Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

ID Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:48 PM
KansasFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ID Help!

Howdy everyone! I recently acquired this aircraft from my uncle and the mystery continues as to what it is. He's never flown it, and the guy who gave it to him has never flown it. It looks like the Kelly Racer that Kyosho put out a few years ago but, it's plumbed for nitro as opposed to electric. I'd really like to get it in the air and chase my brother's viper around but, I'm a little hesitant since I have no information about it. It appears to be fiberglass construction (which needs a few patches) and is comparable in size to most of the Parkzone warbirds in terms of reference. I'm away from my shop right now so I'm unable to take accurate dimensions. Some of you speedy types may have come across this aircraft before, so I'm relying on that expertise. Any help would be tremendous because I'm very much ready to fly it. Thanks!
Matt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34056.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1680211  
Old 10-29-2011, 04:00 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: ID Help!

Looks like a Little Tony to me. I think Prather made them.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 AM
gltruett
My Feedback: (23)

It's a Kelly. The Kyosho kit was for a .70 four stroke(at least the first ones), could be what you have, dimensions would help. Here's a pretty long but old thread on the Kyosho Kelly with a variety of engine installations: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 PM
KansasFlyer

About 48" wing and approximately 39" long.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
KansasFlyer

I've looked at the Kyosho manual and their airplane is a little bigger (7" on the wings). One of my biggest concerns of course is CG. I've flown for a while now and this will be my first step into the racer category. Thanks for posting the link to that Kelly thread! I'm learning a lot there. It seems to me that speed is directly linked to wallet/pocket depth. I may end up simply running an Italian ST 45 due to this aircraft's smaller size
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 AM
gltruett

Yes, your airplane looks too small to be a Kyosho. I saw a Q-40 Kelly at a Florida race over 10 years ago but I have no idea who made it. I don't know of anyone offering a kit in Q-40 size commercially and I try to keep an eye on what's out there. As far as CG, usually if you stick to 25-30% back from the leading edge, you'll be pretty safe. The Prather Little Toni mentioned in an earlier post balances 2 3/8" back from the leading edge right at the fuselage/wing junction. Tonis had a 50" wing span with a forward swept trailing edge and a straight leading edge. They do somewhat resemble your airplane but I can't tell the wing layout from your picture. I heard a saying years ago which seems pretty much true: Nose heavy airplanes fly poorly, tail heavy airplanes fly once. Good luck with it.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
gltruett

I just had a thought and looked on the NMPRA site. Long time Canadian pylon racer Harold Sattler has the only Kelly F-1 approved for Q-40. There is a chance (small I think) that your airplane came from him, here is a link to his site: http://www.hmracinginc.com/index.php He no longer offers this kit and may never have but maybe he can tell you something about it.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 AM
KansasFlyer

You all are awesome! I absolutely love this hobby! I contacted Mr. Sattler and he further directed me to Lyle Larson so the search continues! I appreciate the CG guidance as well. That seems like a fair starting point and I can only get it really wrong once. I need to do a little patchwork under the wing where the gear have impacted the underside as well as do some patching on the trailing edges of the ailerons and elevator. I've never worked with patching fiberglass so I'm going to need some guidance there as well. The holes are less than 1/8 inch so a little cloth and sanding? I am getting pretty pumped but I don't need go fever!