Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

f-18 hornet

Old 09-04-2003, 12:17 AM
half blind
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default f-18 hornet

hello prop-nuts, iam hoping you can guide me in the right direction, I got my hands on a Direct Connection Hornet, This plane was a bear to build, but the time was put in (alot of time), I just have to cover the wings and iam done. I have K&B 61, that pulled my 40 ultra sport around with athorthy,I had planded to used in it, now having everything in the plane to enclude retracts & the time I have spend on this plane, iam unsure if this engine will fly it. Has anyone had any exprence with this plane any recomendations, thanks any thing will be gladly appreciated
Old 09-04-2003, 01:42 AM
jwoolridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default f-18 hornet

I have never flown one of these or seen them fly in person. I do know however that a guy here had one before I started flying. I've seen video of it fly. It flew very nicely. This guy build it to go fast. He had a supertiger 91 and pipe on it. I'd say it'll fly on the 60 but dont know about how well.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Rubbie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Direct Connection F-18

I built one about 5 years ago and yes it was a dog to build. If I did it again I would have left out the rudders, a lessoned learned with the F-14 as well. I ended selling it to a friend who used a 91 DF on it spinning a 10x10 prop and it flew great with that set up. It had fixed gear but it looked good anyway. I did see one fly with a 72 Irvine with retracts and it was great. i'd like to think a little slower than my f-14 wink wink.... In any event your probably going to have a ball, nice and heavy planes like that fly great and have a real presence in the air. If you do decide to upgrade the engine I would reccomend an MVVS .77 but in any event you will probably be fine. Can you upload some pic's?
Old 09-04-2003, 10:28 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default f-18 hornet

I have a MVVS .77 and it is a strong engine. I am running it with a mini tuned pipe and it runs great. One thing though it is not a high revving engine, but has tons of torque for a 2 stroke.

I bet it would run very well with a high pitch prop.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:44 AM
half blind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default f-18 hornet

Thanks everyone for your replies. I installed flaparoniens , hopeing to get nice, slow, nose high landing. Once its completed pictures will be posted.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:42 PM
av8rsodt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: f-18 hornet

I am currently building one as well. My plan is to put an OS .61 SF ABC Pump on it. I have talked with the designer and he said it should do fine.

I am doing mine up in Blue Angel colors - about 80% complete.

Av8rosodt (Brian)
Old 09-21-2003, 09:25 PM
ellas1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello everyone, im looking for a set of plans to build a f-18, anyone out there have plans please let me know. thanx.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:42 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all,

I built the DC F18 a couple of years ago. I equipped it with an OS61SF, retracts and flaps. I haven't flown it yet as I have no place to fly it. I have previously built and flown the GP Patriot and F14. They both flew well, but with the limited air space at the field, I couldn't continue to fly them there and sold them. Yes the F18 is a bear to build, especially the fuse. Still, it makes a great looking plane. I also built the DC F20 several years ago and sold it without flying it. It was a great looking plane too. Here are some pics of these. There are 2 patriots. I built a second for a friend.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97830.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	63232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85798.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	63233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46214.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	63234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74708.jpg
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	63235  
Old 09-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I some years back owned one of the G&P pusher F18's with a OS91FX on a tuned pipe.The jet flew awesome,looked,flew & landed just like a Ducted fan F18.It has spring air retracts & plug in wings.I personally (no pun intended)was never a fan of the jets copies such as the DC line,cermark,GP f15 and such.They do not look like jets in my opinion.The G&P pusher F18 is the best replica I have seen in terms of prop driven jets-It looks like an F18 to the t.Two years ago I started flying ducted fan jets & now to turbines.I have in my hangar -YA Starfire,YA F16 & YA F4-ducted & Turbines-YA F18,CAI Razor & BVM F86.The f18 I am working on will feature scale flaps,working canopy,nav lights,leading edge slats,full gear doors & will fly on flying stabs only just like full scale F18.Power will be a Wren54(12 pounds of thrust)I also have a wren 54 in my F86.My starfire is ducted fan-level high speed passes are 182 mph-198 in a dive-clocked.I know this is off topic a little but alotta guys are interested to hear about the turbine & ducted fan side of the hobby.I only fly jets & big aerobatic planes now-35% Giles & a 27% PW 300.Many guys unfortantly cant pursue the turbine & df side of the hobby cause the cost is so substancial-I have over 25,000 invested in my jets.The average cost per jet rtf is 2000-5000 grand.Then I had to go buy a 12 foot customized trailer for all my jets-complete with work bench,fridge,overhead lighting & full power supply.After flying jets I can tell you there is no bigger rush than hugging the deck @ 180-190 mph then climbing out vertical into a split s The prop jets can be fun as long as the model looks like a jet & the only one I have seen capture this was the G&P F18.[8D]

regards Steve
Old 02-25-2004, 07:43 PM
izz4u2mm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all. I am new here and like ths new format for a used to be "rc news group" remember??.
Anyways I am looking for a built up type of plans for the F/A-18 Hornet. Does anyone out there have any
leads or tips??.
Thanks,
Manny
Old 02-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCM have a set of plans for F18 in pusher configuration. I build one with OS 91 vrdf in nose. It flies very fast. The first one is mine, the second was build for Bob Kenkle.

Name:	Jh17235.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	105153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99430.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	105154  
Old 02-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a cute little F-18 I built last year. The plans are available from Model Airplane News. It's very small and is designed for a .25. I put a Mecoa .28 wildcat in mine. The plane looks great in the air and is very easy to fly with the flat bottom wing. However, I'm a little disappointed in the performance. I may try a pipe this year and see if I can get a little more out of it. I also used a Perry pump since I installed the fuel tank over the CG. The engine runs flawlessly with this setup. Enjoy!

Name:	Sq46903.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	105179  
Old 02-26-2004, 09:14 PM
izz4u2mm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you so much. I will look into that magazine and order those plans...if they still have them.
Thnaks,
Manny
Old 03-22-2004, 10:20 PM
half blind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

][8D]Insert Into Your Original Page
[8D]hello blue skys, thanks for replying to my thread. Its good to know that someone and its a nice flier. I completed my DC F-18, in Jan. and finally took it to the field 03-19-04, everyone was impressed with it, I didnt like the hole in the undercarrage for the landing gear so during the winter months I made doors to close behind them, they work fine and looks great closing behind the gear.Insert Into Your Original Page

I do have a Q, to ask you I have an S&P F-18, am about to start on, I really would like to know your opinion of the stabilizer. I can go with the conventional RC stab., but I like the full floating stab. I know from your e-mail you are an experienced builder and jet flier and I really would like to know your thoughts on it.

Name:	Yw68985.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	114396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50753.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	114397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15609.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	114398  
Old 03-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Snagglepuss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the Direct Connection one. Flies great. Has an Enya .80x engine in it.

Go here http://www.innovative-com.com/airplanes

to see video of it.

Name:	Yv66149.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	115159  
Old 03-25-2004, 10:27 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buck, a pipe aint gonna help a MECCOA turd. I have two of those sorry things and have kicked myself ever since I traded in an old KB .28 for one of them. Toss that thing and go get a .25 FX. I just tried putting one of the turd motors in my Miss Los Angeles and got so fustrated with it I took it out and made my local OS distributor a happy man. Now my scratch built beauty screams accross the sky with authority and consistancy!

Just my feelings. If you really want to know how I feel and all about my M-turd experience look in RCM letters to the ed about 2 1/2 years ago.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:42 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a pic if you care.