Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Diamond Dust Plans

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust Plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Horn Dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah.. some of those posts just make me laugh as well. I was just loving the launcher... and the sturdy looking music wire to keep engine and prop off ground on landings. I did by solartex for covering.. said to be stronger... and a bit heavier than ultracoat. But change in colors I want to use.. I have to go with ultracoat. Placing another order now lol....

I had an idea to add a small light weight fixed wheel tucked underneath on front side.. So i can reduce skid/drag on covering on landings... But another chance for covering to come off and dust to well.. become dust in the sky and ground. Just an idea... maybe something to try on next build.

black and orange up top.

Red / white checkers 2" squares on bottom.. works well in the sky to tell what side is what.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've noticed how very little has been posted here [as projects] with Rossi power.
SpeedBoy had a Rossi .53 powered Patriot that was pretty fast. I think he built it thinner than designed...?
I wanted a hot Rossi way back when my Fox .40 Deluxe was toast and the hobby shop owner talked me into the Webra .50.
I think the shop owner was partial to best power to weight ratios plus the best dollar value for his customers.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found Rossi engines overweight and over-rated. Like Roseanne Barr. I never liked her, either. At least the Rossi was pleasant to listen to.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:10 PM
combatpigg

30 years ago when I first got into the hobby, I thought Rossi was the Holy Grail of speed engines.
Not because I ever laid eyes on one but because of all i heard and read about them in the magazine articles.
When the first Diamond Dust ads came out with the speed claims, did they ever reveal what the best engine and prop combo was that they used..?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's field lore and tall tales that gave them all that legendary status. "yeah, this guy has one a special Rossi racing engine on it, thing was twice as powerful as anything I ever saw. bla bla.. piled it in, it was doing way over 200.. bla bla" ad nauseum.

Fine engines, no question. But other than the milestones in engine development where they had the latest and greatest competition engines (and they certainly had/have their fair share), I don't believe they have ever been the only game in town for high performance sport engines.

I remember a guy calling me years ago, looking for a pair of MDS .48's. For what? I asked him. It was for a sport scale Learjet with tractor engines in the pods - the infamous "a guy I know" had told him that these MDS engines made more power than most .60's and they're cheap. I think I invested some time in explaining that he should learn to be more skeptical - every time another foreign engine brand appears on the market at bargain pricing, it is not necessarily a great technological leap forward that caught all the mainstream engine manufacturers by surprise.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 AM
MJD

BTW the preceding was not intended to compare Rossi and MDS in any way.. I know better. Just pointing out the folly of BS.

Looking at the Novarossi website, think how many people slap down a credit card for an RC engine based on rpm ratings alone.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:26 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

We raced the Rossi .15 in the old Quarter Midget event, before the Nelson .15 replaced it. That was about 30 years ago. Then the Rossi .40 dominated in Quickie 500 until the Nelson replaced it. Henry Nelson even made a piston, and liner for the 40. Rossi .60's were the premier pattern engine 40 years ago. I still have a couple of Rossi's (15 & 40). It's my opinion that they always had excellent engines for the time period. I would also agree that there is a lot of just BAD information out there about the claims of performance from all kinds of junk, including model airplane engines. As always, do your homework, and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Greg
Old 02-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I still fly Rossi 40's in our Q500 sport class... I think they are fine engines.
With a Nelson Q500 muffler, a 9mm venturi, FAI fuel and an APC 8.75x7.00N prop I'm turning 85-86 second race times.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:00 PM
rcguy59

My Rossis were .40's and .60's, all acquired used, though by no means worn-out. They were OK, but probably older than I realized at the time. I guess even the best become obsolete after a while.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:05 PM
GREG DOE

Rude, The Rossi .40 muffler was a bit of a disappointment. I sport fly my .40 with the Nelson Quickie muffler too. Great combination. Greg
Old 02-08-2015, 06:32 PM
MJD

I think the Rossi .15 was the OS .46 of the speed and FF world for a few years wasn't it, in that it spawned many clones? Plus some limited run engines using Rossi internals. I think that is the story with the AD FAI .15 I have tucked downstairs, I heard not so many a year were made for FAI FF through the '70's. I haven't pulled it apart to investigate, I don't want to get tool marks on the purty head.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 PM
rcguy59

Several years ago our club started a "club race" series using WM Skyraiders with TT GP42 engines. The rules specified prop, (10x5 IIRC) 15% fuel, 13,000rpm max. on the ground and no engine mods. After break-in, I was only getting a bit over 11,000 rpm. The rules didn't mention muffler mods, though it was agreed that removing the baffle was OK. I got out my number drills and began boring out the muffler outlet. I stopped when the outlet tube was paper-thin. Now i was getting a bit over 13,000 on the ground. Richened up to just under 13k allowed it to unload in the air and run quite well. My point here is that 11k to 13k is a helluvan improvement for so simple a mod. Ever since then, the first place I start is the muffler.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:56 PM
GREG DOE

MJD, Rossi .15 (ABC) piston & and liners were approved for installation in the Cox/K&B .15 for the original Quarter Midget event. The Rossi .15 was used in Free Flight, and there was also a free flight, hybrid called an A-Rox, which got it's name from Anderson-Rossi-Cox. I've never seen an A-Rox, but I think it was a Cox/K&B with Rossi internals. Greg
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 AM
Daniel Spurlock
My Feedback: (4)

running an old OS DF 46 rear exhuast on mine.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 AM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ANYONE HERE WANNA SELL A DD?

[email protected]
Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 AM
flyingmachine

for the revvvvvvvers out there, i have dd plans will copy and send out to those interested.....reasonable $$
Old 02-22-2015, 07:18 AM
flyingmachine

OK, Soon I will be building a DD. I am looking for suggestions. I am aware about moving the throttle servo back AWAY from the engine.

Now, #1 I would like to use Carbon Fiber control rods for the Elevons. What size is recommended?
#2 Would servos would you guys use?
#3 I wanna change the vertical stablizers to upright (not angled) and move the outward more. Probably improve stability. Check out this VID https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3bRUpig3G4
Old 02-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Horn Dude

So ive been very busy with the build and with work. But finally got her covered and almost ready for the air! Just gotta secure hatch cover, short break in on engine, range check, and check all parts for tightness.

Maybe someone can ease my mind on the Rx being so close to the battery and servos. Really dont have anywhere else to put it. One of the signal wires goes towards the rear and around the battery. I should be ok correct? Long as I pass range check? Or should i poke a hole in bulkhead rib and push wire into that space....

Maybe a question to ask at my field before flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	038.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	2075566  

Last edited by Horn Dude; 02-22-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:46 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

Originally Posted by flyingmachine
for the revvvvvvvers out there, i have dd plans will copy and send out to those interested.....reasonable $$
Would like a set of plans. Please send price and address.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 PM
flyingmachine

Hello paypal me 30.00 i will ship. Hoff [email protected]
Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM
combatpigg

Very nice..!
I think the very best range check is to work with a helper and a pair of cell phones.
I also walk the field with the engine running at a typical distance from my helper who is working the transmitter.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just was Googling, well I guess Yahooing the DD, and came up with this http://www.spadtothebone.org/PDF/Diamond_Dust.pdf I like the coroplast. I am tired of painting.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been contiplating a folded 1mm thick T-6 aluminum delta should be able to take many years of use.

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 03-01-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Horn Dude

99% complete. Got my radio out to set servo throws, and my new throttle servo will not hold. Guessing a bad pot as it shutters at any stick location. Tried a diff rx, and rx slots and just my luck servo bad from factory. Joy. Went and picked up a new one at LHS. This one is good.

Maybe I am just over thinking or trying to hard, but what is best method for linkage from carb to servo? I am trying to use a piece of music wire and go around the fuel tank. At full throttle, I can move the link a very slight bit due to bend in the wire. Just thinking up in air could make rpms bounce. So anyone have an idea? drawing? picture? of what you have done? First setup with throttle servo moved back. Trying to keep it simple.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 05:41 AM
flyingmachine

Horn, Can you post a pic of what is going on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.