Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

No.. could it be..?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

No.. could it be..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:37 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Tell us more about the orange and white SD with the OPS. I don't think I've seen a cowl this tight without a cutout in front of the cylinder. Is just the top of that head enough cooling or was more airflow added after this picture?

Beautiful work on the cowling. Nice color scheme and graphics too.

Dave
Old 05-12-2015, 02:37 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Those Zippy LiFe batteries are great. I now have either Zippy or NanoTech LiFe batteries in EVERYTHING I fly. 1/2A's, sport, giant scale warbirds, turbines and even in some of my larger electrics that don't use BEC's. I wish they made a 300-400mah one for my 1/2A's. That would be plenty for a few micro servos.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:41 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbacque
Mike,

Tell us more about the orange and white SD with the OPS. I don't think I've seen a cowl this tight without a cutout in front of the cylinder. Is just the top of that head enough cooling or was more airflow added after this picture?

Beautiful work on the cowling. Nice color scheme and graphics too.

Dave
This was a progress picture, I hadn't cut out the cooling vent yet. This is the Demon .65 from the build thread linked in the post last page somewhere. Can't recall but I imagine there are final pics in there somewhere. Time to give it the annual and fire it up again, looking forward to seeing the .67 performance compared to the .65.

Last edited by MJD; 05-12-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:53 PM
MJD

As flown pics here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extr...hts-3-4-a.html
Old 05-12-2015, 05:27 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Ahhh, that makes lots more sense. I knew there had to be a hole, even if it is almost microscopic. Thanks!

Dave
Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 PM
rcguy59

Here's the radio installation. The little widget to the right of the receiver is the GPS module. The pushrods are 4-40 all-thread inside carbon tubes. The tank is retained by a Velcro strap. The radio gear is also Velcro'd in with foam on the underside of the hatch to hold it in place. As I type this, the epoxy on the vertical fins is curing. I got some basic stripes on the upper side that should help the visibility. When the epoxy kicks I'll post the completion photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0315.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	2095616   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0316.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	2095617   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0317.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	2095618  
Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 PM
MJD

Ahhh, that makes lots more sense. I knew there had to be a hole, even if it is almost microscopic. Thanks!

Dave
The engine seemed happy through the runs, didn't show any signs of excessive heat. One of the things that startled me when I worked it out is the air consumption.. about 4 litres per second at full bore. Gotta make sure the thing can breathe too.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:06 PM
MJD

My internet bandwidth is presently choked by two people on Netflix so for now I can only see the thumbnail pictures.. but that looks pretty sharp and.. it also looks like it will be ready to go this weekend.

Looking forward to a .32 flight report!
Old 05-12-2015, 07:13 PM
rcguy59

A Done Demon! I'd like to thank you, Mike, for a very nicely executed kit. The only change I can suggest is to make those lovely little jig/stands a bit taller. With the spinner ring in place, they no longer sit flat on the bench. Aside from that, the parts fit was excellent with no adjustments needed anywhere. Nice work. Our monthly club meeting is this coming Saturday so if I don't get it flown before then, I'll probably do the deed on Sunday. The buddy that sold me the Nelson shoots very nice video, so I'll try to talk him into getting the maiden or a later flight that day on video. My radio records the highest speed attained on a flight and also displays it in real-time. I need to remember my headphones so that I can listen to the radio's voice call out the speed as I fly. I can't hear the damned speaker over an engine anymore. Getting old, I guess.Any suggestions for control throws and expo settings? 2lbs,12oz, dry.

Name:	SAM_0318.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	2095634   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0319.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	2095635  

Last edited by rcguy59; 05-12-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:14 AM
MJD

That looks real good. 13.25 oz/sq ft = fun.

I tend to use triple rates - slow/large throws, medium/sporty but controllable, fast/smooth roll and pitch rate. My high speed throws run between 0.10" - 0.125", medium maybe 3./16" tops, low speed I like a lot of elevator flare. But - your model is lighter than any of mine so your mileage may vary. I tend to use no more than 30% expo on anything, at high speed I like soft and almost linear.

The roll rate on my prototype with the Jett .50 on high rates is off the scale, as in 6-7 rolls per second. I don't do that low to the ground. In truth, I could spend a lot more time optimizing throws and expo but I get by.

AND.. thank you!! for the first piece of constructive feedback I have received on this batch. I will make those jigs taller, easy. I haven't used one yet because I have a fixture.

Is that a 4oz or 6oz tank? Maybe one day treat yourself to a Jett 6 oz short or a small Tettra bubblefree tank, I love them. The only thing I can see is that - if the fuel draw is still good - I'd move the tank as close to the CG as I could. But again - with your lighter airframe and the smaller fuel payload, maybe it's perfect as is! I really don't know, so look forward to your flight report. I have a lightweight (select wood and lightening holes bla bla) airframe completed, and still vacillating over the powerplant. I have too many engines but no .32 size. The critter on my right shoulder says "no!" but the one on the left says I need a Jett .35. I like the one on the left but it gets me in trouble.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:54 AM
MJD

This weekend I plan to fly the .60NX/Jett muffler Demon combo (my original proto Demon). I don't expect any more performance than I saw with the Jett and West .50's, in fact more likely less, but it is a readily available setup and worth checking out because it drops right in. The .67 is ready to go too, but that is not a casual sport outing, need experienced helper and half a day to putter at the field.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey that looks great RCguy! Have fun!

flew the jett60lx demon for a few warm up flight s this past weekend, then test flew my Hot Spot Turbine a couple flights. Wow! What a hoot!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	2095675  

Last edited by smoknrv4; 05-13-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 AM
MJD

Nice!

But you suck for getting your turbine flying first. (or more correctly, I suck for not being finished yet..).

Gonna need your launch power for the Demon .67.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 AM
smoknrv4

Originally Posted by MJD
Nice!

But you suck for getting your turbine flying first. (or more correctly, I suck for not being finished yet..).

Gonna need your launch power for the Demon .67.
LOL!
Whats the hold up man?? Parts, time?

I still enjoy flying the demon though, it's become kind of an ole' favourite faithful, if you will.

Hand launching the .67 be a real treat, can't wait!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM
MJD

The holdup is slothfulness, and I got distracted by the Virus and laser cutting and other stuff. The Virus is on the bench at present, I'm wiring up the Nicad packs and making a doodad to hold them stuffed up into the nose along with some lead. Gotta mount the Rx, might get a different Rx too, not sure yet. Other than that, I need to shoot a coat of metallic charcoal on the bottom and a clear coat on top and finish the trim.

The L-39 needs some focus on the elevator and rudder linkages and equipment mounting, but the grunt work like the engine and tailpipe mount is done. The nose gear is likely a two day project to wrap up.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:29 AM
rcguy59

This picture is from last weekend. I decided to get in some turbine flights before the field got too dry (and flammable). My buddy Dennis showed up too, so we had an impromptu "Mother's Day Jet Rally". That's me on the left with the clipped wings and Dennis on the right with the stock wing. I took 8in. off of each tip to help the roll-rate. At full aileron deflection, the airplane is literally a blur. Twenty pounds of thrust doesn't hurt, either. Great fun.
Thanks to all for the help and encouragement on the Demon and especially to MJD for making them available again. This is gonna be a great ride.

Name:	SAM_0311.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2095690  
Old 05-13-2015, 10:29 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by smoknrv4
LOL!
Whats the hold up man?? Parts, time?

I still enjoy flying the demon though, it's become kind of an ole' favourite faithful, if you will.

Hand launching the .67 be a real treat, can't wait!
I checked to see if the .80 would fit, but the case is wider.. don't want to carve out the mount at this stage.

If I get comfier on the .65/.67 Demon I'll pull the Jett carb and drop in a venturi.. can still use the IMC. Since the p/l is fresh I may go 30% fuel vs 15% as well. Why not..
Old 05-13-2015, 10:31 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by rcguy59
Thanks to all for the help and encouragement on the Demon and especially to MJD for making them available again. This is gonna be a great ride.
I sincerely hope you have a pile of fun with it!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM
smoknrv4

Originally Posted by rcguy59
This picture is from last weekend. I decided to get in some turbine flights before the field got too dry (and flammable). My buddy Dennis showed up too, so we had an impromptu "Mother's Day Jet Rally". That's me on the left with the clipped wings and Dennis on the right with the stock wing. I took 8in. off of each tip to help the roll-rate. At full aileron deflection, the airplane is literally a blur. Twenty pounds of thrust doesn't hurt, either. Great fun.
Fantastic! Those jets fly like a dream.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 AM
rcguy59

That is my sole intention, Mike. I'm already contemplating my next Demon. Yes, I've got the Nelson .40 S/S but I recently acquired a low-time YS.45 F.I.S.E. with a pipe and header. I've flown it a few times now and it absolutely HOWLS. It's actually pretty user-friendly and I think it would be great for a "sport" Demon just for blasting around the field to scare the old guys.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:38 AM
MJD

I agree - put a strong but tractable engine on it and you have a lot more versatile aircraft. The Sport Jett .50 version was great for part throttle close in fun and games too, whereas the open piped West .50 was more of a 1-2-3 idle - medium - full bore selector switch.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:45 PM
MJD

Mike, I'm more excited about this test flight than anything I have on the bench right now. I keep checking to see if you snuck out in the evening and flew it..
Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 PM
MJD

Dave
LOL - I just remembered that was the first and last flight on that prop. $16 and 30 minutes of trimming, shaping, balancing.. 2:30 flight, SNAP = "[d]uck!"

It worked well, I have 2 more in stock, so there's two more flights anyway.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:14 PM
rcguy59

Sunday looks like the day. I'm not too concerned about it as there are more similarities to my Outlaws than there are differences. The Demon is lighter, so it should launch better. The launch is my only real concern. My biggest problem will be the other guys at the field trying to figure out how to get me to sell it to them. There are several guys that like this kind of airplane but either can't or won't build one for themselves. Most of them can barely fly the stuff they have, but that never stops them. That's the main reason I'm not taking it out Saturday as there's a club meeting that day and there will be far more people there than a normal Saturday. I don't care for an audience when readying a maiden. I started looking for a spare engine to take with me "just in case". I found a ringed .32SX that's never been run, but thought I had more. Then I remembered my F-82. It has two .32SX's in it and also needs a maiden. Maybe Sunday will be ".32SX Day" Counting the ones in the Twin Mustang, I have six and I'm starting to think I need another one or two. Where does it end?

Name:	SAM_0321.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2095978  
Old 05-15-2015, 08:11 AM
MJD

Make a building jig and I'll ship you bulk packs - you can be the local ARF Demon pimp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.