Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

No.. could it be..?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

No.. could it be..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 03:13 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still reading in the SD .65 thread, now reading about launch technology. There were thoughts about a dolly with nose wheel steering and a servo connector that would pull away.

I've got a friend who built a dolly with nose wheel steering and in the "why didn't I think of that" department, he just put a second receiver and battery into the dolly. Duh! So now, there's no worries about connectors separating and such, plus you'll have full control over the dolly after the plane leaves. But I highly suggest you fly the plane rather than drive the dolly at that point!

Okay, I've finished the SD .65 thread. I've filed away all the SD thoughts I thought I'd want to reference again and I've got most of the materials I need (still need a few items but not right away). Weather is looking bad for this weekend. Might be time to start selecting balsa!

Dave
Old 10-29-2015, 05:18 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the end, we just hand launched it of course.

I still want a universal delta catapult though..; maybe this winter?
Old 10-29-2015, 05:42 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Dave. Maybe, as a last choice, you could see if Dub could install one of his bladders in your tank?
Just thinking. Since the "tank" doesn't actually hold the fuel (the bladder does) maybe you could make a fiberglass "tank"? Or maybe you could take an off the shelf tank, and heat it, and reshape it?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:19 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to use a baby bottle liner inside a regular tank, just to try. I think a .65 would use up the 4 oz. tank I was thinking of before even launching. I think there are 8 oz liners, which could be made to fit inside a pop bottle or whatever, and a pressure fitting on the side of the tank.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:39 PM
MJD

Hi Dave,

I missed a couple of your other posts.

I was messing with polyethylene liners, even to the point of rigging up a hot wire to seal customer bladders. Did have some success, but had some trouble getting the Hayes conversion to work as the shape of the required bladder was a couple of skill levels past where I was at. Rigged up a few and had sojme success and some ad a few leakers after they worked at first. I think Jett just wedges the crap out of the rolled neck of the liner, between his snug fitting o-ringed cap and the bottle neck. The cap is then sealed to the neck with a heat shrink collar.

I think I put an 8.5oz Tettra in finally - have to pull the cowl and check..
Old 10-30-2015, 04:55 PM
dbacque

Whoa, don't pull anything from any airplanes on my account! I appreciate the thoughts on the bladders but it sounds out of my league.

Yes, I have a Tettra 8.5 oz. ready for my SD. So that's all good. But what the heck was up with my Hotser?

After pulling the engine from the Hotser and reconfiguring from a backplate mount to a standard backplate. And after reading lots of posts about cowled SD's. I was holding the engine in my hand when I realized that the Jett small fuel filter was unscrewed most of the way. Duh, that looks like a big honking air leak to me!

I've put the backplate mount back on, Locktited the filter and reassembled the Hotser. To top things off, I've added some cool new graphics since I now own a vinyl cutter.

Storms move in tonight so the weekend is a bust. But I'll try running the engine when things clear up. If it's all good and the flies well, well who knows, I may just have to find a new engine for the SD.

So I went to the Jett web site. They are now shut down! Looks like a sale or something is happening. But they do say to call for orders. I'll be calling them on Monday to see what's up. I was planning on getting a new engine and parts for another, possibly something else too. We'll see what happens.

It's not really a Hots. It's highly modified. And the last speed check was 147 mph. And I hadn't done any work on the prop yet. If the engine runs well again, things should pick up with the things I've learned since then.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotser 1.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	2128455  

Last edited by dbacque; 10-30-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:01 PM
MJD

I was brain dead last night (partially self inflicted..?) - I forgot the SD 65 had the longer tank bay. It has a Tettra 10.5 oz bladder tank.

The Euro guys typically use 250cc on their 10cc ships. But they don't really sport fly, they fly the traps.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:03 PM
MJD

Glad you found a simple obvious answer to the engine woes! I was PO'ed the other week with my Profi .049, so parked it and moved on. Turns out I have one Nelson plug that won't seal100%.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:23 PM
dbacque

Originally Posted by MJD
I was brain dead last night (partially self inflicted..?) - .
Yeah, I self inflict too!

Can't wait to run this thing. It's only slightly related to the thread. Engine was destined for a SD so that's related. Now, maybe not if I can make it run in the Hotser. But folks on this forum have heard about both planes so I figure what's the harm.

If the Hotser gets back to being flyable, I'll have to look for another engine for the SD. Maybe a Jett .56 LX? Woo Hoo! Tried to order one earlier today and found their web site down. They said to call. I'll call Monday to see about ordering engines. I'll let y'all know.

Dave
Old 10-30-2015, 06:58 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by dbacque
Yeah, I self inflict too!

Can't wait to run this thing. It's only slightly related to the thread. Engine was destined for a SD so that's related. Now, maybe not if I can make it run in the Hotser. But folks on this forum have heard about both planes so I figure what's the harm.

If the Hotser gets back to being flyable, I'll have to look for another engine for the SD. Maybe a Jett .56 LX? Woo Hoo! Tried to order one earlier today and found their web site down. They said to call. I'll call Monday to see about ordering engines. I'll let y'all know.

Dave
Well, as the OP I haven't complained about mentioning the Hotser, so I wouldn't worry about it.. And your problem diagnosis applies to anything.

Yeah I just spotted the Jett notice today too. Will be interesting to hear the outcome of your call, do let us know anything worth knowing..?
Old 10-30-2015, 07:01 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by dbacque

Dave
This is related too.. been doodling.

Name:	Pulsejet_version-Model.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	2128463  
Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 PM
MJD

deleted double post
Old 10-31-2015, 04:20 PM
dbacque

Woo Hoo!
Old 10-31-2015, 05:19 PM
MJD

The Nelson on front is just to make it legit for the forum. IMHO the petal reed looks enough like a prop.

Anyhow yep that is a restructured Demon wing, new tips, and a place to put more stuff.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:23 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

This video is from 1944. Look at the first model shown. Remind you of anything?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b2TvjL2lpo
Old 11-01-2015, 03:27 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Remember, no CA glue, no Monokote...just a lot of effort and skill.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:24 PM
rcguy59

Definitely Old School.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:26 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by rcguy59
This video is from 1944. Look at the first model shown. Remind you of anything?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b2TvjL2lpo
I consulted with the prototype Screamin Demon, and was advised that is the oldest known relative, and may very well be the great granddaddy of them all. Love the video!

Somewhere in the middle it looks like a propulsive device of some kind being ignited?
Old 11-02-2015, 12:23 PM
rcguy59

I read somewhere that he used solid fuel rocket motors in some of his test models. Alexander Lippisch was a full-blown genius and never got the post-war recognition he deserved. He continued his experiments right up to his death in the mid 70's.

Name:	Alexander Lippisch.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	2128801  
Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM
MJD

While I lived in Colorado Springs I met and got to know Dr. Lippisch's model maker Larry Conover (in later years, don't remember the chronology and locations) and we fooled with some small models together. Larry had never messed with model rocket motors before and had some wild moments with his first boosted glider attempts. It ain't Jetex!. I showed him some typical boost glider setups and he had some fun with a few designs of his own.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:20 PM
dbacque

Hi Guys,

I just got off the phone with Dubb Jett, he's always a delight to talk with!

First and foremost. Yes, they are still open, engines are being produced and the web site will be back up very soon.

Second and foremost, I have a new engine on the way for my SD! I had called to order a .56 LX rear exhaust. After we discussed the project, he asked me to let him talk me out of that engine and into the .50 LX rear exhaust. He said the .50 would be within a "gnat's hair" of the .56 and it is a much more bullet-proof engine. Done. He tried again to talk me out of it and again I said Done. You're the man. That's why I called.

We talked setup, we talked prop selection, we talked about the business, we gabbed like old friends. It's always a so much fun to talk with Dubb. He is the coolest guy in the business.

So I have a Jett .50 LX Rear Exhaust BSE with pre-tuned pipe all set up and waiting for an SD on order and being custom built. And Dubb says, if it doesn't run right, your tank is the problem!

Dave

Last edited by dbacque; 11-03-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really,
Last time I talked to Dub, I called him to order a RE56. He talked me into a 50. My latest speed plane sports a RE50 with a carbon fiber tuned pipe, turning an 8.8x9 at 19,500 on 15%. Listen to him, he knows what he is talking about.

Not only that, Dub is a really nice guy.

Scott
Old 11-04-2015, 05:33 AM
MJD

Glad to hear all is well at Jett!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The expert machinist / entrepreneur is a very special breed.
Imagine how supremely confident you have to be in order to buy $MM equipment and materials before you've made your first dollar.
You have to be able to not only build a better mouse trap in a very competitive market but also be able to do it quickly and efficiently enough.
Customer support for racing engines..again a special breed of business man with enough patience to deal with that, too.
Who knows how many hours over the years must be devoted to customer service and public relations in general.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:57 PM
rcguy59

I finally got around to knocking up a 1/2A Demon. Looks like the A/U weight will be 12-14 oz. which should make it pretty lively. Span is 18". Power is a Norvel .074. Construction is ala Demon, balsa, lite ply and carbon tubes for spars. I got a little too clever for my own good and couldn't fit a battery in it along with a receiver. Ordered one of those voltage increasing doodads from HK along with some 300mah 1S LiPo's. Problem solved. Still need to make the vertical fin and shape the elevons, but it's close to covering. I think I'll call it "Demon Seed".

Name:	SAM_0540.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2129061   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0541.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	2129062  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.