Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Laser Arrow Build pic ITS DONE!!!!

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Laser Arrow Build pic ITS DONE!!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 04:48 PM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Arrow Build pic ITS DONE!!!!

Yes I know it's almost done, if you ever had a chance to build this wonderful delta you will know that it takes almost no time to build. I know its not the fastest delta but I just love the way they fly.

Specs:

Picco 60
Hatori pipe
Hitec HS 645MG

Just put it on the scale without covering my AUW is 3lb 14oz. Not bad for a 600+ square inches of delta
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45558.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1760552  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Laser Arrow Build pic ITS DONE!!!!

It's been 3 or 4 years, but a guy from Sweden or Denmark..or Norway...[one of those places]....
he showed a video here of this plane with a OS.90. It just took off as easy as could be and flew like a rocket. I'll bet your's ends up just as successful.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM
freakingfast

Those are nice deltas. I just wish you had traced the parts before you built it. Delta kits like that are rare. The company the made it is off the grid now. Call it a new name and put the patterns out there on the web.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 AM
iflyg450

This is my second arrow, my first one was powered with a YS 45 but was shot down at a fly in. I did take the time to trace out the kit.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:21 AM
Easystern

Hi Guys
wasnt so often here at the board last times, because of other hobbys

who is saying the laser isn't fast ?

161 mph with weston uk 50 engine with genesis tuned pipe from a Magnum , fast enough ?? i know.... never

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#8020360

i love the Laser Arow , just bought a second one couple of month ago , my first one is a little soft in the balsa wood after lots of landings and speed and the double iron on cover still holds him together.
Its easy to fly and good to start by hand and by your own, flys great real slow and real fast to.
its a real shame that the company is not selling the kit and the arf's anymore.

got this arf with a 50 webra, the engine mounting area has to be beefed up and converted with an os 91 next time to have fun and speed
the airframe is good for a 91 engine and feels comfortable with it.

have fun
michael

PS. it would be easy to dublicate the laser arrow and build or sell a laser cut wood kit , i had already some toughts about that . But the Time is my Enemy....

Name:	Us52980.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1760753  
Old 05-28-2012, 03:52 PM
iflyg450

Its Ready to fly! It came in at 4lbs 3oz. Why the colors of the Italian flag? Just paying a little respect to the country that gave this hobby so many powerful fine engines. Which have been pushed aside by cheap generic Chines brushless motors with no soul. The electrics are great, but they will never take the place of a screaming glow engine on the pipe!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 PM
iflyg450

Go look in "My Models My Gallery" I can't get the pictures to upload!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 AM
jchorsejeff

I love the looks of this plane. Would like to build one myself. How do I get a kit or plans?
Thanks Jeff
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 AM
stoni1

Hi Guys

Can anyone help me with the CG measurements please.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 PM
stoni1

Originally Posted by iflyg450
Its Ready to fly! It came in at 4lbs 3oz. Why the colors of the Italian flag? Just paying a little respect to the country that gave this hobby so many powerful fine engines. Which have been pushed aside by cheap generic Chines brushless motors with no soul. The electrics are great, but they will never take the place of a screaming glow engine on the pipe!
Where.have.you.placed the CG on yours?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 PM
stoni1

Originally Posted by Easystern
Hi Guys
wasnt so often here at the board last times, because of other hobbys

who is saying the laser isn't fast ?

161 mph with weston uk 50 engine with genesis tuned pipe from a Magnum , fast enough ?? i know.... never

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79...tm.htm#8020360

i love the Laser Arow , just bought a second one couple of month ago , my first one is a little soft in the balsa wood after lots of landings and speed and the double iron on cover still holds him together.
Its easy to fly and good to start by hand and by your own, flys great real slow and real fast to.
its a real shame that the company is not selling the kit and the arf's anymore.

got this arf with a 50 webra, the engine mounting area has to be beefed up and converted with an os 91 next time to have fun and speed
the airframe is good for a 91 engine and feels comfortable with it.

have fun
michael

PS. it would be easy to dublicate the laser arrow and build or sell a laser cut wood kit , i had already some toughts about that . But the Time is my Enemy....
Where is the CG on your Laser Arrows Easystern?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM
combatpigg

I've seen video of this plane with the OS.90DF and it was a very fun looking combo. The guy wasn't running the engine set on "kill", but it was still fast enough to be very impressive without running the engine too hard.
Kind of like having a 454 in a Camaro.
As for the CG question, there are free on line CG calculators for flying wings and deltas that I've used, but I still do the old school MAC calcs with a marking pen and straight edges on the building table. Conventional deltas [shaped like home plate on a baseball diamond] will fly at 15% of MAC. With the magic of the internet it isn't too much trouble to learn how to find the MAC of your plane's wing and then set the balance point along that "imaginary" line. The line isn't really imaginary, it's more conceptual.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM
stoni1

Originally Posted by combatpigg
I've seen video of this plane with the OS.90DF and it was a very fun looking combo. The guy wasn't running the engine set on "kill", but it was still fast enough to be very impressive without running the engine too hard.
Kind of like having a 454 in a Camaro.
As for the CG question, there are free on line CG calculators for flying wings and deltas that I've used, but I still do the old school MAC calcs with a marking pen and straight edges on the building table. Conventional deltas [shaped like home plate on a baseball diamond] will fly at 15% of MAC. With the magic of the internet it isn't too much trouble to learn how to find the MAC of your plane's wing and then set the balance point along that "imaginary" line. The line isn't really imaginary, it's more conceptual.

Thanks for that info. I am however a little confused as the only actuall CG measurement I could find on the internet was 56mm from the front of the landing skid.. This puts the cg at about 25% of Mac and on its maiden it was definitely tail heavy for sure. I've moved as much of the radio and battery forward as i can and now it balances about 20% of MAC or 290mm back from intersection of the front leading edge lines.It would make it easier if anyone has the recommended CG from the original instructions from the plan or Artf versions.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM
combatpigg

If the wing loading is low enough the CG is much less critical. The deltas I have built fly anywhere from 15 to 20%.
If you were able to safely land it at 25% [good job!] and have the control linkage geometry set for maximum mechanical advantage [and precise control], then trying it again at 20% ought to make a big difference. I use 2 inch long screws for control horns on deltas this size and set the pushrods at the servo arm to provide very limited control throw at the flaps with the radio set as close to 100% servo travel volume as I can. In other words, I like to set the planes up as if I did not have a fancy radio to desensitize the controls via programming.
At least by having dual or triple rates we can switch between educated guesses for how much control ought to feel OK.
If the plane is tail heavy then you have a perfect excuse to build a big fancy fiberglass cowl for it..!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 AM
iflyg450

Having flown the ARF and the Kit. I can say the factory CG is spot on. I checked the manual and my plane is right where they say to put it. My current arrow is no lightweight having the Picco 60 and in glides in like a champ. I never felt that it was tail heavy. Maybe its not the CG but the way you are balancing it. I found the best way to balance it is to drill a small hole through the skid where the CG is called out, them take an onl push rod and bend it into a "U" shape. Pass the bent rod through the drilled hole. Hang the plane from the bent push rod and balance it. A length of wire works too.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 PM
stoni1

Having flown the ARF and the Kit. I can say the factory CG is spot on. I checked the manual and my plane is right where they say to put it. My current arrow is no lightweight having the Picco 60 and in glides in like a champ. I never felt that it was tail heavy. Maybe its not the CG but the way you are balancing it. I found the best way to balance it is to drill a small hole through the skid where the CG is called out, them take an onl push rod and bend it into a "U" shape. Pass the bent rod through the drilled hole. Hang the plane from the bent push rod and balance it. A length of wire works too.
Thanks for the reply and your advise, great tip ! Where do the factory say the CG should be? as I do not have the manual.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM
iflyg450

Just found the manual. It is 56mm from the front of the skid. I will try to post a picture.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:02 PM
iflyg450

Name:	IMG_20131030_195405_741.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1935096  
Old 10-30-2013, 04:14 PM
stoni1

Just found the manual. It is 56mm from the front of the skid. I will try to post a picture.
Thank you so much. 56mm back from the front of the skid is where i balanced her initially but on the maiden she was way tail heavy.I am now wondering if mine is the same dimensions as yours as I scratch built mine from some templates i found on the internet and printed them out. It may be that the printing has altered `the dimensions. Would you be kind enough to measure your wing span,then the length of the fuz down the centre line and also a measurement of your CG position from the nose back towards towards skid would be very useful.Big
thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:56 AM
iflyg450

the wing span in 39.5" and its 29.25 long from the front of the engine mount plate to the trailing edge of the elevons.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM
stoni1

Ah, Thanks so much. I now know what my problem is. My model is exactly 20% smaller. My wing span is 80cm as apposed to 1 meter and the length is also 80% of your measurements.
I guess that the printer must have printed the templates at 80%. It also answers the question as to why mine is only 1.5kg all up instead of nearer 2kg like everyone else.This will actually work out in my favor as I only have a .25 Weston Uk motor installed instead of a 40/50/size. Now I am confident I just need to move the CG proportionately forward and I should be good to go.

Here.is.a.link.to.a.video.of.my build:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXMlRk8kS0

Thanks again

Stoni