Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

A little more Diamond Dust action (video)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

A little more Diamond Dust action (video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A little more Diamond Dust action (video)

I had my girlfriend film the Diamond Dust yesterday...she's getting good at it, this is the first flight she managed to keep the plane in the picture!

Unfortunately the rod blew at the end of the flight. It totalled the engine, I can't get the sleeve and piston out, because the rod hammered the bottom of the sleeve.
Oh well, a new engine should be on it's way tomorrow.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxYoHRTPIxY&feature=youtu.be]Decent Diamond Dust video[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93108.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1860944  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: A little more Diamond Dust action (video)

That was really a nice flight you were having...![8D]
Too bad the engine decided to explode...[&o]
That's the first time I've seen the Webra .36 run....[X(]
It is a good excuse to buy a new engine now...
Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That has to be the most gracefull DD dust takeoff I have ever seen.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:14 AM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: vicman

That has to be the most gracefull DD dust takeoff I have ever seen.
I said the same thing to myself.
8x7 or 8x8 prop..?
I'd like to come across a Nelson .36 combat engine and try it on one of these planes.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Rudeboy

8x6 @ 23.000.... less engine=less torque=less weight=it just works better when it's light... ;-)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew that prop was light. Every Dust I ever saw needed a pretty serious list at launch to come out straight.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Rudeboy

This is my third Dust.
The first one had a Webra 32 ABCD with a dynamix carb on a Jett muffler....I really loved that thing!
The second one had a BSE Fire 50... faster, but too heavy... it had that nasty torque roll...

So I decided to go back to a 30 size...IMHO a Dust just flies better when it's light...I even used "mini" servos in this one, because it saves an ounce...
And it shows: that nice launch isn't me, it's a light plane with low wing loading and a low torque engine!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Rudeboy

This is my third Dust.
The first one had a Webra 32 ABCD with a dynamix carb on a Jett muffler....I really loved that thing!
The second one had a BSE Fire 50... faster, but too heavy... it had that nasty torque roll...

So I decided to go back to a 30 size...IMHO a Dust just flies better when it's light...I even used "mini" servos in this one, because it saves an ounce...
And it shows: that nice launch isn't me, it's a light plane with low wing loading and a low torque engine!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
combatpigg

It really looks great with the "small block" engine and the effortless launch.
Which engine [s] are you thinking about getting for a replacement...?
I think the Nelson .36 might be the most powerful engine in that class if you could stand the noise with an open exhaust.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Rudeboy

Well, the replacement West 36 is already on its way...but I really would like to try a Jett 35. I saw a video of a 35 on a Wildhare LR-1 on youtube: that thing was hauling *****...!
Perhaps a rear exhaust Jett 35 for cosmetics, but I will stick to the 30 size engines on this one.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM
combatpigg

Was the glow plug element completely obliterated from the engine that puked...?
If so, I'll bet it got stuck between the piston and liner..... then the rod snapped.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Rudeboy

Nope, the plug was fine...even after the engine blew.
It really was the rod that let go just below the small end bearing...which kinda surprised me...I really figured the bottom end would let go first.

The folks at Weston were pretty nice about it: they offered me a new engine at 75% of the price of a new one if I sent the old one in and it couldn't be salvaged.
But I just told them to send me a new one since I don't fancy waiting for the postman to do his job.
Also, I buried this engine about a foot deep in the dirt last year...so it wouldn't be really nice of me to try to let them pay for it...
Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 PM
combatpigg

It's amazing the punishment these engines can take. Revving at 25,000 one instant then hitting the ground at 140 mph. That sudden stopping has to stress the parts as much as anything else.
That is an excellent endorsement for the people at Weston UK..!
Thankfully there are still companies in this hobby world that value their reputations.
This breeds loyal customers.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyperbole regards Magnum performance aside, I had fantastic service from Weston - my .50 fragged the big end bushing on the first run, I mailed it to the UK, and within a ridiculous short time had a replacement back. Maybe 1-1/2 weeks. Post to Canada from UK is very quick.

I wonder how hard you could beat on these engines with a tougher conrod. I just wish they were rear exhaust.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

Well, the replacement West 36 is already on its way...but I really would like to try a Jett 35. I saw a video of a 35 on a Wildhare LR-1 on youtube: that thing was hauling *****...!
Perhaps a rear exhaust Jett 35 for cosmetics, but I will stick to the 30 size engines on this one.
The Jett .35 is a small block format as well, essentially the same weight as their .25. Jett says it spins a 9-6 APC at minimum 18.5k. I wonder how that compares to the West .36?

I'm envious how your hand launch goes, it is the polar opposite to my big block delta (5 pounds or so fueled) which is a freaking handful at launch with marginal static thrust.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Does R.P.M. make an after-market rod for those engines?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 AM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: MJD

Hyperbole regards Magnum performance aside, I had fantastic service from Weston - my .50 fragged the big end bushing on the first run, I mailed it to the UK, and within a ridiculous short time had a replacement back. Maybe 1-1/2 weeks. Post to Canada from UK is very quick.

I wonder how hard you could beat on these engines with a tougher conrod. I just wish they were rear exhaust.
I think my high timed Webra .50 runs as hard as the Weston .50 with props in the neighborhood of 7.5x8. This engine is on it's 1st rebuild after wearing out the original parts. I first bought it in the late 1980s to replace a worn out Fox.40 deluxe [that FOX was my "hot" engine at the time].
The Webra .50 was rated in the top 5 for power to weight ratio of all mass produced model plane engines in a magazine review that covered all the major engine brands and sizes.
Too bad the small journal crank is well...too small to open up any further. This is what is limiting this engine to the level of power that makes 180 mph it's most likely end point.
The only Jett .35 I ever saw in person was a bar stock engine that a friend ordered to try out against the FOX .36 Combat Special and Nelson .36. Open exhaust with just a big venturi.
It was comparable to the old FOX.36 but it could not come close to the Nelson.36.
The Nelson.36s are coming available because AMA Fast Combat is a dead sport with 90% of the old competitors too pooped to toot any more.....
These engines are terrifying. I saw one rip apart a brand new Yuvenko RTF model that had a just a slight wing warp. The wing just exploded on the 3rd or 4th lap and both lines [.018" stainless cables] snapped. The rest of the plane went on a short joy ride into a nearby forest and was found by hikers and returned to it's owner a couple weeks later.
There might be some AMA Fast Combat to watch on Youtube, to see these engines in action.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Daniel Spurlock
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had one about 11 years ago with a OS 46 DF engine plane was awsome to fly.Anyone know where to get a kit or the plans?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Guys, CP, ETAL:
At 77, old age has finallyt caught up to me, eyes going south. Old guy flying high speed stuff is not user friendly, the guys would hide! Anyway, got rid of the fast stuff almost two years ago. Buddy came over last night to help wire a back bedroom for cable. Darned if we did not find a fiberglass Q-500 in the attic which he took home. Other that a few collector glow engines, only have two left. Yesssss, the Jett 35 around 8 maby 10 years old, still tight on top. 9X6 18,000 plus, idles lower than reason, domninated our club racing for years. Other, a insane stock Webra 55 speed with Jett muffler. It turnes a impossible 9 X 10 over 20,000 on Powermaster 15% plus 5% more castor. Piston is a little dark colored, but it lives. Only the best needle valve ears should try this. Would not claim this without some 100 club meambers to back it up. Enough B.S., back to my foamy 3D build. Slow and up close, can see the thing. ENJOY
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
combatpigg

Howdy Roger..!
Great to hear from you. Old age might have crept up on you, but you held it back much longer than your average bear.
You're mean enough to reach 100....and by then modern medicine will have you all fixed up with a pair of new eyeballs so you can terrorize the blue skies of Merced for another 100 years.......[X(]!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM
MJD

I'm pissed I didn't snag Roger's OPS VAE .60 when it was up for grabs.. I hope wherever it went it is being used in an appropriate manner. By that I don't mean gathering dust in a box of collectibles. At least I've flown some of my OPS engines. But I confess not all..

I just made an offer on an OS .91 VRDF small head. I have no idea why, but it is NIB and the price very reasonable. I wonder if it would fit in a Demon..
Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: Daniel Spurlock

Had one about 11 years ago with a OS 46 DF engine plane was awsome to fly.Anyone know where to get a kit or the plans?
The kits are long gone...
But I have the plans in PDF format if you're interested.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Rudeboy

ORIGINAL: MJD

I'm pissed I didn't snag Roger's OPS VAE .60 when it was up for grabs.. I hope wherever it went it is being used in an appropriate manner. By that I don't mean gathering dust in a box of collectibles. At least I've flown some of my OPS engines. But I confess not all..

I just made an offer on an OS .91 VRDF small head. I have no idea why, but it is NIB and the price very reasonable. I wonder if it would fit in a Demon..
I still have one of the venerable OPS .60's...only ran it once...still have to figure out what to build for it...delta or conventional...
Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Rudeboy

Unfortunately I cannot run a straight piped Nelson 36 or something like that...way too noisy!

But I bet a properly set up Jett 35, on a good muffled tuned pipe, running something like a 7.4x7.5 or a slightly cut down 8x7 or 8x8 will haul a DD around pretty damn fast, while still being fun, and not a "lead sled".
I also bet the engine will be a lot more bullet proof compared to the West.

The DD is never going to be "extremely fast" on a small block...but that was never my intention. I just wanted it to be light and fun to fly. And that it is. I love the way you can fool around with this plane! [>:]
Old 03-13-2013, 11:55 AM
iron eagel

I vote for putting that that OPS on a nice clean delta!
Something Like Combatpigg did with his 1/2 A engine blended into the wing itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.