Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Unexpected power gain

Old 08-07-2011, 04:36 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Unexpected power gain

I had to do a bearing change on one of my OS 46 VXDF engines. This is a well used engine but just as strong as the day it was broken-in and this is the third change it's going on. This time I went with stainless/polymite retainer rear and steel/polymite front. I purchased them from Boca because they had what I needed for the rear bearing, the others didn't. Like always, the two seals were pulled from the rear bearing. Usually, I then pull one seal off the front bearing, this time I left both on. This is a rear intake engine, so there's no port in the crankshaft. On most engines there is a close running fit between the shaft and the housing to keep the case pressure in. On these engines the fit seem looser, so I opted to keep both seals on the front bearing.

I cant give you a new speed number, but other several guys said it was noticeably faster then before, so it wasn't just my imagination. This is about the twentieth flight on the new bearings.