Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

my flying delta

Old 01-06-2017, 03:35 AM
Skyluc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile my flying delta

two years ago I built a self drawn Delta that I called the Twister,I got the inspiration from the screaming demon for the structure, but the profile is totally different and also the size, because it's built around the engine, an os61 RF abc so the length is the length of the engine plus the tuned pipe, this year I installed a tachi from Jeti to check the speed, and here is the result

it's in Km/h,so nearly 200mph of course, it was on a dive, but leveled the speed is around 270km/h the prop is an APC 11x11 that I cut at 10x11,planning to test a 10x12
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1382-1.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	2195703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen001.gif
Views:	275
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	2195704  

Last edited by Skyluc; 01-06-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:59 PM
rabbid fly
My Feedback: (15)

Thumbs up

Hey Luc, very nice indeed. whats the span on your delta, you should take a video of a flight. I envy where you live, i lived in Colmar for 16 years.
Another thing i would like to ask is what tank did you use and what size. I bet that engine is thirsty! what is the duration of your flight. Looking forward to hear from you.
Phil

Last edited by rabbid fly; 01-08-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 AM
Skyluc

happy you enjoyed living in france,just that the climate in Colmar is much colder than where I live in south of France
the length is 77cm(30,1") including the spinner, and the wingspan is 1m(40"),if I remember correctly the tank is 300 cm3 (10oz),because I'm too lazy to unfit the covergiving me a flight time of about 7 to 8 min at full throttle, here is another pic of the building I could try to make a film with my go pro,but I am afraid that it wouldn't be very demonstrative
I called her Twister because she rolls very fast
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0289#1.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2196063  

Last edited by Skyluc; 01-09-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:54 PM
rabbid fly
My Feedback: (15)

How thick is your airfoil at the root? just wandering because on that last picture it look kind of thick compared to say a DD, what airfoil did you use? never the less great job Luc, i like it!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyluc
two years ago I built a self drawn Delta that I called the Twister,I got the inspiration from the screaming demon for the structure, but the profile is totally different and also the size, because it's built around the engine, an os61 RF abc so the length is the length of the engine plus the tuned pipe, this year I installed a tachi from Jeti to check the speed, and here is the result

it's in Km/h,so nearly 200mph of course, it was on a dive, but leveled the speed is around 270km/h the prop is an APC 11x11 that I cut at 10x11,planning to test a 10x12
Skyluc - I like it! Nicely done.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Skyluc

deleted

Last edited by Skyluc; 01-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Skyluc

Originally Posted by rabbid fly
How thick is your airfoil at the root? just wandering because on that last picture it look kind of thick compared to say a DD, what airfoil did you use? never the less great job Luc, i like it!
the profile is a 9% ,when I began the project,I needed a profile with a Cm0 equal to 0 at an angle of attack of 0° ,and of course a very low drag with good flying caracteristics.
as I wanted to put winglets I also needed some area and some strength at the wingtips to glue the fins, so I compared some profiles with XFOIL and I chose this one that suited my needs, and anyway I had very low gain even none with thinner profiles and I couldn't have all the caracteristics I needed
maybe you find it thicker because the chord is greater than the DD or the SD
Old 01-12-2017, 08:27 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Skyluc,

I like your .60 delta. I drew up plans for a new Demon in 10cc size, and funny enough.. the wing span is 40" same as yours. The area is almost 25% more, it seems like a good size.

I have yet to build the kit prototype, might do so this winter. How are your launches?

One of the flaws in the original Screamin Demon design was locating the forward spar at the CG, limiting the tank size. I have a MkII version designed and in prototyping that has a lot more room for the fuel tank and allows it to move back over the CG a bit.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Skyluc

Originally Posted by MJD
Hi Skyluc,

I like your .60 delta. I drew up plans for a new Demon in 10cc size, and funny enough.. the wing span is 40" same as yours. The area is almost 25% more, it seems like a good size.

I have yet to build the kit prototype, might do so this winter. How are your launches?

One of the flaws in the original Screamin Demon design was locating the forward spar at the CG, limiting the tank size. I have a MkII version designed and in prototyping that has a lot more room for the fuel tank and allows it to move back over the CG a bit.

Cheers,

Mike
yes the size is good, because she is great enough to be viewable, much more than a 40 size, and the launches are very easy, because the traction of the engine is almost twice the weight of the wing