Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

2 aileron servos in a patriot

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

2 aileron servos in a patriot

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 06:47 PM
t_man75
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 aileron servos in a patriot

I just started building a Patriot and on the side of the box there is a pic that you can see aileron pushrods coming out of the wing past where the retracts are, but in the manual it shows only 1 servo in the middle. Has anyone put 2 servos in the wing or is 1 plenty for this plane. I am going to be putting a Jett .50 in it.
Old 09-20-2003, 08:34 PM
eugene

Default RE: 2 aileron servos in a patriot

I have built two Patriots with aileron servos in the outer wing...no problem with the fit....I also cut the aileron , and used the outer 13" for aileron, and fixed the inner portion solid....At extreme speeds , this made a smoother handling plane...
Old 09-20-2003, 09:20 PM
RPZ

I have a Pat on the building board right now, and I am fitting a single servo in each wing as well as inboard flaps. Given the speed that this plane is capable of, a single standard servo with the little push-rods supplied is often criticized as inadequate for this airplane.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:34 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Well.....Its' all true- sorta

I fly a Patriot with a Jett-50 that was built (not by me-) with inboard split-flaps- with about 12-13 inches of Ail. at the end... as someone mentioned- I use ONE STANDARD SERVO on its' side that runs both ailerons via bellcranks- with another STANDARD servo mounted like an Ail. servo working the flaps-

I started with an ASP-46 and meant to upgrade servos (70 oz. or higher) but never did- I then flew it with an Irvine-53 (so faster..) same set-up no prob.

When I installed the Jett I simply went to a 6V RX pack (Hydrimax-1650 if anyone is keeping track) putting my servos at about 60 oz. I have put about 30 flight on with ZERO problems- (2 tonight!) I just come back to idle when I come out fo a dive split-s etc. then gun it!

Sooo.... It works for me but I would throw some 70 oz'ers in each wing if I had it on the board- and definitely make the flaps... They make a huge difference mine flies from about 10MPH to ? [8D]

Have fun and keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26877.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	62627  
Old 09-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Rubbie

I am just putting the finishing touches on mine now and i put 2 servos in the wings (Hitec 225bb at 6 v) I don't expect any problems at all. I have a MVVS .49 going in and I don't expect much more than 100mph which is fast enough for me.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Razor-RCU

Let us know how it works out! Those MVVS-49's are supposed to be screamers-

What is the torque on the 225's?

Happy landings (but fast without flap-)
james
Old 11-02-2003, 03:19 PM
RJCapt.
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 2 aileron servos in a <span class=

I"m thinking of puting two servos in mine and lining them up in tandem..one in front of the other...i'm using pneumatic retracts so that free's up room in the wing for the extra servo...
Old 11-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Rubbie

Razor I am almost done the plane, my MVVS with just a couple of tanks through it if I can remember is turing an APC 10x8 at 13500 with two shims and 4 year old 15%. I run a full length quiet muffler and you can only hear prop noise which is a huge bonus. The old guys at the club would love to ground me once they see this rocket in the pattern.

The 225s at 6v (which what is run) is rated at 67oz. I pinned all the hinges and have sealed them so I shouldn't need that much torque, but I guess it can't harm. I usally fly (or try) to fly faily smooth with no jerky moves. I will post pick once my stickers arrive on wednesday and I can borrow my Brothers digital Camera.

I hate having a plane ready for the winter!!!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Razor-RCU

13.5K sounds kinda low but I am not very familiar with the MVVS (except reading on here-)

I would start with a 10x7 first then try a 9x8 if you have room to rotate-

I go for speed because the vertical is unlimited with the 9x9 Jett-50

I went from 10x7-9x6.6- 9x8- 9x9 where I am now...

Looking forward to pics!

Cheers
Old 11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dual servos in the wings are the way to go.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:55 PM
Rubbie

I could have been wrong with the reading I broke the engine in July and have had it sitting in afterrun oil and a ziplock bag since then. I really have to watch the noise level where I fly so although I would love to go to a 9x8 or a 9x9 it is just too loud. My club isn't the friendliest when it comes to fast stuff, because fast stuff is usally loud I really have to be careful.

My first attempt to make Spitfire type gear doors didnt' work out, I will try agian later when I can tweak the Spring Airs. I initially laid some fiberglass with some epoxy between two pieces of glass and then cut them out to fit on the legs it seems to work but the legs retract too far so I will have to try again with the mounting. No I didn't put any on the nose gear but who knows in the future.