Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

No.. could it be..?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

No.. could it be..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 12:52 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJD
You're the only guy who's flown one on a Jett .46 with a 2" diameter prop.
Lmao!
I couldn't remember if you were there that day or not. I landed it too, with only some small tares to the underside covering. That was a low pass! Thank goodness for the wood prop.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:28 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I was there - and you got talked in to one more "lower!" pass too many..

Not on camera folks, was the full speed prop strike center stage on the runway - thankfully a wooden prop - subsequent cartwheel, aerial recovery, and after trying to throttle up and getting nothing but a screaming puff of smoke, the glide to the end of the strip, off the field and over the fence to a safe landing. Had to be there.. dude's got some fast thumbs.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could have seen it live but my imagination has it pretty well recreated.

Awesome story.

Dave
Old 01-19-2015, 04:18 AM
smoknrv4

I saved the prop, it's stuck to one of my toolboxes as a reminder of a lesson not learned. Lol
Old 01-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Glad to see you getting production going again. I've wanted to build one of these for while now.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by smoknrv4
I saved the prop, it's stuck to one of my toolboxes as a reminder of a lesson not learned. Lol
You'd have a piece of the engine mounting plate and a R.I.P. picture stuck to the toolbox instead if you'd been using a composite prop. At least it is a testament to the toughness of the airframe.

Gonna build another .25?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:02 PM
smoknrv4

.25? Indeed I will. I have the OS .25vfdf , ops 3.5 fire to try out.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:29 PM
MJD

Your OPS is probably the same case as my .15, but with proper sized internals. Mine is the old large case version. Weight aside, it runs like a top, ~24k in the air on open pipe and 6x5.5 Graupner. Worked dandy on the SD25 but your OS .25 would leave it in the dust.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Yeah I wouldn't mind one either.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:27 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I'm trying to decide between one of my piped .32SX's and my piped Conquest .15 ABC. The Conquest has an OS .32 SF carb on it. Not much of an idle, but it makes a good shut-off.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:56 PM
MJD

The SD25 is prototype form only so far, I cut three, built one, RV4 built one. Gimme a chance to get the regular short kits done, then I have a couple of parts to fix on the .25, won't take long.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:34 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think a K&B 7.5cc DF would do well on this?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:33 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

PM's still don't seem to work.

So put me down for 2 kits when you get everything sorted.
Should make a good home for a Jett FIRE 50 and an OPS 60 VAE.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:40 AM
MJD

All of the above engines sound good to me. The K&B 7.5 has the distinct feature of being really skinny, would cowl nicely if you got fancy.

Actually, I was planning to drop a 7.5 into one of .25 models at some point.

I'm heading out today to pickup some 1/16" ply, then cut some blanks and do some cutting. I'm getting there folks.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 AM
petec

I picked up a pair of KB 7.5s here on RCU. I'll start a new thread looking for prop ideas. But the cowling is an idea I hadn't even considered. I had thought about custom composite tank right on the CG though since the engine is pumped.

I told my father in law about your project to resurrect the SD. He asked if I would get one for hime as well.....so can I get two?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:35 AM
MJD

[Note I am not in SD production status at this time, these are first steps. I was tentative posting progress here but I figured the crowd was finite and knowledgeable enough I could treat this as a beta project, a few short kits out to a few sort-of known speed junkies. So I'm officially not in production at the moment just so readers are clear. Working towards it however, and close now instead of "who knows".]

That said, I'm not pushing back. If I can do you one I can do you two. I have some free time this weekend (the car is warming up for the trip to the LHS) and the plan is to crank out a few sets of ply parts, and get some spars trimmed to size. I'm sure I'll be able to make up 10-12 sets - of short kits though, remember. The rest of the wood is off the shelf stuff, might have to poke through the TE/aileron piles a bit.

The original design used 1/4" balsa (on the 45) as the LE. They actually are easier to sheet the LE and stronger if you instead used hard 3/16" balsa or basswood/spruce - this sits flush in the rib cutout and you can then lap the sheeting over the LE, rather than butt joint. Then carve/sand away. The other addition to the stock design is to cut shear webs from 1/16" or 3/32" and fill thebox between the ribs and the LE sheeting - it is a magical transformation in torsional strength and rigidity. Will be changed in the rev 2 manual.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:39 AM
MJD

BTW if you want a CG tank it is easy to improvise & modify to make up for the lost strength from cutting the spar out in the middle. I am working on design variants to deal with that wish list item. I did it rough and on the fly with the Screamin Demon .65, if you look up that old thread there are all kinds of pics.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Rudeboy

I'm definitely not in a hurry.

I can live with a short kit, but would prefer a more complete pile of wood, since the plane is designed for imperial sized wood and thus I would have to special order a bunch of imperial sized wood to finish a short kit properly. Sanding down a trailing edge stock to fit is one thing, but sanding down a bunch of sheeting is another matter
Old 01-24-2015, 09:08 AM
petec

I appreciate your candor and I understand you are not in production which is why I asked if you could do me two. I am sorry if it was taken otherwise.

My father in law is the guy who introduced me to speed, he has a small rubbermaid tote full of Jetts (hence his giving me a Jett 76 for my Dago Red) and has not been flying very much since my hiatus from RC. Now that I'm getting back to it he is waiting to go fast again and I figured if I was set to build one I could knock out its twin at the same time to give him and set the hook deeper......just a selfish motive on my part.

If you PM me we can have a chat offline. Also THANK YOU for your time on this, its much appreciated.

Pete
Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 AM
iron eagel

Originally Posted by Rudeboy
I'm definitely not in a hurry.

I can live with a short kit, but would prefer a more complete pile of wood, since the plane is designed for imperial sized wood and thus I would have to special order a bunch of imperial sized wood to finish a short kit properly. Sanding down a trailing edge stock to fit is one thing, but sanding down a bunch of sheeting is another matter
The size of the sheathing isn't critical at all, metric equivalents are more than close enough. With this airframe it's all about the structure (ribs and spars, LE) after that it pretty much your choice. Mine is fully sheathed many didn't bother and opted for a d tube with cap strips.
Mine is fully sheathed and highly modified for electric power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SD_almost.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	544.4 KB
ID:	2067264  

Last edited by iron eagel; 01-24-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Rudeboy

Interesting: your workshop looks very similar to mine...
Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM
rcguy59

Is a .77VRDF engine out of the question for the SD? I still have one that needs a home.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:39 AM
smoknrv4

The .77 VRDF, has been done and it's a beast, works great! I think it weighed in at about 4lbs, dry.
i think the spars were reallocated a bit and a third one added in also. See the SD .65 thread.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:50 AM
rcguy59

That's good news! How is it to launch, though?
Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by petec
I appreciate your candor and I understand you are not in production which is why I asked if you could do me two. I am sorry if it was taken otherwise.

My father in law is the guy who introduced me to speed, he has a small rubbermaid tote full of Jetts (hence his giving me a Jett 76 for my Dago Red) and has not been flying very much since my hiatus from RC. Now that I'm getting back to it he is waiting to go fast again and I figured if I was set to build one I could knock out its twin at the same time to give him and set the hook deeper......just a selfish motive on my part.

If you PM me we can have a chat offline. Also THANK YOU for your time on this, its much appreciated.

Pete
No it wasn't taken otherwise, we're all cool. I just realized for general reading I should take a sec to post a reminder that I'm not claiming to be back in the game yet - I was trying to fend off a barrage of request for full kits too soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.