Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Pusher Plane Prop

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 AM
rcdavefly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pusher Plane Prop

Good Morning ,
I have a pusher plane and have a APC 6x4 prop on it at this time , and would like to speed the plane up a little . I was thinking of replacing this prop with a APC 5x3 to speed up the plane but am not sure about this . Any advice would be appreciated , Thank You
David
Old 05-13-2014, 06:55 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without knowing what powers the airplane, it is impossible to know what effect the prop change will have. What is the engine?

If you are talking .049/.051 power, then there is about a 9.5/10 chance changing to the 5-3 will speed things up. 6-4 is a very high shaft load for nearly all .049's and clamps down the rpm and power.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The Grish company sold a yellow nylon pusher prop of around 5 x 4 size. They are a swap meet or ebay item now. I've cut this one down to about 4.25" for a .049 powered pusher speed plane project. A decent TD should tach about 22-23,000 rpm.
You can also take your 6 x 4 APC and chop it down to experiment a little bit, but APC props work best if you can find the correct size to begin with.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM
MJD

It would be good to know what the engine is. With luck it's a reedie and he has a whole catalog of props available.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 AM
rcdavefly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Everyone
Old 05-14-2014, 07:48 PM
MJD

Don't forget 2 strokes will run hot with excessive shaft load, so when you then put that in a pusher setup you have potential for a temperamental arrangement. So if this is a Cox .049, I'm not a fan of that 6-4 (even in a tractor setup. Let 'em spin, keep 'em cool and happy - 5-3 good prop. I'm not saying it is a disaster waiting to happen, just not a direction I would be comfortable with.

If it is something else.. then what is it rcdf?