Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Just an idea..

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:33 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just an idea..

This forum seems to be pretty dormant these days, A few little things happening here and there, but maybe it needs some new kind of activity to rouse the lurkers and wake things up. I had an idea while thinking about another "category" of frenetic model activity, namely pulsejets, There is a blend of renewed and new, growing interest in them with the relatively recent release of the $99 Hobbyking Red Head pulsejet (essentially a Dynajet clone but likemost HK offerings, great value but just needs some attention to detail). There is interest in larger pulsejets, in other words to join in the fun that has been going on in Europe for years.

Since the vast majority of pulsejet projects are intended to fly fast and scare the bejeezus out of everyone in the vicinity, it seems to me the motives are remarkably similar to those of the extreme speed prop plane crowd and we ought to get along well. I wanted to throw out the idea - to moderator and regular junkies - of diversifying the speed theme by expanding this forum into the "Extreme Speed Aircraft" forum? No secret I'm motivated by interest in both, but I can't believe it wouldn't be interesting subject matter for the majority of the forum members. We're often linking to pulsejet stuff anyway, saying "OMG, lookit!".

Sure they have a natural home in the RC Jets forum, but the turbine crowd isn't entirely friendly towards pulsejets, and there seems to be a pile of disinterest. I thought it might be nice for those feeling outcast to be welcome in alternate haven..?

Last edited by MJD; 11-17-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

+1

I like everything that's scary fast and preferrably noisy! Doesn't matter what it is and how it's powered.
Heck, I bought a Raptor 50 nitro heli a few weeks ago, just for a change...And I end up flying it like a fast plane: low on the deck, doing "pylon" turns, lol.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

as long as it burns fuel... no electric pulse jets!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't like getting stretched too thin.
I'd rather devote adequate time to fewer projects to actually seem them all the way through to their logical end points and the project can either be labeled a success or a failure instead of just another unproven "wall hanging".
I've still got way too many loose ends to even think about creating any more of them.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:53 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in for discussion.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure they have a natural home in the RC Jets forum, but the turbine crowd isn't entirely friendly towards pulsejets,
Those guys usually think they are the fastest guys around. I love the reaction I get when I am out there chasing then leading a turbine plane around with a Q500 ship.
I like seeing a PJ but haven't gotten the right inspiration to build for one yet. Might come in the future and I'll sure cheer on those who try.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:41 AM
MJD

Hearing loss is a good excuse to get into them - once it just doesn't matter any more you have a lot more fun. Any my wife appreciates it too, it gives me a good excuse not to have heard anything she asked me to do that morning.

I'm currently putzing with some alternatives to pressure bladders and regulators for HK pulsejets. We'll see how it goes.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:47 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Into composite Q500's last season
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6347.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	2050066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6350.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	4.20 MB
ID:	2050067  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:25 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sick paint there Sco.
What did you use for hinges?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:39 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by scoeroo
Into composite Q500's last season
Nice, but I don't see a pulsejet on it.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could see a pulsejet on it. It is a V tail after all.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:19 PM
MJD

Now yer talking. The Q500's done in the past with Dynajets weren't killer fast. Better put one on each side..

I love the story of the guys who put one on the bottom of a Playboy oldtimer, figuring it would would blast into orbit in a climb that would shame the prop jockies. I guess you don't have to move an OT model very fast through the air before the drag outweighs the thrust of a Dynajet.. because instead they got a disappointingly slow and gentle climb at about 125dB.