Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Extreme speed NOT-prop plane

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Extreme speed NOT-prop plane

Old 09-25-2015, 12:39 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

I’m back on the grid again.

I had the Virus 100% checked out ready for fly for Tuesday evening. Instead of flying, I ended up working until 4am trying to cobble together a rather lucrative automation quotation I’d been assembling on for the last two weeks and that was due Friday. Stupid late suppliers and other issues had me to the ropes. I have no back up so I was pissed.

Wednesday night was the last chance.. and as it turned out my #1 copilot, ground crew, mechanic and buddy and probably one of maybe 4 guys in Canada who might know how to start the thing - had to take his dad to the hospital. I was a worn out sack of **** from the last few days as well.. so I just threw in the towel. At that point I knew spring was the next time I’d have this thing out.

So… my neck surgery was on the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] (C3-4-5-6 fusion – now I have 4 vertebrae vs 7, but one of them is extra long now. Owls have 14 IIRC.), and I’m getting mobile enough to crack out an email or a piece of toast, or take a short stroll with my wife on my six, etc. Really sore still, and need to take it pretty easy. Off work 6-8 weeks for sure.

I’m not prepared to let anyone else maiden this thing – that’s part of the whole experience. I know maybe two people I’d trust with that. But if things go well over the next three weeks and I feel up to it, I may have a solution. I will still be in a neck collar and pretty limited in range of motion, and not able to lean back my head to higher elevation angles or turn more than maybe 10 degrees. This as you can imagine is something you’d expect to need to do while piloting a pulsejet, like watching a giant ping-pong game.

But I can situate a swivel chair right by the runway intersection, which is where we’ll launch from , maybe I can compensate. So we’ll try this out in a dry run, but with a bar across the back of an office chair so a helper can turn me if needed, and on a firm flat sheet of plywood.. might be able to do it! I sure do not want to wait until spring. Winter kicks in at different times but a couple of years ago we only shut down the glider field on Nov 16.

Sorry to keep y’all hanging, I nearly made it. But there was a lot of crap in the background doing it’s best to thwart my plans. I found myself looking forward to surgery as a break from my job. Gonna try to fly this thing this season yet.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Famous last words: " Gonna try to fly this thing this season yet "

What a multiple paragraphical lot of horse swaller!!!!!!
Any more excuses you could have added to seal up your elaborate farce????

get well soon Mike we are all rooting for ya!!!!!!!!!!
Just remember if you can type you can build

My favorite RCU Ad:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	12865320327709163731.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2122293  

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 09-25-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:34 PM
MJD

True.. my first planned act of keyboarding/building is the Profilactic 1/2A.. Been on the CAD today in short spurts, finishing up the wing centre section and a few fuse details. Should be ready to cut some parts tomorrow, I was pretty close already.

I've been shadow flying today (my wife was wondering if I overdid the hydromphone) as in leaning, looking, turning in simulation of high speed passes and big turnarounds. This may not as hard as I thought. I am thinking positive.

See, this the problem when playing "why this or that ain't done yet" - the excuses just have to get more and more obscure to maintain credibility. But maybe I went too big with the surgery story.. ?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:35 PM
MJD

Love that ad!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:01 AM
Pond Skipper

There still is no defined end date to the competition rumor has it Oct 31st.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:48 AM
MJD

Suitable signage for a pulsejet flying site..?

and for the aircraft itself?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

MJD, I hoped by now they had something better to offer than fusion.
I recall how sore my hands were at 8 weeks after carpal tunnel surgery and they weren't ready to grip tools [but the State L&I said that I was ready].
Tilting back the head for long stretches is a pain, so avoid it. Fly larger models, further out.
After my wrist surgery[s], I had to ease back into flying for awhile.
I imagine that swimming is considered good medicine for back patients. Seniors in the US have what's called the "Silver Sneakers" free health club membership now. Our local club has an indoor pool. The local High School and YMCA also have pools. I've got some back "issues" that come and go and what helps is normal paced walking on a treadmill. The treadmill has a spongy feel that agrees with my back. Driving for long stretches and sleeping wrong are my things to avoid.
I guess you should be itching to have some stitches removed by now...?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:23 AM
MJD

No, there is a lot of bandaid and epoxy repair in spine surgery still it seems.

The staples come out Tuesday, and I am looking forward to that although they don’t cause any direct discomfort. Anything involving neck muscles makes them grumpy in no time though. Typing for 5 minutes is okay then my arms have to go down.

I’ve always enjoyed swimming and it is a goto exercise for me when needed. The front crawl is my favorite though.. and the rotation may not be there anymore. Have to find a new fav I guess.

Name:	roboneck.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	920.3 KB
ID:	2122363  
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Pond Skipper

Yesssa some spot on signage
Your going to have to be patient and real careful to let yourself heal proper so far the procedure was successful.
Old father time needs to sprinkle some fairy dust on it now along with multiple vitamins and extra D3.
Slow fly electric park flyers are easy to lift and they putt putt about allowing slow movements to follow.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 AM
MJD

I have a tree lined ball diamond out back in the comm center, with bleachers for the pilot. I most definitely will start out with gentle parkies and work up from there.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:25 AM
Pond Skipper

I remember when the GWS planes and parts came out the foam wing stick types can tick tick along giving you time to enjoy the beauty of flight as the feather weight craft engages its path.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:59 AM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one I found for my Demon. Suits the Virus as well, I would think.

Name:	SAM_0534.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	2122380  
Old 09-26-2015, 12:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That's perfect..!
Old 09-26-2015, 01:08 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by Pond Skipper
I remember when the GWS planes and parts came out the foam wing stick types can tick tick along giving you time to enjoy the beauty of flight as the feather weight craft engages its path.
Yep! Great slow motion fliers and very honest about it. Myself and a buddy/neighbour had Pico Sticks, beat those up, then the big Slow Sticks. I still think there are very few better first aircraft, I would hand a trimmed SS to anyone and let them have a go. We flew combat with the Slow Sticks and used to laugh our butts off with full contact stupidity. Tape is your friend.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:09 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by rcguy59
Here's one I found for my Demon. Suits the Virus as well, I would think.
Oh yeah . Fly it over the wrong neighbor and they might take care of reinserting it for me..
Old 09-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Pond Skipper

This should be easy on the neck with inflated fuselage super slow flyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTtWnFMc_s
Old 09-27-2015, 08:43 AM
dhal22

Originally Posted by Pylonracr
Well???

Exactly.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:10 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by dhal22
Exactly.
Read above.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 PM
MJD

Well, doggone it, it works... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO4QvkvAoaA

I know this isn't suction draw through the pump, it did not work until I made a couple of small but significant changes.

I'll test more tomorrow, then into a Screamin Demon it goes!
Old 10-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Pond Skipper

LOL did you hear that echo after shut off .. imagine running one in the local housing area you would be hunted down and throgged on the spot. I want a small micro size version say 7in enough to fly a 10oz all up and ready to roll.
I have heard a smaller home made version still a bit loud but reasonable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7P48BKfAs

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 10-23-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 PM
MJD

My next door neighbors love it when I run pulsejets on the back deck. Well, one of them thinks they are cool, the other tolerates it out of kindness. I take the 90mm behind our place to the communty centre ballpark thinking that helps, though my buddy up the road pointed out it doesn't matter where I run it, the entire village can hear it - inside.

I think that is the echo between the houses on either side of us.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:03 PM
MJD

The Virus is on deck, now it is up to the weatherman. Tomorrow looks like crap - 25 mph winds, but we'll see when the morning comes. Monday's forecast looks much better, it is an option.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Pond Skipper

Early AM is normally lowest winds of the day set your alarm clock. I use the hourly wind forecast.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:57 PM
MJD

Good idea, but our closest neighbor is a farm and church to the east.. we gotta wait until noon or 1 pm with this thing or we'll piss someone off big-time.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:57 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't piss someone off with a pulse jet, you ain't tryin'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.