Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Woo Hoo!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I heard a few WOO HOO!!!!s........There was a lot of great action and sound effects..!
Andy goes way back...he remembered the fly away at the Lincoln Nats that hit power lines and blew up a power transformer.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:13 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You were at the Lincoln Nats? My old flying partner, Dave Henderson, was in the Fast final, and lost the match to a streamer handling error! He most likely would have won that match, as he had a modern design, and the other guy had a Voodoo! He always talked about that match. So he came in 2nd.

I am of the opinion that the speed limit events, namely 75 mph, is the best event out there. Not too fast, lots of action, emphasis on air time and cuts. It is more fun than any other combat event I have flown.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:52 PM
combatpigg

I wasn't at the Lincoln Nats, but I vaguely remembered the write up [Charlie Johnson had the column then] about the explosion. Just last winter the subject of flyaways came up and I relayed the story about the exploding transformer and power outage. This is when I was bombarded by Electrical Engineers and other experts who claimed that this could not have happened. That it's physically impossible for .018" wire to bridge between 2 phases or phase to ground long enough to blow anything up. Their reasoning was that circuit breakers would save the day.
I couldn't argue, but I put out a APB to all "Old Timers" who could back me up. This is when Andy weighed in with his account of what happened and by this time I was able to produce the AMA magazine article that reported the explosion.
Technically, if the voltage is high enough and the atmospheric conditions are right, something like a tiny steel cable could flick a power line, ionize the air and create a fault current that the fuse doesn't react to until a transformer gets boiling hot and erupts like Mt. Vesuvius.
I always liked 80 mph because it gave me time to see which way to turn to untangle lines and time to abort an attack / collision. I like using the heaviest engine I can for these events because it makes the plane pull hardest and improve the odds of coming out on top when lines get tangled.

Last edited by combatpigg; 09-25-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:08 PM
vertical grimmace

Everyone is an expert! RCU has taught me that! lol

You are right about the bigger engines and the time to react in the speed limit events. I have way more experience flying 80, than I do any other speed limit. 70 is too slow IMO as you almost need a specific design as you can start to have stall issues at high angles of attack.

The modern .25 engines weigh as much as a Fox combat .36, and are of higher quality really. They are easy to tune back to the 75 mph speed. In fact, I have 2 new .25 ASP's showing up tomorrow. I am getting a couple of custom venturis as well for this engine. They are tapped out on the bottom to accept a nylon bolt, which can be screwed in to choke off the air, and fine tune the speed. I am excited to build a new fleet of speed limit planes and get some new engines on them. I have a full slate of projects for this winter!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
RTechnically, if the voltage is high c and the atmospheric conditions are right, something like a tiny steel cable could flick a power line, ionize the air and create a fault current that the fuse doesn't react to until a transformer gets boiling hot and erupts like Mt. Vesuvius.
You can trigger lightning with 30ga copper wire, if the field is up to a few kV / meter. So why not. Wonder what the primary side was there?
Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 PM
combatpigg

The lines that feed our neighborhoods are 11800 volt..{IIRC]. There are also 3 phase commercial power lines that I have no idea about what the primary side is.
Anyway, the power loss at Lincoln wasn't the only one that I can recall due to a "Fly Away".
Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For distribution lines around homes in TX:
Single phase to ground is normally 7200
13.8kv
Two phase line is 14.4kv
there is 12470
Old 4160

3 phase line in combination can carry a wallop to trees, roofs etc.
Things are dependant of Delta or Wye distribution capacitor banks down line
can smooth out voltage if there is line lag. Summer time will lag the lines.
I was a HV Power Linesman for almost 16yrs back in the day.

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 09-26-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:41 AM
combatpigg

Oh that's right, I think we have 13,800 running to the neighborhoods too.
I forgot about 4160 [4180?] volt, 3PH ..I've seen it fed to some industrial pumps directly.
I've gotten a few "handle shocks" while flying control line, and they would happen repeatedly at the same part of the circle.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 AM
vertical grimmace

It had always been said that contact with power lines was not necessary to get electrocuted. I have been zapped when thunder storms were present. Can't we thank a lawsuit over an electrocution to the demise of the E Z just handles? I luckily found a brand new Hot Rock E Z Just handle on the bay last year. I considered it quite the score, considering it is brand new.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:42 AM
combatpigg

The lawsuit must have needed some sort of demonstration to prove that a well insulated handle would have saved the day...?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:48 AM
MJD

During lightning triggering experiments I was working on some 20 years ago, the graph of potential in kV per meter over time was a repeating sawtooth that would peak around – IIRC – 8kV per meter. By that time either we would trigger it ourselves, or it would strike within 2-3 miles and back to the bottom again. The period is foggy, but I am thinking 20-40 seconds or so was what we were dealing with at the time - I am sure that varies with the properties of the storm.

However unless you move quickly enough the through the field charge the potential rapidly equalilzes. We had to move the wire over a certain speed for it to be effective.. rockets are good for that. I'm thinking about this and combat models.. I can see some potential difference happening as you cut through an area with a fair space charge.

After watching a few triggered strikes at fairly short distance (yes in a large shielded enclosure) I decided it deserved even more respect..
Old 09-26-2015, 09:49 AM
Pond Skipper

4,160 Chuck.
On base at the airfield lighting vault we had some odd ball 4,600 the low stuff can carry a lot of amps! In the early mornings working on the lines the moist air would cause excessive crona snapping and popping on my rubber sleeves I could fill it in my arms.
Near the end of my career I had complete rubber glove failure one warm sunny day while up in the fiberglass bucket the shock went through my arms and chest shook my like arm back and forth and tossed me down into the bottom of the bucket.
I finished up college degree fast as possible and in a 1yr ish time I started my new career at a engineering firm whewww

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 09-26-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:54 AM
vertical grimmace

Yah, whenever we got the little zaps in the handle we would quit flying. I would always go a fly at lower altitude as well. Do not remember if it helped, but it seemed to make sense at the time. We stopped a contest because of it once.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Pond Skipper

EMF fields can span out quite far depending on the line voltage more so on large Transmition lines 33k and up two wires makes a perfect field of flow back to ye ol handle.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:15 PM
combatpigg

The other EL ZAPPAROO story I've been told was about helicopters hovering above a ship and building up a charge that killed whoever was first to handle a tether line on deck.
Pond Skipper, I'll bet you had the proper motivation to do your school work after that.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:59 PM
vertical grimmace

I know there had been some discussion about modifying the ASP .12 for speed. Well, it seems the .25 ASP is the engine of choice for speed limit combat. Just got a couple today. They work great. I ordered the ones with the remote needle, and mounted it to the mount lugs, parallel to the thrust line. Keeps it nice and flat in case of an inverted landing. The thing started first flip, and restarted perfectly. The needle handles bladder pressure fine. Just a little fuel tube added to prevent leaks around the needle. Will be running 9-4 or 9-5 props. Seems to be a direct copy of the .25 FX OS engine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02355.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2122386   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02354.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2122387  
Old 09-26-2015, 01:32 PM
vertical grimmace

Another match from KC. These guys were crazy! Fun to watch though.

https://www.facebook.com/cary.minor....7924569086122/
Old 09-26-2015, 02:57 PM
combatpigg

BATTLE ROYALE...!!!

I'm amazed that 3 guys could keep it going that long, and nobody got cut loose either.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:11 PM
vertical grimmace

As you can tell, we all had a lot of fun. I really need that after a few years of hanging around uptight RC guys! lol
Old 09-28-2015, 12:39 PM
combatpigg

CL Combat is great "training" for RC Aviation in general. I've never flown CL Speed, but I'm sure it's the same principle.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:34 PM
aspeed

Speed is a lot of rich running on the ground, and running out the tank, or falling off the dolly, and getting a shaft run..... It is worth it when you get a great run, and have trouble keeping up though.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 AM
vertical grimmace

So I bought a new tach the other day, and checked one of my new For a .049 engines. I had the smaller blue prop they sell. It is around 4.63" but I am not sure on the pitch. I am leaning toward 3 but it could be a 4, waiting on clarification as I do not have a pitch gauge. Well, the little ******* was spinning 36,000! Pretty good I think. More testing to come, but I like that number. Fastest engine I have ever had. (other than my Nelsons)
Old 10-01-2015, 12:41 PM
combatpigg

A laid out a 4 pitch prop to hand carve on a maple blank. The blank was 1/4" thick and 3/8" wide and I drew diagonal lines on the ends of the blank to establish the bottom of the airfoils. As close as I could tell, it was a 4 pitch. It ended up performing pretty good as a pusher on a speedy .049 project after scraping the blades so thin you could almost see light passing through them.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:39 PM
MJD

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
So I bought a new tach the other day, and checked one of my new For a .049 engines. I had the smaller blue prop they sell. It is around 4.63" but I am not sure on the pitch. I am leaning toward 3 but it could be a 4, waiting on clarification as I do not have a pitch gauge. Well, the little ******* was spinning 36,000! Pretty good I think. More testing to come, but I like that number. Fastest engine I have ever had. (other than my Nelsons)
Pitch is likely around 3". 4" would be for proto speed, likely less diameter than 4.63".
Old 10-01-2015, 05:57 PM
combatpigg

APC 5 x 3
.061 Cyclon
C/L Combat plane converted to RC... https://youtu.be/28na2nnbj9E?list=UUvajm0pYeG7PvspskjQLq9A

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.