Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

No.. could it be..?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

No.. could it be..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike2735
Nice Work. Put me on the list for a short kit as well.

Thanks.

Mike
I said I was going to PM everyone on "the list" and get an email group happening, and of course I got on to other things and forgot but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm heading out today and one of our stops is packaging materials. I don't need to use the old Atro Challenger boxes I was using, they are too big for short kits and frigging expensive to parcel post, I remember the last few kits I mailed to the US were $21-$24. And 7-10 days from here Is normal - customs is rarely an issue, it's just the pace of the route between Canada Post and USPS. If we had your Priority Post program, I'd use it. Ours would cost $45 a kit - ack.

I'm going to see if mailing tubes are a better alternative.

Between now and when I get a few packed up with plansets, I will reach out to you via PM and we'll be at the end game.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:30 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the end game.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The endgame will be several videos of SD's powered with a variety of engines and motors, all with decent low passes in front of the camera, so we can all doppler the results!
Old 02-14-2015, 05:09 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peaking of doppler readings, what is the program du jour for that these days? It used to be wave - o - scope I think but that was more than a few years ago. I took a hiatus and would like to get what the updated program is for doppler readings.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Onboard GPS Speed reader 41g reads Mph or Kph.

Horizon's Big 5 GPS is one of them small 1S lipo good for 2.5 hrs continuous use, does a few things.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:14 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GPS is horribly inaccurate though for speed in our planes. It's good for straight line speed, but it doesn't take into account the up and down that a plane does while flying, or the dive.
Doppler is best.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:53 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've recently switched from Android to iPhone. I had a good speed app on my Android, it was much more reliable than what my buddies were using on iPhone. What's the app of choice on iPhone?

Dave
Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Bonified Wingnut

I don't think doppler is accurate at all. I see it is affected by all kinds of different things. Angle, distance, engine rpms and probably a lot more. I don't want to start a disagreement. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:28 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonified Wingnut
I don't think doppler is accurate at all. I see it is affected by all kinds of different things. Angle, distance, engine rpms and probably a lot more. I don't want to start a disagreement. Just my 2 cents.
If you have 2 or 3 different ways to measure speed and they are within 99% agreement with each other...what is there not to like about that...?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:20 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It records all your speeds based on when you preset the intervals for readings
Altitude and total distance along with a area map tracking in blue the route the plane took during the entire flight.
Start and end times just plug in the usb to pc and download all the data to review.
You can hit the play button and the watch the blue line run through the flight pattern seeing when you
was on the straights and when out on the ends of the runway diving. 41g.
A few are heat shrunk to save weight and reduce size one is 21g.

This version records video audio speed the works in real time for review later it becoming a no brainer.
Some of the original stuff was giving errors and bad peaks the kinks are being worked out and gone for
some manufactures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUbn4RadtI#t=39
Old 02-15-2015, 06:03 AM
Bonified Wingnut

Originally Posted by combatpigg
If you have 2 or 3 different ways to measure speed and they are within 99% agreement with each other...what is there not to like about that...?
I don't know. I guess it really isn't that important. It isn't like most of us are trying to get into the record books or something. I might have to get over my stubbornness and get a Jett or something too.

MJD I looked up the Evolution .60NX and found mixed reviews. A few people could never get them running right. Most of them did say they had lots of power though.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:55 AM
MJD

I only have one to speak of - it starts easily, needles okay and runs like a bear, at least on the other aircraft it was on. I had none of the deadsticks people talk about. All I know so far. I had a look at some reviews, and the consenus seems to be - surprise surprise - QC on the carbs. Never heard that story before, huh?

So I am hopeful the Evo 60NX pans out as a good choice in general, but if it has chronic carb problems.. oh well, add it to the list with GMS, MDS, etc..

Making quality carb is a significant percentage of the cost of a new engine.. shame they often suffer as a result. I'd say a big chunk of OS's reputation isn't so much the engines as the fact that the average goof can get one running okay.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:16 AM
Bonified Wingnut

I have a few OS's all bushed and they seem to be excellent running engines.
The 36 Evolution I had was one of the best running I have seen. Just bump the prop with a finger and it would start. Till the bearings went out.
Same with GMS...I own a .32 and it has been running for ever...Been on 2 planes and a helicopter. The only problem it has is that it won't shut off ..which as long as the plane has landing gear it is not a problem.
I have been getting myself to try some of the other brands and get past my prejudice thats why I have the Novarossis. The West and Jetts I have seen are power houses. I have some old engines that I would like to try doing some work on myself. That way if I screw them up no big loss.
I might try the Evolution 60 NX on this one. If it ends up having carb problem they can be replaced.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 AM
MJD

The problem with the guy at your field seems to be that nobody has busted his ass for flying irresponsibly. Is this a club?

I wonder if you could send just as strong a message by flying the same engine as he does, without flying like a jerk? At least that way you could partake in the pleasure of owning a Jett.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:48 AM
Bonified Wingnut

I fly at 2 places. One is a club which he was booted from. The other is an old runway that the county owns that is no longer run by any club. We take care of it ourselves. I have watched him sit in a chair while on a buddy box training another guy not paying attention bull****ting with someone else. The guy flying lost it and by the time he even noticed it was too late. If that was my fault I would have bought the guy a new plane. On another occasion I saw him crash a nitro heli in the pits about 6 feet in front of another guy. Not that he isn't a good pilot but he always has to go for the thrill factor and push beyond what he should. I usually sit in my trailer when he flys. Gives some protection ...just in case.
He kinda turned me off from speed planes all together not any more.
I do agree with you. I can fly the same stuff and be a safer example..and maybe own a Jett.
What I need is to be able to associate the engine with people other than him. I think this thread has helped. I have followed a couple of the people on here (MJD, Combat pig)for a few years. You all have a lot of knowledge I have been trying to pick up.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:12 PM
MJD

I think the message on the Jett (this isn't about your nemesis) is that you're going to spend more money on it than you would a large percentage of other engines. But the amount of cash isn't that much, it's just more than other brands of engine of the same ilk. But you'll love it, and what's that worth? Anyone who knows their stuff who runs them says the same thing - they are very powerful, very solid, very user friendly, and instead of being a pain or being vanilla, they are fun to operate because everything about them works so darn well. IOW they are a treat to own. Hey, there are other engines than fall in that bracket too of course. OPS comes to mind. The .45 RIRE DF is good score for fast prop models, and in my highly biased opinion one of the nicer looking glow engines around.

Crappy pics, but all I had in the already-took department.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	2073484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	2073485  
Old 02-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Looks awesome. I am to the point I don't mind spending a little extra for quality. Space is not infinite so I don't need more quantity. Are the Nelsons a very throttle-able engine? I remebered another thing I didnt like about the Jets. He was running very high nitro fuel in it. I have no interest in paying $$10 a flight for fuel.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:07 PM
MJD

There is no magic to the fuel. Jett engine run beautifully on any 10% or 15%good quality sport fuel. They recommend 4-6 oz extra oil (synthetic or castor) per gallon for the first runs.. easiest is to just get a gallon of 15% syn/cas sport fuel and add 4-6oz of Klotz or castor to it. Use that first. Then use it out of the jug.

I'd take a wild guess your buddy was using 30%. The stock Sport Jetts run up to 30% I think without need for compression adjustment. I use Omega 15% in my Sport Jett .50 and it pulls a Demon fast enough that I once heard a Russian F5D flier yell "holy ---- that thing must be going 300 kilometers per hour!".

Without further ado, grab a bevvie and read the tech section and FAQ page on their web site.. e.g. on fuel and props. Very informative.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Bonified Wingnut

Is the Sport Jett 50 what you recommend for the SD?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. Get the rear exhaust. You will love it.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Futaba GPS telemetry module and 7008 rx set aside for my SD. GPS only works (accurately) in level flight, and doesn't take wind into account. Two level passes in opposite directions, averaged, will answer MY question. If I can get video, I will post it and let the rest of you play with it anyway you like. Should be interesting to see the results. Mine will get a Nelson Q500 short-stroke with an 11mm bore carb. I think 160-170 is within easy reach with this setup. Glad to hear that the short kits are getting near, Mike.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:52 PM
MJD

The SJ 50 is a great engine for the Demon indeed. There is a radar backed claim of 182 on the side exhaust version, cowled. Incrementally "more" is the .56LX, and $70 more too. The website still calls it the .60LX. I think as an engine you can use in a wide variety of applications, and that will haul the bejeebers out of the Demon, the FIRE SJ 50 is a killer choice. I always tell people you can test fly the Demon on a 10-6, the .50 will turn it fast enough to get you in the 110+ range and the acceleration from the hand launch will make you giggle. Then gear up from there. 9-8 APC sport is always a winner. As are the 8.8 pylon props in the 8-9 pitch range.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 AM
klord125

If I had a guy flying at me like that while I or anyone else were in the pit area. The only thing that gentleman would have to worry about is making it out of there with out the plane stuffed up his A@#$.... IDIOT!!!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:46 AM
MJD

I wonder if a cell phone jammer can be tweaked to swamp the RC bands.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:52 AM
klord125

I like your thinking MJD lol.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.