Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

thinking of the Great Planes "rifle"....need comments.

Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

thinking of the Great Planes "rifle"....need comments.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:38 AM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default thinking of the Great Planes "rifle"....need comments.

This plane has been on my want list for awhile now and I think that it is time to make the purchase. Anyone that has the rifle I would like to hear your comments on the bird. how about the power package that they offer for it? Can I do better by going my own route on the power package?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rich,
I can't comment on the rifle, but I just put my skat up for sale which is similar but much faster than the rifle and stock power system. It is also much stronger and with a more aggressive power system could easily handle 200mph. Here's a link to my classified ad:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=965293
Old 02-15-2014, 07:55 AM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok invertmast after looking at your model I am thinking that I should look around and see just what is out there in the speed world. Can anyone put me onto any other planes that are fast besides the rifle?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:59 AM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did you scratch build the skat or was that a kit?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 AM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by rpat View Post
Did you scratch build the skat or was that a kit?
It was a kit. Glass fuse, foam core wing.

Originally it it was supposed to be monokote covered wings and stabs, but I vacuum bagged carbon fiber (the Cf was $150 alone) to the wing and stab.

as far as what else is out there....

ive vet also got an X plane (all composite/carbon fiber) that is setup with a kontronik out runner, 150A esc and 6s lip only that should do 270+ mph with good batteries. It's only got 2 flights on it. I would sell it BNF for $1200

Last edited by invertmast; 02-15-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:35 PM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why the folding props?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why the folding props?
slightly less chance of them getting broken on landing, and its difficult finding 7" blades with more than 10" of pitch. The props for this thing were $35 each
Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 AM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ouch!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:13 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rifle or Rifle 1m?

Try Soaring USA or Icare - take a look through the electric pylon racers. There are models on either site that will go north of 150 easily, are built to do it all day, and it doesn't take a $900 motor package to do it. There are a variety of "speed 400" sized models that will take anything from normal to insane motor setups. If you talk to either of these companies and tell them how much you want to spend and what you want to do, they'll have some advice.

The Rifle is heading in the direction of the high performance electric pylon models, but seems to me it is more of a mass market offering built in the spirit of high performance electric models but kind of "mid-tech". That said I am sure it is a pile of fun on a decent motor setup, and even 120-130mph is fun. Not sure how hard you can push it..

but try post #3 here. Great Planes Rifle

You'll find more people with Rifle experience on the electric forums. While some electric speed junkies hang out here, flying electric pylon racers at 150+ is normal fare in the lekkie world.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:12 PM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks MJD. That is just what I am after. I will check those sites out. After coming on here I had my sights set on the rifle, but now I think that I can do better than the rifle. Now the quest begins.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Depending on what you normally fly some of the recommendations can be too advanced. Most of the high speed electrics tend to be very low profile and smaller and faster than the models most people regularly fly. You can loose sight of them very easily and it will surprise you how fast they accelerate even straight up from a hand launch. Depending on the wing loading and the mixes you have programmed landing can be exciting to say the least. I started with the Siren Hotliner stock and kept bumping up the power package until it suffered a wing failure in a high speed turn then I bought a Hawk F5B which is considered an entry level hotliner. Powered it with a Hacker B50 carbon case with a 17 X 10 folding prop a definite adrenalin fix darn near lost it several times.

Dennis
Old 02-17-2014, 07:02 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Truth is, the Rifle 1m might be the preferred choice of the two, and I think if you need something fun in its own right, and a good transitional model, maybe it is a good choice.

There is truth in Propworn's words. Some of these are really slippery little devils with 7% - 7.5% airfoils or so and they don't fly like Quickie 500's or sport aerobatic models. You could be surprised if you dive in too deep on your first choice, but if you're good on the sticks and sensible or have someone around to mentor you then maybe don't hold back so much. The little 28"-30" or so molded speed 400 racers with a Series 6 or Mega 16/15/3 will go like snot, and you can go more aggressive from from there. Or look at the F5B's. It all comes down to budget in the end.. perhaps the Rifles are a good test foray into the molded composite performance lekkie world? I almost bought one then ordered a Boomerang.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After looking at Icarus there is a lot to consider. Not afraid of the speed I fly a turbine so speed does not bother me., but after looking on that site I am going away scratching my head. I want one as a diversion and not to go hog wild into the speed zone. I fly mostly helis and like a diversion every once in a while. Seems like you have to spend a lot of cash to go fast , or am I getting the wrong impression?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's lekkie guys that can comment way more educated-like than I can, but I think you can go pretty fast for not a lot of cash. I'd search Rifle 1m threads for motor packages people have already ferreted out of the internet for sometimes surprisingly low prices.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 AM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After looking at Icarus there is a lot to consider. Not afraid of the speed I fly a turbine so speed does not bother me., but after looking on that site I am going away scratching my head. I want one as a diversion and not to go hog wild into the speed zone. I fly mostly helis and like a diversion every once in a while. Seems like you have to spend a lot of cash to go fast , or am I getting the wrong impression?
I fly turbines as well and these a whole different animal. Not harder to fly, harder to keep up with. The little Skat above is 10-15mph slower than my turbine, but because it is only 30" span, it appears to be much much faster. That wing is also only 1/4" thick and the fuse about 1.5" in diameter. You Cant fly "the plane", you have to be waaaYyyyyyyy ahead of it, as it disappears anytime it is pointsd away or towards you.

The X plane is 56" in span and it disappears just as much if not more than the skat. Its also twice as fast. You can cover the distance of a foot ball field in 1-2 seconds with this model. Its amazing how fast they are, even in a vertical they accelerate.

As far as speed and costs, the faster you want to go, the more it costs. If you want to get into F5b or other type of racing its even more expensive. If your just looking and a REALLY fast, dependable hotliner, then a power system can be had for $600ish not including batteries.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well , what about the package that is being offered for the rifle. I am thinking that it is in the 350 watt range. From the looks of the video on that package it looks to be going "fast enough".
Old 02-18-2014, 10:19 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This 350W setup seems to move out just fine.

350W (ARC 28-37-2, 1500mAh 25C battery): Now we're stepping it up. Not for beginners. Don't try this unless you've already flown with 300W or are a darn good pilot to begin with. Less thinking, more reacting (which means, in order to react without thinking you better already know what you're doing because there's not enough time to think!). This is when being skilled and confident enough to turn hard and fast helps to keep the plane closer. Otherwise, the Rifle can get away. At this power (and beyond), you still want a nice toss, but launches will be a non-event because the plane gains speed and altitude immediately.

Hereā€™s a nice video flying my Rifle with the 350W setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOxi61oxfnM
Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM
invertmast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well , what about the package that is being offered for the rifle. I am thinking that it is in the 350 watt range. From the looks of the video on that package it looks to be going "fast enough".
350w is probly good for 130- 140mph. I would call that a mild setup in my book and a good starting point if you are a really good pilot to begin with. My xplane is around 3500 watts.

I do believe the Rifle is limited as far as what it can handle because of the wing construction style. Personally if it would me, i would invest a bit more cash towards a better airframe so you will have the option of increasing the power system later. With the rifle, you hit a limit unless you do mods to the airframe.

Models i would look at:

Sokol
Vip Racer
Xplane
Swist

the first two being speed 400 sized power setups and the later being F5B oriented. My skat is also still for sale and i would be willing to come down in price a wee bit more. I dont fly it since getting the Xplane and would like to see it go to a good home.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:21 AM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry for not answering sooner. It seems that the rifle would be a good starting point for me with the 350 watt set up. I just have to wait for tower to get the thing back in stock. sounds like they did some improvements on the airframe. Out of curiosity has any one seen the swists ( spelling) fly?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I looked at the rifle when it came out and it is a heavy pig. Some many other planes in this range that are the same weight as the rifle with batteries. the ones that are lighter will fly longer, faster and land better.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:08 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If $180-$300 is cool, there are a variety of nice small composite pylon racers that will eat the Rifle for lunch - Sokol, Boomerang, Clash F5D, Sunracer, Flash Pylon, and so on.

It might be wise to decide on a budget and see how fast a package you can assemble for X dollars. Otherwise it's a bit of a guess - the sky is the limit, just add money.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MJD,
Can you put me onto where I can track down some of these to have a look at them.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
rpat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Never mind I tracked most of them down.