Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

No.. could it be..?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

No.. could it be..?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe if you called it a ****** it wouldn't get censored - let's try that.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 AM
MJD

I need to post a message consisting of the entire Mirriam-Webster collection of rude, vulgar, offensive, and even correct anatomical words - so we can find out which ones are allowed.

Apparently that correct biological term is not allowed. I guess I can't name my next model the ******.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Felix will make a comment if you click on the pic

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	215
Size:	1,007.1 KB
ID:	2072332  
Old 02-11-2015, 03:56 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That's funny.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 PM
MJD

Shucks, I thought he was going to say the word..
Old 02-11-2015, 05:14 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It will purr like a poosie cat.
That is a good looking set up, but I'm curious to see what the difference is between open exhaust and muffled in the air.

Last edited by combatpigg; 02-11-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:14 PM
MJD

The biggest challenge will be finding someone to launch it open exhaust..

If I don't like the way it throttles, I'd be tempted to have Jett make a replacement with a suitable bore size. The carb I put on the OPS .65 works like a charm so far. And it would look kewl.

Oh, for those in line for short kits, all the wood parts and all the spars are cut. I need to pick up a case of mailing tubes and get some plans printed (I have some but too much humidity cycling, they're headed for the wood stove), then we're good to go. Sorry I'm a bit slow guys but we're just about there.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:20 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yippee!!! Now, which engine to use...
Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Awesome! I am looking forward to building this.
I might not comment but I read every post.
I wish I had more to add to this thread but my experience with high performance engines is all in my future. I am a fan of engines but I don't know how much time I want to spend tuning. But I am probably going to learn it any way. I want a good engine but I am not a fan of West or Jett for my own reasons. A carbed engine is my preference...I will be shopping for more powerful engines this summer. Some of the OS and other ducted fan engines sound good but I am not a fan of OS although I would try one before the other two. A Nelson does sound good to me. Ebay bargains is what I am good at. I have yet to determine what I am willing to pay for performance. I
Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 PM
combatpigg

Does the Perry carb have some sort of an accelerator pump circuit...?

It looks like it has a plastic body...?
If so, that would help eliminate stress on the case.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 PM
MJD

Yep they are plastic bodied. About a pump circuit dunno but never heard mention that they do.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM
combatpigg

Right......I was misremembering things I've read. It's the Webra Dynamix carb that has the accelerator pump.

My "word association" with Perry and Pump goes back to another gadget I've never seen or don't understand how it works, and that is the Perry Pump.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:22 PM
MJD

Small diaphragm pump with 1/4psi regulator - one line to crankcase pressure to work the diaphragm, and in/out. I think it is much the same as the pump in a gas carb in that respect.

The mystery is I believe mostly in getting the midrange correct - suction carbs tend to go rich in midrange on pressure. Hence Perry carbs and Perry pump carbs - I think the difference is just the mixture profile in the midrange, been a while since I read that bit somewhere - not on the website I could see.

Unless you mean the oscillating pump?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are correct. No accelerator pump in the Perry Carb. The pump carbs are made to be leaner in the middle because the pump fattened it up some. The standard Perry carb was richer in the middle because they were made to run on muffler pressure.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:10 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by Bonified Wingnut
Awesome! I am looking forward to building this.
I might not comment but I read every post.
I wish I had more to add to this thread but my experience with high performance engines is all in my future. I am a fan of engines but I don't know how much time I want to spend tuning. But I am probably going to learn it any way. I want a good engine but I am not a fan of West or Jett for my own reasons. A carbed engine is my preference...I will be shopping for more powerful engines this summer. Some of the OS and other ducted fan engines sound good but I am not a fan of OS although I would try one before the other two. A Nelson does sound good to me. Ebay bargains is what I am good at. I have yet to determine what I am willing to pay for performance. I
Hi Bonified - if you're not a fan ot Jett or West or OS.. all fine quality engines in their own ways - then whose engines do you like?

How about... an Evolution .60NX (not the large case .61!) with the Jett aftermarket muffler. Killer power in a .40 case, relatively inexpensive. I have one in my original Demon now, waiting until it is NOT -29F plus wind chill to check it out. I bet it will be a riot.

Considering this motor can pull a Phoneix 7 ARF vertically after rotation on a 10-7, it ought to be adequate for a 3lb delta. Trick is to find the sweet prop. I believe joy will be found in a bit more shaft load than the 18-20k rpm .46-.50 crowd. I will start with a 10-7, try 10-8, and likely 9-9, 9-10.

Another idea is the TT Pro .46, again on a Jett muffler. 10-7 or 9-8/9-9 I figure (advice I got was to keep rpm around 17k or so for longevity, someone feel free to chime in). They haul Q500 ARF's in the130-135 range, there is roundabout 10-15mph more speed potential on the Demon.

Don't forget a good .32 - .35 in a .25 case is also a nice powerplant - you get a lighter aircraft that still boogies. All depends your goals - top speed? High revving .46-.60 small block sport engine, .46-.50 DF engine, pylon engines.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would not like a Dub Jett engine.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:22 AM
GREG DOE

I believe there is some misinformation on the Perry Pump, and Perry Pump Carburetors. The original Perry Pump is an oscillator pump. It works on vibration. There is also a Perry Pump that replaces the engine rear cover, and that pump works on regulated crankcase pressure. The pump carburetors have a larger bore, so that more fuel, and air can be ingested. For a given engine, the pump carburetor wouldn't work on suction. Not only would the mid-range be a miss-match, but there would be insufficient fuel draw at wide open. Greg
Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Really it is nothing against the engines themselves but the people that use them were I fly. One in particular is a very unsafe flyer. Among other things he like to fly full throttle directly at the pits and then pull up just as he reaches them. It is just me but in my mind I want to do whatever he is not. I would rather fly with the crappiest stuff available than to mimic what he does in any way. One day he is going to hurt someone and it ain't going to be funny.

Late last year I picked up a few Novarossi's and so far I like them. I have never really propped a glow engine for speed and this will be the first year I have. I started getting into some fast electrics but smoking batteries, esc, and motors for a 3 minute flight is no fun at all. I am hoping find what I am looking for back in fuel powered planes. I have had one Evolution other than the 10CC gas I have. It was a .36 It was one of the best running engines I had till the bearings went out a bit prematurely. I am actually thinking about seeing if I can get the 10GX to go fast in some future project.
I really have no preferences on engines. I have used a lot of different brands and the only one I would say was a waste of money was a .46 Aviastar that never landed with the engine running. I gave it to a friend and even after swapping carbs he couldn't get it to run. I am not against spending a few hundred on a good motor. I think that OS is way over priced though.
I will be happy with anything that will go 130+ and give me 8 to 10 minute flights without having to work on it every day. I think the R528F I have has potential but I am not going to be out testing engines for another couple months. It is way too cold here in Michigan to be putting your hands behind a prop with a 130 mph wind chill.
I might eventuly stop associating West and Jett with a crazy flyer but for the time being I would rather try everything else on the market first.

Sorry for the detour.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Bonified Wingnut

I picked this up at a swap meet for $10...any idea what it is or what engine I should stick on it? Has a span of about 52" and a chord of about 10". It was apparently used for pylon racing. Do you think it is too much plane for that NR .28?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150213_171956.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2072878   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150213_172026.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2072879  
Old 02-13-2015, 03:16 PM
MJD

Looks like a Scat Cat without the profile canopy:

A .25-.28 is enough power for sport flying - see the engine range above.

Near as I can infer, that R528F engine is likely car/buggy derived, and high rpm but modest torque. I think if you try to prop it for max power up in the 25-30k range you'll have way too little disc area for this airframe. Maybe start around 8-6 and see what happens from there? I think you should be able to spin that in the 20k range maybe better? But I don't have an R528F so this is SWAG. A piped mediocre .32 is good for around 18k on that prop, whereas Jett .30's spin a 9-6 the same speed.

The .28 would be in it's glory in a smaller airframe, maybe like a QM15 racer, spinning the crap out of a 6" - 6.5" prop.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:23 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by GREG DOE
I believe there is some misinformation on the Perry Pump, and Perry Pump Carburetors. The original Perry Pump is an oscillator pump. It works on vibration. There is also a Perry Pump that replaces the engine rear cover, and that pump works on regulated crankcase pressure. The pump carburetors have a larger bore, so that more fuel, and air can be ingested. For a given engine, the pump carburetor wouldn't work on suction. Not only would the mid-range be a miss-match, but there would be insufficient fuel draw at wide open. Greg
I was referring to the VP-30 regulating pump. There still is the VP-20 oscillating pump, which is geared towards 4 cycle engines with the larger amplitude vibrations, but is used also on two strokes AFAIK.

But the pump carbs do I think have some feature that cleans up the midrange, not just a larger bore? Otherwise you could just swap in a larger carb. Jett tweaks the midrange with the cam profile on the throttle barrel, and Fox did also according to Jett.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:24 PM
MJD

http://www.perrypumps.com/prod02.htm

current lineup
Old 02-13-2015, 05:12 PM
GREG DOE

MJD, Thanks for the update on Perry Pumps. I Had not seen the VP-30 and 40 series pumps before. I guess I'm still living in the 70's
Old 02-13-2015, 07:49 PM
MJD

Sometimes I wish I still was..

People have JB welded the VP-30 into the backplates of engines before, eliminating the line between the crankcase port and the pump body.. same thing as a backplate pump really.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:44 AM
Mike2735

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Work. Put me on the list for a short kit as well.

Thanks.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.