Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Great Planes P-51 Sport Fighter vs Sig Kougar

Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM
JT Hammer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Great Planes P-51 Sport Fighter vs Sig Kougar

As you may have noticed in my earlier thread I was contemplating a Kougar build with the intentions of using the Evo .60 NX for power. Now that G. P.'s have come out with the 52" Sport Fighter, I am thinking this might be a better union for this engine. Any thoughts? Does anyone know if the wing is thinner on the Sport fighter? And the big question, do you feel it might be a bit quicker than the Kougar? Thx.....
Old 12-14-2015, 01:31 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The wing is pretty thick, no provision for retracts, either. That said, they fly great.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even Q-500 wings are fairly thick [I forget the minimum] but they have a fairly sharp leading edge that slopes back to the high point of the airfoil at a shallow angle.
If this P-51 wing compares favorably to what looks like a "fast" airfoil [as opposed to "blunt"] you should get impressive results with your Evo .60.
We have a forum member who got a .40 sized Patriot into the 160 mph range with a stock Rossi .53, [if that gives you something to compare to].
I can never bring myself to building the scale belly scoop on the P-51. I try to make the leading edge of it more streamlined.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:49 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quickie rules end up putting the wing at 10% thickness, minimum. That Sport P-51 is at least 15%.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:06 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Evo .60/Jett combo impressed me on a 7lb something Phoenix 7 ARF.. hauled the mail on an APC 10-7. I used a sport 9-10 on it on the the Demon this fall, and had a few good flights. Wish I had some data, but on the one prop I tried, it hauled quite well and impressed a few people. But, it was faster on the West .50 and SJ .50. Not fair and irrelevant without trying other props, and I think the Demon is not the best platform for the Evo .60 to shine. This warbird or sport jet type of airframe is what I suspect it will do well on. No doubt it is a ballsy engine.

FWIW on something like this I'd check it out on a 10-7 and 10-8, then go to 9" props in the 8"-10" pitch range and see what happens. You'll soon find out how much of a hindrance to speed the wing is esp. if it goes faster on 10" props.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just took a gander at the wing.... See that really sharp shadow line that runs through the center of the landing gear..?
A nice airfoil for speed will not show any abrupt edges like that along any part of the airfoil.
This airfoil will hit a wall at XXX mph but from the few reviews I've read it is still a pretty worthy model especially if you love Mustangs.
The "Bang For Your Buck" combo as far as I'm concerned is the House of Balsa .20 sized P-51 and power it with a hot .32.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P 51 Wing.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	2135874  

Last edited by combatpigg; 12-15-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:52 PM
GREG DOE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quickie 500 rules specify that the wing must have a minimum thickness of 1 3/16" for at least 47 1/2" of the span. Wings may have wingspans of up to 52", so wing cords can go down to about 9 5/8", and still fulfill the requirement for 500 sq. in. The wing thickness is slightly over the 10% mentioned, but still close enough for government work, as they used to say! Just remember to put your name and number somewhere on the air-frame where it can be viewed without the need for tools, because the model cops will be mechanically challenged!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:38 AM
pkcwv
My Feedback: (104)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it says sport "flight" , not sport "fighter" watts