not interested in kits)?

Yeah to start (assuming I can find a motor & pipe) I'd probably go more with a torque prop. On the servo side would S3004's get-er-done?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:26 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an OS .35AX w/Macs pipe and header on my Outlaw. Turns right around 17K on 10% Wildcat and APC 9-6. When this thing unloads in the air, it HOWLS! The pipe and header came from an OS .32F that I finally blew up on a Laser Arrow delta. The Outlaw met it's end shortly after one of the elevon servos quit, but the engine came away just fine. The OS's are a bit spendy, but they sure can handle abuse. The .35AX is now on a .15-.25 size sport model that should maiden in the next few weeks.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 PM
rcguy59

475HB's MINIMUM on the elevons. Metal gear would be even better. You might get away with a 3004 on the rudder. Just be sure to run a 6V rx pack.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: poiyt

Now on your Outlaw...what motor & pipe? I've been getting my speed chops in with my Stryker and Funjet...now I'm ready to step up and the Outlaw is the only ARF delta I know of (just really not interested in kits)?

On the servo side would S3004's get-er-done?

I am running an OS .32SX with the stock muffler, and an APC 8x8

You might get away with 3004s, but they aren't ideal. This is a really fun plane when you have enough torque in the servos to move your controls to max throw, even at full speed. This would not be the same plane without positive control authority.

I'm at work now, but I'll check what servos I have in mine in the morning. I'm thinking I used Spektrum DS821 digitals, but I'll double check to be sure. For the throttle it doesn't matter what you use, so long as it is small enough to fit.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:05 PM
poiyt

[/quote]

I am running an OS .32SX with the stock muffler, and an APC 8x8

You might get away with 3004s, but they aren't ideal. This is a really fun plane when you have enough torque in the servos to move your controls to max throw, even at full speed. This would not be the same plane without positive control authority.

I'm at work now, but I'll check what servos I have in mine in the morning. I'm thinking I used Spektrum DS821 digitals, but I'll double check to be sure. For the throttle it doesn't matter what you use, so long as it is small enough to fit.
[/quote]

Duck great point. How about these:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/37gexidised11.html

Digital, 83oz torque at 6V

10-4 on max throw in high rates. I have my Funjet elevons set at about 40-deg deflection on high, and the roll rate at full speed is beyond incredible...maybe 5-6 revolutions per sec?? Wow what a blur.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really need to film my Demon at high speed on full aileron.. the roll rate is out of this world. I bet the Outlaw is similar. Fun fun.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Lomcevak Duck

poiyt, I can't speak to the quality of those servos, as I've never used them, or heard of them for that matter.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:58 PM
warhawk demon

how would a OS 40SF do on a outlaw if you were looking for speed instead of aerobatics..
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 PM
rcguy59

Mine was a bit nose-heavy with the .35AX/nitro pipe. A .40SF would require serious ballast. Not much fuel capacity, either.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
rcguy59

If you want speed, get a Screamon demon. MUCH thinner wing.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Lomcevak Duck

I wouldn't want my Outlaw to be any heavier than it is. As a delta gains weight it becomes exponentially more difficult to launch and the induced drag increases significantly, which will work against your goal of maximum top speed.

Stay with a .32-.36 class engine and you will be much happier.

Not to mention that the Outlaw has a wing designed more for high speed aerobatics than straight line speed. There are many better choices if top speed is your primary concern.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 AM
MartyH
My Feedback: (16)

I have a Mecoa 28 on a Mousse can muffler on my new Outlaw and it is crazy fast. I have no idea why you would need more. You guys thinking 40 and above I think are making a mistake. The manufacturer is very clear about not overpowering this model and I dont think it is just a CG issue. You can see my Outlaw in the Airplane for sale listings as I'm trying to get back to a scale aerobatic project.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Outlaw needs medium torque, medium speed, good centering wing servos. Great statement right? Just like 100mph is fast to some and slow to others this doesn't mean a thing. 70inoz, 0.15sec/60deg with good centering. Rudder needs higher torque, same speed, and to me centering is not as critical. Throttle, I use a mini, not micro that has decent torque.

The Outlaw is NOT a speed plane it is an acrobat that happens to be happy at 120mph. A .28 to .35 small cased motor on a pipe and a 8X7 or 8X8 if your motor will pull it is the happy zone.

There are many planes like a Diamond Dust or Demon if you want a delta or numerous others if you just want SPEEED. The Outlaw is also fun to modify as it is such a great airframe design.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62308.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1607461   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44867.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1607462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45256.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1607463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16428.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1607464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33701.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1607465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59704.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1607466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91892.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	1607467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70902.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1607468  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41331.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1607469  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
poiyt

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

The Outlaw needs medium torque, medium speed, good centering wing servos. Great statement right? Just like 100mph is fast to some and slow to others this doesn't mean a thing. 70inoz, 0.15sec/60deg with good centering. Rudder needs higher torque, same speed, and to me centering is not as critical. Throttle, I use a mini, not micro that has decent torque.

The Outlaw is NOT a speed plane it is an acrobat that happens to be happy at 120mph. A .28 to .35 small cased motor on a pipe and a 8X7 or 8X8 if your motor will pull it is the happy zone.

There are many planes like a Diamond Dust or Demon if you want a delta or numerous others if you just want SPEEED. The Outlaw is also fun to modify as it is such a great airframe design.

Evan, good stuff, bro. Breaking it down... I plan to run a 6V/750-850mah pack, 3x control surface servos 83oz torque at 17-sec, and an HS81 on throttle. I'm in contact with a guy now who has a Webra 32 w/ a mousse-can muffler/stinger.

In looking at the fast delta's, I've heard exactly what you've said: there are faster straight-line models... eg the Dust & Demon, but apparently the Outlaw has some unique aspects that make it able to perform beyond what 'normal' delta's can do.

This of course, is what attracted me to this model since extreme flight is all I know (or try to).

So hitting 125mph and going into radical manuvers is...to say the least...intriguing.

Will I need a jetapult to launch this thing???

thx
Jeff

Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
evan-RCU

Launch is super easy but of course the first time for any hand launch can cause stress. I hold my by the fin where the nose is poited up at about 20 degrees and maybe a little right lean, full throttle and a gentle toss and it's gone. The slight right lean is to correct for a little torque on release. It really is easy and you'll say "that's all there is to a launch" after the first time.

Sounds like a good set up. One word about the moose/ mouse can muffler, you want a decent size, about 1.25 diameter and 6 inches long. I ran them on mine for a long time but they break apart after a lot of flights so I just ended up putting a Macs tuned pipe on mine.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Duck you have any video of your 32 turning a 8x8 APC at 18,000 on the stock muffler?

Also i have a used Webra 32 set up for a Jett pipe if interested. i dont remember the numbers but i cant put it on the stand and get some numbers if interested in it.

the Jett 35 i have will spin a 8x7APC at 21,500
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM
poiyt

Launch is super easy but of course the first time for any hand launch can cause stress. I hold my by the fin where the nose is poited up at about 20 degrees and maybe a little right lean, full throttle and a gentle toss and it's gone. The slight right lean is to correct for a little torque on release. It really is easy and you'll say ''that's all there is to a launch'' after the first time.

Sounds like a good set up. One word about the moose/ mouse can muffler, you want a decent size, about 1.25 diameter and 6 inches long. I ran them on mine for a long time but they break apart after a lot of flights so I just ended up putting a Macs tuned pipe on mine.

Thx Evan. On the mousse pipe...I presume it ises the macs header? If so, then an easy matter to just put a macs pipe on the macs header?

While we're at it, what's the difference between a mousse can (which needs a macs header?) and a macs header + pipe? Which setup to use & when?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 AM
evan-RCU

A moose/ mouse can uses a Macs header and a short length of the header pipe JB Weld glued into it. Out the back you use a peice of aluminium tubing. Tuning is important with this or a tuned pipe. The tuned pipe is a little louder and give a tad more power plus it is one peice so no glue joint to loosen over time. I'll find a good picture of one to post...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48205.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1607569  
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 AM
poiyt

A moose/ mouse can uses a Macs header and a short length of the header pipe JB Weld glued into it. Out the back you use a peice of aluminium tubing. Tuning is important with this or a tuned pipe. The tuned pipe is a little louder and give a tad more power plus it is one peice so no glue joint to loosen over time. I'll find a good picture of one to post...

Thx....so the takeaway is...a macs header & pipe is prefered to a mousse can/stinger??
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Lomcevak Duck

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Duck you have any video of your 32 turning a 8x8 APC at 18,000 on the stock muffler?
I think maybe you misunderstood what I meant. It has not been my experience that an OS .32SX will turn an 8x8 at 18k on the standard muffler. It will turn a 9x7 or 9x8 cut down to 7 inches in that range on the stock muffler, and it is pretty well documented that it will turn an 8x8 at 18k+ with a tuned exhaust. I believe that combatpigg has achieved 18k with an 8x8 on just a macs muffler (which is untuned, but slightly more open than the stock muffler).

Just for extra info, I run 15% nitro fuel to get this performance.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

I power mine with an OS .32SX and the stock muffler. They have been out of production for a while now, but come up on Ebay NIB for less than $100 all the time. A few months back I bought three for $70-$75 each, NIB. They'll turn an 8x8 at 18,000 no problem and are notoriously easy to run and last forever. I've never worn one out, and I've run one for 10 years before I lost it. (In a kudzu patch) They also respond well to tuned pipes.

No matter what you choose for power, be sure to use a bladder tank, like the Jett or Tetra.

Sorry duck this is what i based it off of. I just saw were you said power yours with stock muffler and will turn an 8x8 at 18,000 easily.

Yes with a pipe they will run close to 18,000. with a little timing work can get them close to 18,500 on a jett pipe

The new 35 AX needs alot of internal work, mild port, chamber, timing and carb to get them to run very strong but once done = to most others.

The strongest engine in this size range that our engine guy works on is the Irvine 39. very strong engine once "tuned" 17,300 on a 9x8 APC
Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 PM
warhawk demon

had the 40 laying around doing nothing. i was thinking a little nose hevy was better than spending 400 dollarson a new motor and pipe
Old 05-12-2011, 04:17 PM
warhawk demon

so what would the stock 35ax do with a pipe? or would you look at something else for the money.. the jet would be nice but really dont want to spend that much on this plane.. already got the plane banking on the 40 so im stuck with it .lol  
Old 05-12-2011, 04:38 PM
poiyt

Fellas this is a noob question, slightly off-topic so I dont mean to hijack my own thread here...

These Outlaws (kits or arf's)...are they like...yesterday's news?? When I do a search, the threads that seem to pop up are like... from 2006 thru 2008?? ...not that it's a bad thing, since they're obviously kewl, but is there a "been there done that" aspect to something that's...shall we say.. a few years old?

What I'm getting at is...is there something out there more "2011", or are these models best-in-class?

Just a noob, musing between sips of adult beverage...

Old 05-12-2011, 05:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would like to try one of these planes. This plane has performed well enough to be mass marketed and I haven't heard of a delta that out performs it aerobatically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.