Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Airspeed indicator for $99

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)
View Poll Results: A poll
would buy for $99
75.00%
too expensive
25.00%
wouldn't need one
0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Airspeed indicator for $99

Old 09-02-2003, 05:45 PM
RampRat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airspeed indicator for $99

Sounds expensive...

As a "gadgetarian" i would seriously consider buying this product based on the feats discused in this thread. With KPH in the display, and with a static-port, this product does indeed appeal to me...

The more feats the better, but selling a "basic unit" for under $100, and perhaps selling "add-ons" for it for those with more requirements than featured in the basic unit, sounds like a good idea to me.... As i mentioned, a add-on altimeter-unit would also be very tempting...
Old 09-03-2003, 01:23 AM
AirSpeed-RCU

I am definitely developing a unit. It's well on its way. The question is do I play with it or try to market it. Thats one of the reasons I'm here. I started this poll to see if enough people were interested for me to make a go of it. The response has been very positive so far but the quantities aren't there. After saying that I must say that I don't have much experience with forms and don't know what kin of numbers to expect.

As far as cost of the unit goes the common electronic parts are cheap. The hardware, sensor and circuit board are relatively expensive not to mention the labor and development (actually the development's the fun part). In order for it to be worth while I need to order all the components in quantity (at least 100).

As you can see from the number I'm not out to make a fortune. Just trying to have fun developing, learning some new stuff and maybe make it cheaper to answer the question once and for all "It went how fast?!!!!" (and maybe "How high?").
Old 09-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can be sure of the fact that there are a lot more people interested in such a gadget than the ones that have had their say in this thread. Especially if you can keep it cheap...
It's just that most people who have nothing useful to contribute don't post anything.
Now, about not being sure there is enough market for your device... that's called doing business... it involves risk...
But I'm quite sure that if you made up a batch of 100 (properly designed, light, and precise) units to sell at 99 bucks a pop they would be gone in no time with a little advertising... Did you ever look at the rates for a banner like the ones that appear at the top of every RCU page? It's not all that expensive... and maybe throw in an add or two in a couple of popular magazine and you're ready to go...
But that's only my view on things of course...

I'm going to talk to the fellow in our club that made the altitude data logger to ask him what he thinks about all this... maybe I can talk him into building me something and I can play test pilot...
Old 09-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SWITCHABLE CRUISE CONTROL

Originally posted by seanreit
On features...............Three Words

SWITCHABLE CRUISE CONTROL

In other words, I can switch a preset cruise control on and off from the transmitter.

I have RAM/MINIHOBBIES AutoSpeed.

MINI-HOBBIES ATL offeres 2 speed limiters:
One would limit max velocity Vne.
The other would have Vne and an adjustable V minimum (stall ) that could be turned on/off using an aux channel.

http://www.minihobby.com/electronics/index.htm
http://www.minihobby.com/electronics/autospeed.htm
http://www.minihobby.com/electronics/autocop.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	107856_14562.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	57995  
Old 09-17-2003, 10:47 PM
AirSpeed-RCU

Default RE: Airspeed indicator for $99

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

Now, about not being sure there is enough market for your device... that's called doing business... it involves risk...
But I'm quite sure that if you made up a batch of 100 (properly designed, light, and precise) units to sell at 99 bucks a pop they would be gone in no time with a little advertising...

The investment needed to start is substantial. So without the proper research and feed back I could turn this project into a $99 toy worth about $3000 or more(i.e not enough sales). The main reason for the expense is the circuit boards. I wouldn't think of doing this with home made boards. Home made boards are not as reliable as manufactured and I do plan on making a quality product.
I did check the ad rates out as you suggested and they are quite reasonable. I'm excited about doing this and appreciate the input I have received so far. I won't forget those that helped me if this project materializes.

Did you talk to your frieind at the club? Did he have any suggestions or comments?
Old 09-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BobParkinson offer a unit with a tx and Rx to give live speed readings about 400.00

http://www.rcjets.com./
Old 09-18-2003, 08:39 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

AirSpeed,
If you need any help with the CAD for the boards let me know. I work as a EE at an Electronics Engineering Company. I have access to all the goodies. Also for the PC boards you are best to get a max for min. It's not too expensive that way.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 09-18-2003, 09:25 PM
AirSpeed-RCU

Thanks very much for the offer but I too am in the electronics industry and have access to CAD tools.

What do you mean by max for min.?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:36 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Max for min---From our board house we can get as many boards from a piece of 200sq inch board. Sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes it's not. There are also some cheap proto houses out there also. You can get a proto as low as 3 boards for $100.00. The max for min for us is about $500.00.
Here are a couple of proto places
http://www.zoompcb.com/fast1.cfm
http://www.pcbnet.com/
Thanks,
Craig
Old 09-21-2003, 10:29 PM
AirSpeed-RCU

ckoerner

Excellent. These guys are great for what I want to do.

Thanks Very Much