Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Great Planes Shoestring ARF 54 Need 125 MPH!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Great Planes Shoestring ARF 54 Need 125 MPH!

Current setup: OS 55 AX, Bison pitts muffler, 10 x 5 Zinger and 10% Omega, running rich, I got 92 mph in a dive with fair to middlin flying technique. I need 125 mph for the Caldwell Aeromodelers speed meet in Lenoir, NC in June.
A great event, by the way, if you happen to be in the area. A unique event. Bring whatever you want and see how fast you can go, verified by a radar gun. It takes 125 mph to qualify for a sticker. A really fun and well run meet. We saw 225 mph with a small electric last year!
Can I get 125 mph with this setup? Higher nitro? Jett or Nelson pipe or Macs tuned pipe? A different prop would make a difference, probably an APC. Any suggestions on a prop? 12 x 6? Does anyone make hop-up parts for this engine? Bigger engine? I really don't want to spend the money for a Nelson or Jett motor. A .90 or 1.20 2 stroke? Electric?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Great Planes Shoestring ARF 54 Need 125 MPH!

Recipe:

APC 10X9 "RED" Jett muffler, K&B HP glow plug and 30% fuel.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Pylonracr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Recipe:

APC 10X9 "RED" Jett muffler, K&B HP glow plug and 30% fuel.

YUP;
The only thing I would add, and I do not want to open a can of worms with this, is toadd 3 oz of castor to the fuel. Os nickel plated liners like a little more oil, and a little castor. Most of us speed junkies tune for power so the occasional lean run is not out of the question. Do not be afraid to try a few props, since it only costs 3 bucks to find out if it works better.

Have fun with it.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You may need to do some mods. Cut clearance in the step on the fuselage for the Jett muffler. IF you must use a spacer on the exhaust flange, NO thicker than 1/8" or will de- tune the engine too much. You can fab a spacer with 1/8" flat strip of aluminum from Home Depot if you really must. Re-enclose fuselage by fabricating a small enclave, be sure the fuel tank is clear and doesn't touch. (you can use a heat gun to soften the tank to push a BIT of clearance if need be). Open the cowling inlet a bit in front or the cylinder and block the other intake(black painted balsa). Make sure you have an outlet area that's at least 2/3's larger than the inlet, preferably as far back on the cowl as possible(just in front of the lower step. Those Pitts mufflers are the pits for power. A silicone extension on the Jett muffler will de-tune it, so fabricate a deflector (aluminum can) to knock the exhaust down and out.

An OS bubbless clunk and Dubro foam rubber around the tank is highly recommend.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Pylonracr

YUP;
The only thing I would add, and I do not want to open a can of worms with this, is to add 3 oz of castor to the fuel. Os nickel plated liners like a little more oil, and a little castor. Most of us speed junkies tune for power so the occasional lean run is not out of the question. Do not be afraid to try a few props, since it only costs 3 bucks to find out if it works better.

Have fun with it.
Couldn't hurt to add a tad more castor oil. I'm not a fan of all synthetic oil fuels like Cool power on ABN engines when your really pushing the engines limits. One lean run and a bit of bad luck and it may peel nickel plated liner. Otherwise the 55 AX is bullet proof, short of needing a bearing change soon to stainless from RC Bearings when you work the engine this hard, but that's the norm for most engines out there these days.

If the 10X9 or 10X8 APC prop wont hit the speed he wants,I don't know what will. A fun prop for that combo is the Master Airscrew S-2 series 11X7 .it may not hit the speed but unlimited fast vertical. These are the three props that I'd try.

He did real good to get 92 mph with a 10X5 Zinger!!!?? Must have been screaming it's heart out but that's not enough prop for this engine regardless of muffler or fuel.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:05 PM
propstryker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, screaming barely begins to describe this engine with the 10 x 5 Zinger!
Thanks to both of you for the tips. I'll try them.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I look forward to giving you a 125 sticker on June 30

Steeper prop like these guys said but be cautious on take off with the amount of torque you will have. A Jett pipe aint gonna hurt at all.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:43 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Worth while trying an APC 10x7. Something about that prop. Vess 11x7 too. It will get into the rpm range, and it unloads nicely - see what ya can get, it all depends on the airframe.

Zinger wood prop is good, but try a few of them. Each vary slightly, you will find one that will turn more.

On the Jett/OS55 combination you want to target ground peak rpm around 15,000. So work prop selections around that.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:41 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Worth while trying an APC 10x7. Something about that prop. Vess 11x7 too. It will get into the rpm range, and it unloads nicely - see what ya can get, it all depends on the airframe.

Zinger wood prop is good, but try a few of them. Each vary slightly, you will find one that will turn more.

On the Jett/OS55 combination you want to target ground peak rpm around 15,000. So work prop selections around that.

+1 the 10x7 is a very good prop. The 55 will be right there around 15,200 on the Jett muffler use the red one. the Blue one is a bit lower in tune and likes the 14,600 and up range. With the 10x7 it will unload to right around 16,700 on level flight.

To get this plane closer to 125 you will need to take off the wheel pants. run some of Jett's race wheels on it. this alone will net you around 10mph in 100 mph range and around 3-5 in the 120 range.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM
vicman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good call on the wheels.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
propstryker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I look forward to my life being complete with my 125 mph sticker!!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well dang I wouldn;t have got a sticker with my Hangar 9 Mustang and OS 120 pumper. I only got 120 coming out of a dive and 110 in level flight.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM
vicman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

PS. I'm hoping it takes more than a sticker to complete your life. Had I known I'd give you one of mine

DLF, I had to set the bar somewhere. 125 is a nice achievement for anyone trying to go fast and deserves recognition.

Now I gotta figure out what to do about 225 and beyond!?[X(]

June 30 is the date this year
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
richardgerardi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why not just get the Jett 56 with a 9x9 APC prop? That will be a rocket
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
vicman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Richard,
For our event I could consider going over square with a 9" prop or go 10x9 and load that motor a bit for the dive.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
airraptor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you need to stay with a 10" prop with this plane. You could step up to a 10x8 APC and rework the prop some to get some more rpm out of it. make sure you are very close to 15,000 to use the red Jett muffler.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 AM
propstryker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks to everyone for the advice. You guys are awesome!
However, I'm getting confused.
Are we still talking about the OS55 or are we focussing on the Jett motor? I don't see a Jett 56 but I do see a 60 on their website.
I am trying to get 125 mph with the current setup because: 1-It's already set up and 2- I suppose I am not ready to spring for a Jett motor. However, that would surely be the easy answer, and having seen Jetts run, I have no doubt that I would reach 125 mph with a Jett motor and muffler.
Really, just getting over 92 mph would be great, and as vicman says, 125 is where the bar is set. However, ya; gotta have goals and maybe I can get there.
120 with a war bird! Common, I gotta be able to get there with a vintage race plane!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM
propstryker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Hitec Aurora 9. I could get the telemetry items and track mph and my progress.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: propstryker

Thanks to everyone for the advice. You guys are awesome!
However, I'm getting confused.
Are we still talking about the OS55 or are we focussing on the Jett motor? I don't see a Jett 56 but I do see a 60 on their website.
I am trying to get 125 mph with the current setup because: 1-It's already set up and 2- I suppose I am not ready to spring for a Jett motor. However, that would surely be the easy answer, and having seen Jetts run, I have no doubt that I would reach 125 mph with a Jett motor and muffler.
Really, just getting over 92 mph would be great, and as vicman says, 125 is where the bar is set. However, ya; gotta have goals and maybe I can get there.
120 with a war bird! Common, I gotta be able to get there with a vintage race plane!
Jett SJ-56LX replace the 60LX. Same specs.

The OS55 you have will perform well. The engine has good power and good torque, and with the exhaust system it will do very well in this application. So definately worth a try first.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 PM
airraptor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am still talking about your 55. With a Jett 56 I dont think you will see much of a gain over your 55 and the correct prop. You need thrust on this plane to reach your target. The 56 will need to run a 10x6 to keep it in its power range, where you can run a 10x8 on the 55. The 56 is a great engine but should be used in a plane that can get over 130-135 to start with. Yes it will be slightly faster than the 55 with the Jett muffler but at a cost of more money. When you do get a chance though you should get at least two of the Jett engines. The 56 LX and the 35 LX. For sport engines these are the best out there nothing close.

Run the OS 55AX with a Jett muffler and run the 10x7 or even the 10x8. these will get you very close to 115-120 in your plane stock. Take off the wheel pants and run some of Jetts race wheels and I think your 125 goal is doable.

EDIT I should reread sometimes before posting lol.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 PM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I am still talking about your 55. With a Jett 56 i dont think you will see much of a gain over your 55 and the correct prop. You need thrust on this plane to reach your target. the 56 will need to run a 10x6 to keep it in its power range, where you can run a 10x8 on the 55. The 56 is a great engine but should be used in a plane that can get over 130-135 to start with. Yes it pull in slightly faster than the 55 with the Jett muffler but at a cost of more money. When you do get a change still you should at least two of the Jett engines. The 56 LX and the 35 LX. For sport engines these are the best out there nothing close.

Run the OS 55AX with a Jett muffler and run the 10x7 or even the 10x8. these will get you very close to 115-120 in your plane stock. take off the wheel pants and run some of Jetts race wheels and i think your 125 goal is doable.

yeah, what he said
Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
propstryker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys, I'll try your ideas.
We're at about 1,500 ft here. That will change things perhaps slightly.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM
airraptor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

prop I dont think it will change much at all.

Slightly less power but also Slightly thinner air.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
BiggerDanno

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run the 55 w/ Jett muffler on a Tower Kaos using a APC 10x9, 118 mph on radar (out of dive). It is slightly slower with a 10x7 and 10x8 on this airframe.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM
propstryker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I took some measurements and found that I have 3" of firewall below the exhaust exit on the motor. Ouch! It would require major cutting into the firewall and the exhaust from the Jett muffler would be going right into the fuse unless I could run some sort of pipe down and out the bottom of the fuse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service