Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Identify YS motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:48 PM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Identify YS motor

I picked up a old Sig Mustang 450 and it had this motor with a tuned pipe. The side says YS 45 FS the other side says Made In Japan. The carb is really weird in that you can not see a rotating barrel. The 2 nipples went to the fuel tank, I think and I have no idea what that screw is on the bottom. Any info would help and any guess as to the value would also be appreciated. The piston and sleeve look like it was run very little if at all.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00847.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	713.2 KB
ID:	2225173   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00848.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	2225174   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00849.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	633.8 KB
ID:	2225175   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00850.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	640.9 KB
ID:	2225176  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:37 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Front nipple is for the fuel intake to the carb the back nipple is to pressurize the fuel tank it is a loop feed puts 5 to 6 lbs. of pressure into the tank allows you to possition the tank as needed with no issues of feed this system allows a larger bored carb for more power you have a goooood engine there.

here is the review and specs

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...s/YS-45FS.html

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 07-23-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The same information was posted in at least 3 or 4 other threads between at least two forums.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skylane42
I picked up a old Sig Mustang 450 and it had this motor with a tuned pipe. The side says YS 45 FS the other side says Made In Japan. The carb is really weird in that you can not see a rotating barrel. The 2 nipples went to the fuel tank, I think and I have no idea what that screw is on the bottom. Any info would help and any guess as to the value would also be appreciated. The piston and sleeve look like it was run very little if at all.

Thanks
I didn't see a lot of comments on this engine. So -- I will provide a little bit and maybe you will find it useful.
1st This is a winner - treat them right and they will last, provide plenty of power and do some things that no other engine will do.
next. The carb is unique to this.45 and it's big brother the .60 . The rotating barrel has been replaced by a flat automotive type plate. This carb very finely meters fuel under high pressure providing consistent supply to the engine. Virtually any attitude or rotation cannot interrupt the supply of fuel to the engine.
next The two nipples are part of the most reliable fuel delivery system in the hobby. One nipple is for the fuel supply the other is for pressure to the fuel tank. the pressure line must have a check valve in line to prevent backflow and provide the needed pressure CAUTION HERE: the pressure can become quite high balooning tanks out and have been known to push out fuselage sides. To prevent this some modelers have used fiberglass reinforced packing tape around the tank to strengthen it.
Next.... Throttle response is immediate and unmatched in the hobby. I accidentally caught the throttle with my jacket sleeve one time and before I could do anything the plane leaped forward and the prop caught my jeans and climbed straight up my pant leg leaving 5 deep slices in my thigh. Emergency room time for sure (39 stitches in each cut) .
The engine is supplied without a muffler and they are hard to find. A Rossi muffler fits too but most guys (like me) use a tuned pipe.
Good Luck
Old 10-16-2017, 07:48 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two or three of these engines. With the stock YS muffler they turn a APC10x7 prop at 14,000 or so on 15%. You can run 30% pretty easily. If you make an adapter you can run a Jett Muffler and should be good for another 1500-2000. Great engines that last a long time.