Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust Plans

Old 11-27-2014, 02:25 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Diamond Dust Plans

So I have been searching and reading and hunting down plans for a Diamond Dust. All I have been able to find is a blurry / unclear picture. I did not know that these would be obsolete. Pulled mine out of storage and started the rebuild of the frame. Part im scratching the ol noggin about is the rear fin size. How big and shape to fit down into the center of the fuse.

Anyone have the plans on a pdf file or make a copy I could pay you for?

Thanks!

Nick
Old 11-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well looks like I hit the jackpot! Did a search on ebay for anything related to a DD and found someone selling a set of plans. So when I get them, I will happily share with anyone looking to build up their own DD again.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:47 AM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kit and plans also for sale here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293978
Old 12-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a set somewhere. Don't know if I still have them in digital format. I'll take a look.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well same time Lownverted posted about Ehelibuff selling the plans on link above..he also had them on ebay.which I jumped on quickly. Just showed up at the doorstep today. Like new. In great shape. Now just to make a few copies and put away somewhere safe.

Ive got my frame rebuilt. Just need to work on motor mount and fins. But the big thing is what motor to use. I was looking at a rear exhaust jett 50. What I used before was a Webra .50 with stock pipe. And this time round I will be using a bladder fuel tank.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Jett .50 with a bubbleless tank sounds like a great combo.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

But to decide if I want to go with an ABC or AAC engine for this build. Trying to read up on both of these types. Have any input feel free to share.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you go with a piped .50, get the AAC... you will want to save every ounce you can up front with a .50.
AAC will save you about a half an ounce I think. A pipe is mandatory IMO with a Dust and a .50, it will solve your CG problems.
It will balance perfectly with a muffled .35 and the battery behind the servo's.

Other than that, the AAC's are more user friendly I think. They tend to resist the occasional lean run slightly better. That doesn't mean you can't smoke 'em.

Edit: try to put the throttle servo in between the elevon servo's, it will stand up better to the abuse of a 50 on full song. I've killed a few servo's on Dusts with them glued to the right center rib just behind the engine. It is a harsh environment for any servo.

Last edited by Rudeboy; 12-29-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input. Ive killed a few of the micro servos myself in the current position. But yes I am looking at a rear exhaust jett engine setup. I have O.S on everything else... But I want a rear exhaust setup for this new build. Ill go with the AAC engine.

Did you run a 6V battery pack? Im still uncertain about swapping my packs out with the new 6.6v life packs. I don't want another fail point such as a voltage reducer ( and for this.. more weight)... Servos im using are hitec hs - 7985MG for elevon and hs-85MG mini. Of all info I can't find a def yes its ok or no need a regulator. Only good site ive found for 6v nimh packs is NoBS Batteries. I will not buy a tenergy rx pack which seem to be everywhere. Ill pay more for quality true sanyo cells.

Also another quick question. What Rx? Last build i used 72mhz. Now im using spektrum. Im guessing the AR610 would be the ideal rx with amped antennae? Not sure if AR400 would be a good choice for this speed demon of a plane.

thanks for input.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had no succes with the small hitecs on Dusts.
A good quality standard servo in the center bay between the other two servos is your best bet IMO.

I try to limit the use of voltage regulators. I use a lot of LiFe packs (never had problems with 4.8V servos on these), some NiMH still and HV servos where I use LiPo.

No experience with Spektrum.

Happy Newyear.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I will give a LiFe pack a go on this build. With no regulator. As far as micro servos, I only lost one on mine. Well ok 2 of them. I tried a plastic gear servo and 1 flight killed it. Swapped to metal gears and all was ok. But I will move the servo between other 2 as you suggest. If i kill it, Ill find a good standard one to install.

Got a good Source for LiFe packs? Got an eye on this one. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDVCA&P=ML

Thanks

Happy New Year to you as well!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use Hobbyking for everything when it comes to LiFe and LiPo packs. They are in Q40 and Q500 racers. Never had problems. All else: use TOP gear! At 3 bucks a battery it is cheap to replace batteries every season.

If you look at the plan of a DD, the position of the throttle servo sucks. It is basically glued to the back of your engine mount...on an airframe that uses the covering as a structural element....it will fail, sooner or later.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Their little 700mAh LIFE pack is great for .46-.50 deltas. You can fit it almost back to the TE if you need to. Not that it weighs that much but it can help.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's what I use on most of my racing planes. They are great.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:29 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use the everlast AAA NiMh 850 mah cells in my Q500's - available from wallyworld at a great price
Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well getting closer. Almost time for the covering. Since my job location is not far from Jett, I was able to stop by and take a look at engines and get one ordered. Even though I wanted to go with a 50 with rear exhaust, after some discussion, It was suggested to go with the 40 with the side jett tuned muffler. First Jett engine ive ever owned so I will go this route 1st. Not racing, so this engine should provide plenty of reliable flights and speed. As for the battery. I got a LiFe 900mah pack. And yes the weight is next to nothing. Running a 6oz Jett bladder tank.

And Rudeboy I have relocated the throttle servo between the elevon servos as you suggested. Once I get the engine, I can figure out where to put the battery. I do not want to add lead weights if possible. Covering is going to be Solartex up top, and ultracoat on bottom. Would like to keep the same, but checkerboard on bottom like last build really helps to tell which side is up when rocketing by.

Hardest part for me was getting a damaged and out of square frame all back in order. The rest was cake.
Oh slight edit here. Only engines being made now are the AACs. And if you thought a cox engine was small... he had a few that were even smaller! Bout size of a standard servo.

If anyone would like a set of plans, I can get them copied for 9.50 at my local fed ex.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2070805  

Last edited by Horn Dude; 02-05-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Which model of .40 - the small block 40L, or the Sport Jett .40?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 40L small block. He told me he only makes the BSE engines now.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:32 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horn Dude is getting seriously close to Party Time...!

I've flown a lot of different types and sizes of planes and there were some pretty great model kits to choose from.
I have to say the Diamond Dust with a OS.32 was the most thrilling one I ever flew at the time.
It just seemed like a Ferrari compared with the "Camaros" that I had been flying up to that point in time.
With the light weight .32 it was easy to fly out of fairly short fields, too.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That ought to be a fun combo - he must have recommended the 40L over the 35 for a good reason. Set up to pull a bit more prop, was throttle response part of the picture?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:52 PM
Horn Dude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes... just covering and engine mount. Now if I could make me a launcher like this one or something like it (ideas anyone)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3bRUpig3G4 I would not have to have another guys help with every launch.

Combatpigg.. What was your flight times on your dust? Maybe 3-4 minutes?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 AM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Horn Dude View Post

Combatpigg.. What was your flight times on your dust? Maybe 3-4 minutes?
I don't remember exactly, but the .32 can drink almost an ounce per minute.
I made enough space between the elevons to be able to grip the model at the trailing edge to launch it. Launching with a 8 x 8 prop was simply a matter of relaxing my grip with the model pointed up just 15 degrees or so. It takes a good amount of grip strength and if a strong enough wind showed up it could blow the prop back into your face, so with my right hand holding the radio, I also used it to guard against a "blow back" from happening.

Last edited by combatpigg; 02-07-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:02 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There we go again - the speed claims in the Youtube thread. We had police radar on one with a Rossi racing engine and it pinned the meter at 225..

Yet the same size delta with a thinner wing and an FAI .40 just squeaks past 200.

I think it is safe storytelling practice to derate all un-witnessed speed claims by 20-25%.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:21 PM
combatpigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It looked pretty windy that day.
The down wind passes looked pretty fast and the up wind passes looked pretty mediocre.
I liked the way it leaped off that dolly...!
Old 02-07-2015, 06:22 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That works great. It wasn't these guys claiming insane speeds, it was someone replying with the usual horse manure. I notice that anything flown with a Rossi engine has a high probability of being featured later in several outrageous claims.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service