Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Viper500 Tips Before I maiden it ?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Viper500 Tips Before I maiden it ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freakingfast
I use to run on the Viper........ APC 9X8 on a Evolution 46 NT & muffler, 9X9 on a 45 YS & pipe, 9X6 on a OS 32 & pipe, 9X10 Webra 55 (round black head) & red Jett muffler. 10X10 OS 55 AX &muffler.
The header looks long in the O.P. so it will pull that pylon 8.8X9 @ 16.500. If your having fun, don't mess with it. There may be more speed with different SPORT props, but you will have to cut the header and experiment. Without doing a thing except tweaking the needle maybe I throw APC 9X8 on it.
I have played with lengths each way up to 25mm or so. I see changes on the tach, but not so noticeable in the air. I'll go after a 9x8 and give it a shot. The 9x6 was allowing the engine to overrev far beyond useful rpm. Sounded like a boat cavitating the prop or a car blowing the tires off and hitting the chip. It was not a good set-up.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I would have to agree that running the pylon props anything less then 18 K is going to give less then what the airplane has to offer. I have tried a bunch of them on my current pylon ship and was disappointed. My airplane has close to the same drag profile as a Q500 and is powered with a Nelson muffled Rossi 45 that I would suspect to have just a tad more power then the setup you have. So far what has worked the best is APC 9X7 sport and 9X7.5 pylon . The key I think is that these props have more blade area then the pylon props. I agree that a 9X6 would be worthless, can't imagine why anyone would suggest that prop other then that's what we ran on Q500 airplanes back in the day.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I would have to agree that running the pylon props anything less then 18 K is going to give less then what the airplane has to offer. I have tried a bunch of them on my current pylon ship and was disappointed. My airplane has close to the same drag profile as a Q500 and is powered with a Nelson muffled Rossi 45 that I would suspect to have just a tad more power then the setup you have. So far what has worked the best is APC 9X7 sport and 9X7.5 pylon . The key I think is that these props have more blade area then the pylon props. I agree that a 9X6 would be worthless, can't imagine why anyone would suggest that prop other then that's what we ran on Q500 airplanes back in the day.
I have some cut down 10x6 APC sport props I have done some testing with. I went with the same theory, more blade surface, but trimming it back to 8.75" to 9" to keep the little .40 happy. I am going to give the 9x7 and 9x8 a try. I have a .46 ready to go on it, but I may just have to dig in my pocket and call Mr. Jett and get a real bullet under the hood, so to speak.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Scorpion Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, If you decide to get the Sport Jett 426 engine, bring it on down to Mulberry in October and join in the racing! We can help you out with the prop selections that work well in central Florida and for racing that combination.

Best Wishes!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Scott.
That's the best idea and most likely the most fun you will have with the plane too.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

G - scale,
Did you notice any "porpising" at speed ? or did you fix the rear v-tail incedence before you flew ?
If you gunna step up in engine, Dub has what he calls hanger sale engines, used but still good, you might consider this option ?
When you do step up to a stronger engine, most definatley strengthen the firewall, there are many ways as the guys have already mentioned.
I recently maidened a ninja with a Q-II Q500 Jett, very quick plane, when you get coments like - "how do you see and keep up with that thing ?" you know your move'n, I flew a viper 500 with a worked over rossi 53, it was radar'd at 155 - 160 consistant, this ninja with the Q-II jet engine is most definatley quicker.

Have fun and safe landings.