Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

who modifies glow engines professionally ??

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

who modifies glow engines professionally ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:34 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by MJD
At least the rpm claims aren't about a Rossi engine, that's a refreshing change. I do tend to forget that 25-30 year old Rossi sport engines still turn 2-3000 rpm faster than any modern high performance sport engine..

Well, Rossi did make a fine engine and Novarossi (Cesare Rossi) currently makes fine engines. The modified Novarossi engines will run hard. I love mine. I love my SuperTigres too though.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:33 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Well, Rossi did make a fine engine and Novarossi (Cesare Rossi) currently makes fine engines. The modified Novarossi engines will run hard. I love mine. I love my SuperTigres too though.
Of course - they were and are fine engines, there's no question about that. My point refers more to the stream of ludicrous claims that have surfaced here over the years, with a high percentage being of a similar predictable form.. `yeah, my buddy had a [insert adjective: modified/custom/racing/hopped up] Rossi .45 that turned a [insert grossly exaggerated claims that are obvious BS and that annoy and insult the people that have a point to make, and instantly brand the poster as someone who has nothing useful to contribute].

The last one of these I saw made a claim that would have meant a .60 was generating over 20 horsepower. Adding the statement that the engine had antimatter injection would not have changed anyone's impression of the sanity of the poster, once you get to "uh-oh another looney" that's about all you need right there.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:51 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by MJD
Of course - they were and are fine engines, there's no question about that. My point refers more to the stream of ludicrous claims that have surfaced here over the years, with a high percentage being of a similar predictable form.. `yeah, my buddy had a [insert adjective: modified/custom/racing/hopped up] Rossi .45 that turned a [insert grossly exaggerated claims that are obvious BS and that annoy and insult the people that have a point to make, and instantly brand the poster as someone who has nothing useful to contribute].

The last one of these I saw made a claim that would have meant a .60 was generating over 20 horsepower. Adding the statement that the engine had antimatter injection would not have changed anyone's impression of the sanity of the poster, once you get to "uh-oh another looney" that's about all you need right there.
LoL. There is that too..

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-16-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:50 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I need to make some engine run videos tomorrow lol I have learned a lot from a guy at my local field. He will go thru 20-30 engines a week. What him and I have discovered is almost all engines of a size have the potential to turn the same numbers as any other same sized engine.
Shawn one reason the ST 45 does so well is the exhaust port size in the case. It perfectly matches the Jett mufflers, as most other engines have very wide exhaust ports to better match stock mufflers.

To the OP go ahead and work on that old engine or have someone mess with it. Its all fun in trying new stuff and seeing what happens.
As far as buying a Jett engine yes they are very good engines and will last a very long time if ran correctly but some of the Jett engines are not very strong. His two best sport engines are the 35LX and the 56/60LX.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Airraptor - do you use the thin flat spraybar or round spraybar in your modified ST .45? Mine isn't modified internally, but I did pick up 800rpm with swapping a thin spraybar from an S90. I was getting 16,700 on a 10x6APC with Red Jett muffler. I have no doubt it could pickup another 500-1000rpm with internal modification and a shorter exhaust system.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 AM
MJD

Originally Posted by airraptor
I guess I need to make some engine run videos tomorrow lol I have learned a lot from a guy at my local field. He will go thru 20-30 engines a week. What him and I have discovered is almost all engines of a size have the potential to turn the same numbers as any other same sized engine.
Makes sense I guess.. once you start matching the timing, porting, etc, in the end you are left with the displacement. "Ain't no substitute for cubes", a phrase prone to misinterpretation - but with all else being equal and given free reign on the design, that's how it is.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really they are just an air pump, but the port timing, head size/shape etc all being the same will be about equal. The difference is the quality of the materials, and if the rod will break or the crank is too soft or brittle, or too thin for the revs, if the plating will take the heat.... Some designs are just so old that they will just not keep up like from the early 1970s. When they all went to schnuerle ports things were looking up. There was a lot of engineering and testing going on then. They all copied Rossi instead of OS. Very little development has happened since then except maybe in the FAI events and serious competition. Now the competition seems to be how to get a basic motor down to a price. Really it is quite good now with the CNC machining.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 PM
airraptor

Sorry didn't get to run any engines today, life got in the way.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:25 PM
the Wasp

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

for sport, just buy a Heli engine , say an OS Hyper 50, buy a long spinner nut and cut it short, with the right prop and pipe it should turn 17, 18 grand.

I'm going to put one in a Worlds Model P-40, but I have a GMS 46 muffler to try (it's big like a Jett muffler) and will fit in the Cowl

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-18-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: why not, it's the thing to do these days
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 PM
MJD

Sorry didn't get to run any engines today, life got in the way.
Thanks to daylight savings time finally… I booted home, broke free to the workshop and finished getting the Profi 15 ready to bench run. I just did a little short run on the deck, and it was mind blowing. The sound when it cleaned up and jumped over 37k was eerie, loved it. Only thing I've run close to that is the Profi .061 combat. Didn't scare me that time.. l

I'll get some inspirational video soon.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 PM
airraptor

Yes on the ST carbs the spray bar is thinned out. have to go very slow with that or can go to thin and break thru it.
I have a profi .21 I need to get a pipe for and run one day also
Old 04-19-2017, 06:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yes on the ST carbs the spray bar is thinned out. have to go very slow with that or can go to thin and break thru it.
I have a profi .21 I need to get a pipe for and run one day also
Thats what I thought. The ST .45 is a barn burner bone stock except for the thin spraybar. I used the S90 spraybar for a template and ground the .45 spraybar down. I used a dremel to rough it in and then used diamond coated files to smooth it out. I have a spare NIB .45 and a spare piston/liner/rod that has virtually no time on it, so I'll see what more can be gained from it. I don't have a use for a 9x8, but a 10x6 I do, so that's the prop I'll tune the engine to. I may need to get my hands on a gold Jett muffler - I think the black one is going to be too short for my uses.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:07 PM
airraptor

QWK year the gold should work well with the 10x6 and anything over 17,500 will be good i would think. I dont have by quickie black muffler anymore crash killed it lol. It is nice out so I will see if I can get some runs in here before class this afternoon
Also I have seen the ST 45 have three or four different configurations on porting. Why I am not sure. The china made ones seem to have the lowest transfers
Old 04-19-2017, 02:16 PM
airraptor

Trying to get a video uploaded to youtube. This was the first engine I pulled out of the box. Almost a steady 18,000 although did peak at it. Prop, fuel and air have a lot to do with things. ran a steady 17,850-17,900. When I edit the post here I can see the link but it doesnt show on the forums?

Last edited by airraptor; 04-19-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM
airraptor

Default St 45

Last edited by airraptor; 04-19-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: video link
Old 04-19-2017, 02:19 PM
airraptor

Ok I post a link to my facebook where I put one the video first
Old 04-19-2017, 04:23 PM
airraptor

Old 04-19-2017, 06:17 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Hmmm may have to see what you can do with this. Well, looks like the new RCU won't accept the default picture size of my IPad. On Saturday Impicked up a ST .40 with a black Jett muffler. Guess we will see what it does.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 04-19-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 PM
MJD

Not exactly the same engine, but I need to get my old Bluehead X.45 on the stand and get it broken in, then set up on a quiet pipe. The small amount I ran it I recall it having some muscle at least compared to whatever I was used to prior, but I recall no numbers. It still needs bench time. IIRC my next engine was the Picco .40 SE.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ABC engines will see more benefit because of superior piston sealing and easier to modifying general due to the brass being easy to cut. Steel liners are a pain to modify - not for the faint of heart - plus ringed engines don't care to rev to the moon either... Ring flutter is a bummer.

I've been doing all of my liner work with diamond files. In a lot of cases, just removing the chrome fade makes a very noticeable difference.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-21-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:18 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always thought the lapped steel P/C sealed good, but the ABC type protected itself better from lean runs by getting looser. A lot of the steel pistons were quite heavy and would shake the plane which would also slow things down inside the motor. I never felt good about cutting into the plating, especially the nickel. A common old mod was to just radius the bottom lip of the ports so the piston would not hang up that little bit. It would also raise the exh. or bypass a tiny amount, but the real gain was not from that IMHO.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:41 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by aspeed
I always thought the lapped steel P/C sealed good, but the ABC type protected itself better from lean runs by getting looser. A lot of the steel pistons were quite heavy and would shake the plane which would also slow things down inside the motor. I never felt good about cutting into the plating, especially the nickel. A common old mod was to just radius the bottom lip of the ports so the piston would not hang up that little bit. It would also raise the exh. or bypass a tiny amount, but the real gain was not from that IMHO.
If you want the engine to make more power, most of that will come from working the crankshaft. Opening the bore of the crank and altering the opening and closing points will help it breathe better and make more power as well as opening the bore of the carburetor. Changing the timing of the cylinder ports will maybe add a little power but more specifically will alter the power band of the engine. As I've learned, one has to adjust the whole engine to see real gains in power and power band. Doing the crank alone will help, but altering the induction and exhaust timing will make it more of a "package deal". I've modified a few car engines so far and I made modifications to almost everything. The only thing I don't have the ability to adjust is the cylinder head/head button.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-21-2017 at 07:44 AM.