Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston Magnum v's Stingray (turbine)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum v's Stingray (turbine)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Minch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston Magnum v's Stingray (turbine)

We had a small show last weekend and a challenge was issued to see if a Magnum could outrun a Stingray powered by a 12lb thrust turbine, not quite was the answer but it was dam close.
Each was measured over the same distance which was approx 700m, the turbine had been previously been clocked at 230mph plus. When we measured them the turbine covered the distance in 3.1 secs and the magnum took 3.4 secs which gave the magnum a speed of 210mph+. This was no ordinary magnum, it had been moded, it had a 10 oz fuel tank which it ran dry in 2.5 mins.

This was a seriously quick aircraft, without doubt the fastest prop aircraft I have seen
Old 08-02-2003, 10:47 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

what was modified on the plane?
Old 08-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah... 3.4 seconds on 700 meters... that is seriously WOW...

What engine was there on that thing?

And how the hell do you fly 700 meters straight without loosing sight of the Magnum? 350 m to the left + 350 m to the right + the distance needed to line up for the run + the distance to turn around and head back... that should make almost a 1000 meter run...
OTOH... maybe we all fly further away than we are thinking... it's hard to tell just like that...

And now that you mention it... tomorrow I'm going to try to get some people to post in the fields surrounding our patch just to see how far out I really get...

Wait a second...something is not right here... 700 m in 3.4 sec equals 205.88 m/s... that is roughly 460.5 mph! The other plane at 3.1 sec was doing 505 mph if what you say is correct...
Now that's fast...

And 700 ft... That can't be right either, because the Magnum would only have been doing 140 mph then, and the other one 153.5 mph...
Old 08-03-2003, 02:20 AM
strong

Wish I could have seen that so I could get some kind of idea how fast mine is traveling.I have no way to measure speed but the reaction I get from others is that thing is super fast.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:01 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

i saw the Stingray at Woodsprings, as you said 230, and it looked it, not like the claimed 200 Magnums, esp not the ones at Woody zzzzz
my mate liked it so much he almost made a mess in his pants when it went past then swore hes getting one to replace the Harpoon lol
Old 10-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Minch

Default RE: Weston Magnum v's Stingray (turbine)

Apologies for getting the maths wrong with calculating the speeds of the Stingray and the magnum but we had no official timing equipment there but we knew that the Stingray had been official timed at 232 mph and had indeed gone faster so we used the 232 mph as a bench mark. The Stingray took 3.1s to cover A to B and the Magnum took 3.4 secs.

Since average speed is distance/time then the distance was approx 1000ft, don't know how I got 700m in my previous post I put it down to the excitement!!!!

Info on how the magnum was moded, shortened pipe but don't know by how much, engine striped and polished internally other mods had obviously been done but these were a closley guarded secret.

Minch
Old 10-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Cactus.

PS, Weston have said theres more yet in the West50 V1, but it's built for a good speed and long life, it can be taken to the limit yet....
Old 10-05-2003, 04:15 PM
RampRat

I guess this is one of those things one has to see too believe...
Old 10-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Cactus.

what was that guy extra300 looking for? 235??? and that was a much modded Magnum with highly expensive props

the current UK record isn't that high, maybe your polished Maggers should give it a go
Old 10-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minch , do u have any vid ? This may be scaring !
Old 10-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm quite sure there is more to be had from an engine like the West. But the very good failure rate these engines have would be a lot worse if they pushed it any further I think...

I have ordered a new piston and liner set for my engine... the current one has got a nice scratch running all the way from top to bottom, the result of a broke plug wire getting caught in one of the transfer ports...
When I put the new set in I will shim the sleeve up 0.3mm instead of the head just to see how the engine reacts to that...

The next thing failing will probably be my thinned down, profiled conrod... (repairs will probably be more expensive when that happens...lol)

To Strykaas:
I don't wear safety goggles when running my engines because I feel safe around them. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my hobby if I weren't. I do pay attention to stay clear of the propeller disc though...
I don't wear protection gloves because I don't get caught in props with my bare fingers, because I can feel what I'm doing with my bare fingers... I tried a leather glove, but I ended up getting bitten by the prop because I lost my feel on things... ironic really...
Old 10-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Please follow with any details to the "new Magnum" if anyone hears anything-

Especially you folks acroos the pond there- (Cheers! by the way-)

Patriot W/Jett-50 **CHECK**
Whiplash W/YS-45 **CHECK**
Magnum W/West-50 **Uhh I need one**

I was hard core going to buy one from the last run until I was offered a smokin deal on somethin' else

Keep us all posted!
james