Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

new plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 04:44 AM
WRXlovr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new plane

Should i get another dd or a new whip? Do they fly differenly or something? Is it worth the extra 100 bux? pretty much why or why not for either one
Old 07-07-2003, 05:44 PM
WRXlovr

Default new plane

ok how about this, whats so good about whiplashes
Old 07-07-2003, 06:09 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default new plane

I've had both, crashed both, and bought another of each.

The Dust is light, so it will fly on a smaller engine. It's inexpensive, easy to build, takes less demanding radio gear. It's a great little throw it in the car and toss plane that won't take a lot of $$$ to get in the air. Cheap speed fix.

The Whip is heavier, but more durable (you won't poke a hole in it if you hit a weed on landing). It is an ARF, so it's real easy to assemble. My first ARF in 20 years. Takes some pretty good radio gear, better and better the faster you go.. You can tie up some serious $$$ pretty quick. A couple of 8411's, good servo horns/linkages, a throttle servo, RX, good battery and the plane and you are looking $500 without an engine. Talking about the gray primer $169 special Whip X on the banner ad above. Not so cheap speed fix, but then you could put a 46FX on it and some cheaper servos...in which case you'd be better off with a Dust IMHO.

My Whip was way more powerful than my Dust, so a direct comparison is hard, but I liked the way the Whip presented itself in the air. The Dust was a cool little plane that would turn heads, the Whip was a monster that sent people diving for cover (I mean this in a figurative way for those of you who are not accustomed to exageration or hyperbole...I never sent anyone diving for cover).
Old 07-07-2003, 06:38 PM
WRXlovr

Default new plane

i have a dd but i just wanted to know what else is better about the whip that would justify the price.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:38 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default My 2 cents

In my Humble opinion : ) The whiplash has the following advantages.
It goes together in about 2-3 hours not counting paint, depending on what your time's worth, depends on how you estimate that value.. The DD from what I understand is a 20 hour build.. x minimum of $5.00 per hour = $100.00..

It is brutally strong, it can take literally 10 times or more the beating a dust can.. I've seen the whip cartwheel down the runway and at worst break a prop.. you simply change the prop and go fly.

The new X version does not require the 100+ ounce inch servos as before, an inexpensive 70 ounce servo would do fine.

The whiplash has all the hardware included, even the tank, horns and pushrods. all you add are the servos, engine, reciever and some epoxy..

It is a true airfoil design as opposed to the DD which has a flat surface with a little airfoil in the center.. The whiplash has anhedryl built in which makes it inherantly stable, especially on level flight, its like its on rails.

Kevlar reinforced underbelly, you can land anywhere and at worst scratch the paint.

The whiplash has a launcher, but also has a reinforced rear center section that makes it easy to hold when launching the plane, not so on the DD, the DDs control surfaces are split right down the middle of the rear of the plane, hence you must launch using the leading edges of the plane. not always an easy thing to do.. you can easily poke a hole in the skin if launching by yourself if you arent careful.

The whiplash engine mount can be wittled away to accomodate a big variety of engines.

The whiplash is in primer ready to paint, the DD kit is around $70.00 I think but you still have to buy covering.. whats that? another $20.00???

And I can go on and on, so judge for yourself, is all of whats listed worth an extra $80.00? if you do the math, after its all said and done, the DD costs in some cases costs more than the whiplash after you buy the extra stuff that doesnt come with the DD kit..

Do the math and see for yourself... I think you'll agree, the whiplash X is a better bargain especially at the current price...

Thats my opinion, but of course, I'm biased..
Old 07-08-2003, 01:49 AM
WRXlovr

Default new plane

well ive decided to get both since money is not really an issue
but about the dd taking 20 hours to build i can completly built one in about 5 thats prolly because ive gone through so many
Old 07-08-2003, 01:51 AM
ChuckAuger

Default new plane

I will ad..

I waited a few months until I got a bargain on a Dust kit before I bought another..

I crashed my Whip on Friday night and ordered another on Sunday..

So That's that.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:53 AM
BAGOSTIX

Default good call

They are both exceptional airplanes, each with their own advantages, buying both gives you the best of both worlds, enjoy them they're loads of fun.. nuff said
Old 09-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: new plane

New life on this Whip-X thread?

I have been reading, and reading and reading Whip posts....So much so that I am drunk with knowledge about the plane (translate= really confused about some stuff-)

I am going to have to start with my Rossi-45, or OS-50FSR Heli motor on my new PRIMERED WHip-X... But I am desperately attempting to find a K&F 7.5

I don't wanna half ***** on the servos but, those digitals are kinda pricey for a government cheese eating guy like me -

Hitec 605's had centering problems right?

If y'all had $80 bucks for a couple whip servos what would you get? Also, is the slot for the throttle servo sized for a mini? If so, any suggestions on that? I have NEVER had a mini/micro/nano etc.

Drunk with knowledge? obviously not-

Mr Auger: I ordered some cheapo bearings from Boca for the Rossi-

Thanks for reading folks!
james
Old 09-23-2003, 08:29 AM
ChuckAuger

The throttle servo hole isn't cut out, so you can put whatever size servo you want in there. The Hitec HS 81 or HS 85 would be OK for throttle...I had an 81 on the first Whip, and have a pair of 81's for throttle and mixture on the second one.

As for the other servos...the elevons (even on my second, which is a Whip X) are so stiff that you need some hoss stud servos just to move them on the bench. Why not wait until you get the plane and see how stiff yours are. If it wasn't for the elevon hinge stiffness, you could get by with a pair of 9202's IMHO.

The buddy who had the K&B 7.5 DF engines sold all his stuff to a fellow in NM.

Are you going to have the bearings drop shipped to me, or mail them out yourself..I'd be more than happy to put them in while it is apart.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:48 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Thanks for the info.

I didn't think of sending you more work... I'll put them in when I get the engine back- (I am just happy to get all the good advice from ya')

I was looking at the 9202's- I read that the elevons were supposed to be "less stiff" on the X

And thanks for asking about the K&B- I will keep my eyes peeled...

Lata,
james
Old 09-25-2003, 07:14 PM
BAGOSTIX

send me an e mail, I have a 7.5 hangin around, [email protected]