Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Favorite (available) Tachometer

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Favorite (available) Tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Favorite (available) Tachometer

Always being able to count on the info in the Speed forum, I am wondering which Tach use guys are using? I am in the market for a new one. I had an old Hobbico one, buut my flightbox was stolen out of my shop a few years ago, and I have decided to replace it.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 AM
Petrovsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Fromeco http://www.fromeco.org/products/05frctnc/ and it has been a wonderful tach for years, however I see "Call for availability"...
Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 AM
vertical grimmace

Yah, that seems to be the popular one. I take it call for availability would mean out of stock. Not sure I wanna drop $100 on one either. I am sure it is a fine unit though.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I just broke / smashed a 10 - 20 year old Hobbico tach that might have cost $20 way back then and replaced it with the same thing. It can give obvious junk readings but if you know roughly what you ought to be getting, you will disregard the 50,000 read out and wait until it settles down to what obviously looks feasible. The reading will fluctuate in the hundreds column once it is reading like it should. I can't see needing anything more expensive than this.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the Hanger nine one as its smaller than the Hobbico one but both show the same reading on the same engine at the same time. I only use a tach just to see what the engine turns a certain prop after that I never used for each flight and tune by ear.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 PM
vertical grimmace

I think I had the Hobbico one as well. It certainly did the job. Funny, now that I run mostly gassers, I can install a tach on my plane that will display a reading taken from the ignition module. But I would like to replace my hand held jobby. I guess the batteries are an issue. It would be nice to have one that uses a common type. I do still run glow engines occasionally, and whether the tach is accurate or not, it at least gives you a relative bench mark from prop to prop.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just modify them to hold a CR123 Camera battery will last for 10 years or more
Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently bought the hobbyking cheap thingy...it appears to work amazingly well, for a few bucks. It is "slow", but that means your readings aren't jumping all over the place, which is nice actually. It also stores low and high readings.

Other than that i have a small keychain tach that has served me well over the years (don't remember where i got it)...it just doesn't seem to like low light conditions, like at dusk, or severely overcast weather.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 PM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Fromeco, you get what you pay for. It actually works, no moving it around to get the sun or shade in the right direction, just straight forward no bs.