Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Carolina Speed Rally...Again!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Carolina Speed Rally...Again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:13 AM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carolina Speed Rally...Again!!!

That probably explains why the Weston Observatory registered seismic activity last Saturday in the south eastern US.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounded like an electric???
Old 07-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome Vic! Congrats on a job well done in the face of adversity.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: vicman

Something wasn't right in the universe thats for sure!
Some of the guys went out Sunday and were looking at the crater and started laughing that there was even a wing crater. Pretty serious hole for dried clay.

Wow.. that is impressive! well done
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

You would have been impressed with the aplomb of which Vic handled the situation, especially in front of a very large crowd of spectators & guests. Let me not forget the oppressive heat and the many late hours he put getting them ready up to the day of the event. I've seen guys go into shock over losing planes. Me, I think my TX would have gone sailing over the side of the hill!
It was a lession to behold. I suppose that's why he manages his very stressful day job so well!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to post more pics here but RCU seems to be doing the time-out thing again.[:@]

There is a similar thread in RCG with pics and comments if you are interested.

Thanks for the nice words G.
Bob, That plane was a real hummer. I only flew it a few times other than the OJA race where it held fast time for a while. That poor BSE .40 took a lick.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

It was another fun event, the only thing that could have been better would have been a little less heat, and a few more planes and pilots. I hated to see Vic's subterranean flying adventures end so abruptly, twice no less, but, in the immortal words of Def Leppard, "It's better to burn out... than fade away!". Seldom have I seen and heard TWO so very impressive crashes in one day! I know Vic will be back next year, with new and faster stuff, and we'll egg him on to test his limits again, just as he does the rest of us. It's all good!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:41 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I would love to post more pics here but RCU seems to be doing the time-out thing again.[:@]

There is a similar thread in RCG with pics and comments if you are interested.

Thanks for the nice words G.
Bob, That plane was a real hummer. I only flew it a few times other than the OJA race where it held fast time for a while. That poor BSE .40 took a lick.
I had a decent crash June 30th. Our Club 40 race ... after finishing the heat.. was just flying level down wind to go around to land - then, it just locked up. Fortunately throttled back to about half. Did a beautiful slow pitch up and slow roll... then pitched "up" into a absolutly vertical strike into the soybean field. You can tell it went in dead vertical by the damage to the leading edge and wingtip ribs.

btw.. appeared to be a switch failure. Everything else checks out. Switch had a broken wire at the solder joint after crash. (72 mhz, but it just shut off do not think it was interference).

Kinda sucked though.. I had won each heat, and just needed to fly the Gold Main and that new TT40 was mine .. [&:]
Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM
vicman

Loosing one is always tough. However loosing one in the heat of competition is a lot easier to swallow than hangar rash or some stupid accident on the ground.
I have never sweat a race crash or mid-air, they are the price to play.
Saturday I got all paid up for a while.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
iron eagel

Saturday I got all paid up for a while.
You should be safe for awhile, if there is any justice in this word you will end up with a better setup in the end.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 AM
ftjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vic,
Sorry about your misfortunes and again, sorry for missing the event. It appears that this contract will conflict with the rally every year unless they change their program but we keep adding new territories to the order so i doubt it. I won't promise anything different next year as far as attending but as long as business continues to do well i will promise to provide some goodies for those who do come. What really irritates me is that i got my Spark up to 170mph so far and looking at the numbers it appears that i would have made a decent showing. [&o] Good luck rebuilding your hanger.
John
Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 AM
vicman

Mike, Here comes the next round! If it flies as good as the other one you better start practicing hard at OJA.

John, no worries man. I think I might read the almanac before picking next year's date.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26298.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1779427  
Old 07-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Is that another Seeker? I really like that adjustable fuselage building jig you're using there! That's something I've gone without, but have wanted for a long time. Did you make it yourself or buy it somewhere? If I could just build straight, my planes might be a little faster [&:].
Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 PM
vicman

You seem to be a little faster than me most of the time.

The jig came from Bliss, he was cleaning out his shop a little and was going to burn it as firewood. He had used it back in the 70s and it sat in the corner, dried out and had some pretty big cracks in it. You know I asked if I could have it instead. When I got home I wicked epoxy into all the cracks thinkning it was pretty much stableized for life now. Once everything had glue locking it in place I had it run thru a planer and now I have a great straight jig.
I marked lines in it and use them as a centerline reference. The last few quickies I have done came off of this jig, yeah, I think they were pretty straight.

The plane is a Wam Bop. I'm going to do another HoleShot too.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 AM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks to Full Throttle Jets for the great R/C Bottle Buddy that I received at the event. Great looking unit with outstanding laser cutting and assembly. I really like the laser marking on the front, especially the American Flag and "Made in the USA"! We need more of that here. The Bottle Buddy has really helped to organize my glues.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 AM
ftjets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: propstryker

Thanks to Full Throttle Jets for the great R/C Bottle Buddy that I received at the event. Great looking unit with outstanding laser cutting and assembly. I really like the laser marking on the front, especially the American Flag and ''Made in the USA''! We need more of that here. The Bottle Buddy has really helped to organize my glues.
Thanks for the kind words propstryker. It was our pleasure to provide a small contribution to the rally. I don't want to cross the line into advertising and we haven't officially released them to the public yet but if anyone has an interest in one just shoot us a note on the website contact page and we will arrange to get you one. Just mention your Revver Bro# and i'll give you a good deal.
John