Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

I Found a New Rossi 53 in an old hobby shop!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

I Found a New Rossi 53 in an old hobby shop!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Mikie 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Found a New Rossi 53 in an old hobby shop!!

Hi Guys, I just had to tell someone!! Yesterday I was in an old (been in business a long time) hobby shop while visiting Phoenix Airzona. It is a place called Frank's Hobbies. I am only here for several days, but I searched for hobby shops in town and came across Frank's.
While I was browsing towards the back of the shop I saw a red box, in a glass cabinet, with "Rossi" on it. I asked to see what was in the box and was shown a brand new - never used, Rossi 53 with the long - oversized black muffler and spring. There was also a Rossi #6 "cold plug" in the box as well. I picked it pu for $100.
Then, right next to the Rossi box was another box that soared my interest...it was another brand new Webra 55 (made in Austria - so was the Rossi). I bougt both of them for $200.
Somehow I feel pretty good about this trip to Arizona - THANKS Frank's Hobbies!!!

I have no idea where I'll use the engines...yet. OH MY...I guess I'll have to go shopping!!!

Mikie
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM
BiggerDanno

Default RE: I Found a New Rossi 53 in an old hobby shop!!

Nice find!
One of the guys I fly with has a 53 in his Kaos. Stays even with my Kaos with an OS 55 AX and Jett pipe.
The Rossi needs to run blubbering rich to keep from blowing plugs on 15%

I think the 53's are still available.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

ifs its a new in box rossi it will have extra head shims use them it will show its heels to any stock ax55.....been there still there
Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

I have one NIB also, I've heard good things about these, also I've heard they take a long time to break in, is this true?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

On the Rossie, I am not sure. The Webra break in period is critcal, two gallons before you hunker down to a 9 X 10 or 10 X 10, My Webra speed 53 outruns my Jett 60 L X at half the cost. I doubt if wht Webra will outlive the Jett though.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: BiggerDanno

Nice find!
One of the guys I fly with has a 53 in his Kaos. Stays even with my Kaos with an OS 55 AX and Jett pipe.
The Rossi needs to run blubbering rich to keep from blowing plugs on 15%

I think the 53's are still available.

I run a .45 with some mods on 15% but as one poster already commented, you need to add a head shim. If you don't have any in the box, you can call SG Engines.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:52 PM
smoknrv4

Whats the break- in procedure for these engines?
Old 06-10-2011, 06:23 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Both the Rossi and Webra55(black head) like less than 10% unless you add a head shim or you could be pop'in plugs or worse. For break-in, let them scream (on the bench) with a light load prop like a 9X7 APC (Rossi) 9X8 APC (Webra) bit rich on fuel that has some castor as part of it's oil for three tanks. Up the prop load and fly. The 55 likes a 9X10 max on a fast plane like a Viper.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 AM
lfinney

i usually add all the shims then after break in start removing them one at a time till the plugs say ouch, i like merlin plugs and kb1-L but mcoy plugs run well too
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Mikie 1

Guys, thank you for the in-put. I'm going to take very good care of both of these engines.
I've seen it mentioned that both engines were designed to run on about 5% nitro, it that true? If so it might be hard for me to find without having to order a case of the stuff (but I would if I had too...DUHhh [>:]).
There were no shims in the box, but I'll order several.

I also have a Jett 35 that screams and so I'll be looking to see how these two pair-up. I'm in the process of covering a Lanier Shrike 40 I started from scratch...this will be interesting.
One final note - I also recently purchased a "Just Engines" (J'EN 53 with a long "purple pipe"). I was, untill yesterday, thinking of replacing the origionally intended Evo 46 and placing the J'EN 53 in it instead. But...now...I don't know what to do. I'm as confused as a kid in a candy store!!?!??

Mikie (Cincinnati, OH)
Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 PM
smoknrv4

Does the stock black mini pipe work well with these engines or is a JETT pipe better? The mini pipe they come with is darn ugly.[:'(]
Old 06-11-2011, 05:30 PM
lfinney

they are very close in performance yeah they are ugly...cheap and ugly
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mikkie

If ya wanna make that 53 sing.....do the following>>>>

First make sure there are no shims under the liner, if there is.... take them out and make sure the liner is ALL the way DOWN,
Looking thru the exh. port, use a scribe and mark the liner to the highest point and width,
Remove the liner and useing a dremel, remove material upto the scribed line and to the max width you marked earlier
This is where a degree wheel is now needed.....time out the exhaust (no 0.004 gasket) and see what you have, you will more than likely have to do more dremeling but this time it must be at an upward angle of aprox 30 degree, do this in small steps to creep up on the timing of 185 dgrees,
Once at 185 clean all parts thoroughly, now install the 0.004 liner shim,
This modification i have personely found wakes up a ROSSI with outstanding results,
I have a crappy old viper with a second hand rossi bought off RCU, i have no more than $200-250 in this thing and it will boogie at 160 + mph with good throttle reliability,
I have many rossi spares that i R&D to get the most go-go, plus i've been playing with rossi's for over 20 years.
If you want......send it to me and i'll make that baby sing at 19.5K + rpm with a 8.8x9

Regards-

Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 AM
scoeroo

Smokn,

The pipe to use is dubb's black short Q500 pipe
The factory pipe aint really that crash hot.......
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Mikie 1

Scoeroo,

I am not un-familure with grinding things with a Dremel, however, your modification is something I can't visualize just now.
You may have noticed "speedracerntrixie's" (above) suggestion I contact SG Engines... So, I went to thier web site, to look for more shims, but then I saw thier; Virtual Power, VP Engine Modifying SGVP set and now have no idea what to do.

Are the moifications they made the same as what you suggest (it doesn't seem so...)?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated... and is this something I should do to a new engine? And, finally, if I run the engine "as is" what plug would you suggest if I'm planing to use 15% nitro? ...or 5%?

Again, thanks to all for your encouragment!!!

Mikie

Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM
scoeroo

Mikie-

That VP engine cost a pretty penny.....AXE are not going to disclose what rossi do to that engine, you basicly gota buy one and open it to find out, VP engines have high exhaust timing in cojunction with inlet and transfer port swirll enhancement, the bigest carb you can get is the webra 11mm venturi with 16mm neck and even then you can bore it to 12mm safely,
The rossi 53 is a ballsy motor, sink some money into it and it will SSCCRREEAAMM....i am getting aprox 19500 rpm (TNC tach) on the ground with an 8.8x9 and when it unloads i figure i'm getting another 2 to 3k rpm
I actually prefer a used one as you can pick them up relativly cheap here on RCU, then you can mod it out as i previously described mine has been clocked consistantly at 155 -160mph, not bad for a crapped out old motor....