Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

who modifies glow engines professionally ??

Reply

Old 04-08-2017, 10:10 AM
  #1  
the Wasp
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 3,515
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default who modifies glow engines professionally ??


can anyone tell me who modifies 2St glow engines professionally ??

I have an HB 61 PDP that I would like hopped up a bit.

a link would be very helpful,

thanks guys !!

Jim
the Wasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:23 PM
  #2  
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)
 
scoeroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Home PA
Posts: 561
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

PM me
I have done many HB 40 engines as well as Rossi pylon engines
scoeroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 AM
  #3  
boater
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sacramento,, CA
Posts: 126
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Most would consider Jett engines better or equal to any modified engine, --- and easy to buy.
boater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM
  #4  
the Wasp
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 3,515
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by boater View Post
Most would consider Jett engines better or equal to any modified engine, --- and easy to buy.


Boater, I don't see your point !!

"Most would consider"

wow, I did not know that


Jim
the Wasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:28 AM
  #5  
the Wasp
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 3,515
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by scoeroo View Post
PM me
I have done many HB 40 engines as well as Rossi pylon engines
give me a few days, I will PM you

Jim
the Wasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 PM
  #6  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,713
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I've modified some car engines. It's a time consuming process. The $120 price tag the professionals charge seems like an injustice considering the time it takes to do an engine.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:52 PM
  #7  
boater
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sacramento,, CA
Posts: 126
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The point is, why modify an older engine setup with muffler timing, when you can easily buy engines designed to use a tuned pipe (and their recommended tuned pipe). OSMAX 65VFDF go for a song on ebay or RCGroups.

Last edited by boater; 04-13-2017 at 12:54 PM.
boater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:30 PM
  #8  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,713
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Not everyone wants to spend $250+ for a high performance engine - especially if they already have a pile of engines. A couple hours with some hand files and a little finesse and you can have a low rpm slugger churning some decent rpm. I know a guy getting over 18,000+ on a 9x8 APC from an Italian Super Tigre .45 that was hand modified. Modifying buggy/RC truck engines is very common. It's amazing what just a little work on the crank can get you! At least 50% of the power boost-ability is in modifying the crankshaft alone.



Oh, and on the comment about the OS fan engine - their horrible liners peel if you don't handle them with the utmost of care. Not a good benchmark for "performance" or "quality".

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-13-2017 at 04:33 PM.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:35 PM
  #9  
the Wasp
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 3,515
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Boater, because if I did that it wouldn't be a hopped up HB PDP,, besides, I am not looking to produce a Maximum Effort racing engine.

look at it this way, if you saw an old car with an old hopped up Ford V8 Flat Head or an old Pontiac Straight 8 would you tell the own that he should have bought a Chevy Crate Engine

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.
the Wasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:34 PM
  #10  
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 233
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Try Clarence Lee. He did a great job on my K&B 61.
kdunlap is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:51 PM
  #11  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,713
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by kdunlap View Post
Try Clarence Lee. He did a great job on my K&B 61.

He will only work on K&B engines I believe.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM
  #12  
the Wasp
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 3,515
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default



http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/lee.htm

Last edited by the Wasp; 04-13-2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: oops, I made a booboo so I removed it, cause it was the thing to do, so I do'ed it
the Wasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 PM
  #13  
GREG DOE
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: , TN
Posts: 679
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Clarence has an add in the April,2017 Model Aviation.
GREG DOE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:31 PM
  #14  
the Wasp
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 3,515
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

thank you, I will edit my post

Jim
the Wasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:06 PM
  #15  
boater
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sacramento,, CA
Posts: 126
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

A Perry pump and Perry Pump Carb would be an easy bolt-on addition. Clarence Lee may even be able to supply. HB61 was very much like the Veco 61. A backplate mounted Veco 61 pump may even fit a HB 61.
boater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:40 PM
  #16  
boater
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sacramento,, CA
Posts: 126
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

[QUOTE=1QwkSport2.5r;12326349. I know a guy getting over 18,000+ on a 9x8 APC from an Italian Super Tigre .45 that was hand modified.



Oh, and on the comment about the OS fan engine - their horrible liners peel if you don't handle them with the utmost of care. Not a good benchmark for "performance" or "quality".[/QUOTE]

I got over 19,000 on the ground with a K&B 40S stock engine, Revup 9x8&1/2. Many ducted fan guys get excellent performance from OS ABN sleeves, I never had a OS 65VRM sleeve peel and I ran 60%. There is one guy selling OS 90 VRDF's used 3 for $325.00 on RCGroups .

PS The K&B 40S wasn't stock, it had the head modified to take a 1S plug, instead of the 1L plug. LOL
boater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:10 PM
  #17  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,713
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Gullible is written on the ceiling for some.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:13 PM
  #18  
the Wasp
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: VT
Posts: 3,515
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by boater View Post
I got over 19,000 on the ground with a K&B 40S stock engine,

PS The K&B 40S wasn't stock, it had the head modified to take a 1S plug, instead of the 1L plug. LOL
why didn't you just buy a Jett engine it would have been easier

Jim
the Wasp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:04 AM
  #19  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,713
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Sometimes doing your own modifications is more fun. It's fun to take a $50 engine and make it really run hard with some mods. This is coming from someone that HAS some Jett engines. In fact the two Jetts I have cost me nearly $1000 together. Not everyone wants to spend that kind of money - and really - if you have the right base engine to start with, there is good power to be had from modifying it. It's VERY common with RC car engines. Guys buy $200 engines, spend another $120 to get it modified, and the results are equal to or better than the $500-600 stock race engines. Often they're better.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:01 AM
  #20  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,727
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Not everyone wants to spend $250+ for a high performance engine - especially if they already have a pile of engines. A couple hours with some hand files and a little finesse and you can have a low rpm slugger churning some decent rpm. I know a guy getting over 18,000+ on a 9x8 APC from an Italian Super Tigre .45 that was hand modified. Modifying buggy/RC truck engines is very common. It's amazing what just a little work on the crank can get you! At least 50% of the power boost-ability is in modifying the crankshaft alone.



Oh, and on the comment about the OS fan engine - their horrible liners peel if you don't handle them with the utmost of care. Not a good benchmark for "performance" or "quality".

I think the point being made here here is that there just is not much potential in that HB engine. You just can't get too crazy on opening the ports on a ringed engine without the ring getting caught on the port edge. A good reason why virtually all high performance engines are ABC, ABN or AAC.


Im not quite at the point of calling anyone a liar but a ST .45 spinning an APC 9x8 at 18K is simply not possible no matter what you do to it. I have to call BS on that claim. I used a Rossi .45 that not only had the factory VP mods done to it which mainly consisted of opening the ID of the crank, then fluting the passage out the back of the crank and then shot peeled, but I did some streamlining of the ports and opened up the exhaust port to 180 degrees and ran a Jett tuned muffler and 20% nitro. It spun an APC 9x7.5 at 17,200 on a good day.

Not saying it is not fun to mod up your own engines, just don't expect the same performance from a modded sport engine then what you would get from an engine that was designed from the ground up for high performance. That Pontiac Overhead cam straight 6 was an awesome engine but could only be taken so far and then reliability issues came up. Mickey Thompson showed us that.
speedracerntrixie is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:20 AM
  #21  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,713
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
I think the point being made here here is that there just is not much potential in that HB engine. You just can't get too crazy on opening the ports on a ringed engine without the ring getting caught on the port edge. A good reason why virtually all high performance engines are ABC, ABN or AAC.


Im not quite at the point of calling anyone a liar but a ST .45 spinning an APC 9x8 at 18K is simply not possible no matter what you do to it. I have to call BS on that claim. I used a Rossi .45 that not only had the factory VP mods done to it which mainly consisted of opening the ID of the crank, then fluting the passage out the back of the crank and then shot peeled, but I did some streamlining of the ports and opened up the exhaust port to 180 degrees and ran a Jett tuned muffler and 20% nitro. It spun an APC 9x7.5 at 17,200 on a good day.

Not saying it is not fun to mod up your own engines, just don't expect the same performance from a modded sport engine then what you would get from an engine that was designed from the ground up for high performance. That Pontiac Overhead cam straight 6 was an awesome engine but could only be taken so far and then reliability issues came up. Mickey Thompson showed us that.
A cross scavenged PDP engine will never perform as good as a well setup Schnürle ported engine, but there's no reason to junk it.

As far as the ST .45 claim - I haven't seen it run in person, but maybe you could. Talk to Jeff - airraptor. I think he lives near you? It's his engine. He runs a black Q40 Jett muffler on it.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:35 AM
  #22  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,713
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here Shawn... supertiger 45 Black jett muffler

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-16-2017 at 07:37 AM.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:04 AM
  #23  
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)
 
speedracerntrixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,727
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I know Jeff very well and fly with him fairly often. As far as the claim on the ST I would call him on it as well. However that claim was made 5 years ago and I beleive he has learned a bit since then. Just for giggles, here is the last time we raced, I'm sure you will be able to find both our names.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3029.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	2210062  
speedracerntrixie is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:31 AM
  #24  
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 9,713
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Never mind. I am not getting involved in another one of these "discussions".

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 04-16-2017 at 09:47 AM.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:39 PM
  #25  
MJD
My Feedback: (1)
 
MJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orangeville, ON, CANADA
Posts: 8,629
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Gullible is written on the ceiling for some.
At least the rpm claims aren't about a Rossi engine, that's a refreshing change. I do tend to forget that 25-30 year old Rossi sport engines still turn 2-3000 rpm faster than any modern high performance sport engine..
MJD is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service