Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OPS Heli or YS60 for speed

Hi Guys

I haven't posted in a long time, but have this question for you:

I built a speed plane based on a pattern design (thinner fuse and much thinner wings). It is doing around 150mph with a YS60 and tuned pipe, 10x10 APC. I just found an old OPS 60 (seems to be heli) engine that I can basically bolt right in. Do you think it would be worth it? The YS turns the 10x10 @ 13,500 static, and unloads nicely in the air, but maybe the OPS will deliver more.

Thanks!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: OPS Heli or YS60 for speed

depends on the timing and may have to run a smaller prop. if you are truely getting 150 which seems high since that is way over your prop pitch speed. I would think that prop needs to unload over 15,500 for you to reach 150 but anyway.

honestly i dont think you will see more than what your getting now. The OPS heli I think was set to run over 15,000 so you will need a smaller prop and re tune the pipe.

If you really need to go faster than find a 77-105 DF engine and run the 10x10 prop cut down to a 9"
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We actually got around 160 on a long vertical dive, measured with GPS. The plane has FPV capabilities installed.
    Other options I have at hand, but would require much more work are an OPS 60 DF, a Picco 80 DF and a Rossi 90 DF. The problem being they are RIRE, which moves the CG to the front. Maybe I will opt to build a new, longer fuselage.

Thanks for the input.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been trying to get as much speed out of a Rossi 61 long stroke 5 port engine. At first I tried the high RPM approach. Short pipe small dia. prop. Didn't work out to well. I think it topped out at around 125 or so. Not really any faster then my .45 powered airplane. The current setup uses a Picco 80 DF carb ( 12mm) and a long pipe. Currently running an APC 11X12 at 12K and going much faster. The next step is more head work and more nitro. The goal is a 12X12 at 11,500. I have seen guys do the DF engine and by the time you get it propped in the powerband there just isn't enough prop to pull the airplane.
    Of course it's true, I read it on the Internet.