Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Rossi .53

Old 10-09-2003, 07:07 AM
antslake
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rossi .53

Well I just put this motor on my Magic to break it in. What a difference a motor can make! I was using a .45 super tigre heli engine, and it took little more than 3/4 to hover and the vertical was slow. Now it shoots up to 500 feet in like 5 sec. or less. Looks kind of like a slow rocket.
Although I love this engine in this plane, I feel as though I am not doing it justice. I want to build a speed plane. I am not interested in competing, just want to fly fast.
I like the planes that look like jets but I have a hard time getting past the fact of a prop engine in a jet plane. I am open to suggestions on which plane to buy/build.
I came to you guys in here, because you all have the experience and could save my the agony of trying to figure out which plane to buy. I would like to go over 100 mph at least. I could use suggestions on plane and prop for this motor. I use a grass runway.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Rossi .53

Patriot > .
Old 10-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had one in a Kangke F-20. On our grass runway it was flying in 30ft and was exclerating through a verticle climb rapidly.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:54 PM
ewspears
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

antslake,
If your eyesight, hand/eye coordination, and eyesight are all top notch, I would go with a Whiplash or Diamond Dust. Use a 9X8 prop. and a straight tuned pipe. That Rossi 53 can be tuned to pull as hard as a Jett 50 and there are lots of guys flying Whips & DD's on Jett 50's. They should be able to describe flying characteristics.

HAVE FUN!
Old 10-09-2003, 06:27 PM
JIMBO D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HOW ABOUT A MAGNUM?
I'VE GOT ONE WITH A ROSSI 53 ON IT AND IT REALLY SHIFTS.I USE AN APC 9 X 9 AND A BAFFLED FULL PIPE SET TO GIVE 16000 RPM ON THE GROUND. WITH THIS SETUP THE PLANE IS REAL EASY TO HAND LAUNCH AND IS REALLY QUICK.THE PIPE IS A TRIPLE BAFFLED FLAT DISC PIPE (REALLY QUIET BUT STILL GIVES A GOOD POWER BOOST WHEN SET UP). I CHOSE THIS PROP TO KEEP THE ENGINE TO ABOUT 18000 ONCE UNLOADED IN FLIGHT. DONT NOW IF THIS IS ABOUT RIGHT THOUGH, ESTEN WOULD TELL YOU AS HE IS INTO GETTING THE MOST FROM ROSSI'S FROM WHAT I CAN TELL.
BY THE WAY, I ADDED 1 3/4 INCHES TO THE PIPE LENGTH AND IT TURNED A 13 X 4 APC AT 13400 RPM! VERSATILE OR WHAT![8D]
Old 10-09-2003, 06:33 PM
JIMBO D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OH AND BY THE WAY. I KNOW THE MAGNUMS A JET TYPE PLANE BUT THEY REALLY LOOK GOOD IN THE AIR AND ARE INCREDIBLY STABLE. JUST WHAT YOU NEED AT THESE SORT OF SPEEDS!
Old 10-09-2003, 09:43 PM
antslake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These are all great suggestions. Thanks, keep em coming. I like the looks of the patriot. I think I would build one with retracts.
I am still waiting for my tach. Otherwise I would tell you what the rossi is turning on my magic right now. I am using a 12.25x3.75 prop for 3-D type stuff. Sure does scream. I try not to unload it too much until I find out exactly what its turning.
I do think that this prop, although has a low pitch, turns much less rpm's than a 10x6. Plus the shape of the magic, doesn't lend itself to high speeds.
Next time out, I will video it for kicks and show you guys.
We could analize the sound and calculate the speed.
It sure does take off.

Wait wait, I just saw the magnum. Isn't that the plane that they claim will do 200mph? I like the looks of it too. Not to crazy about hand launching.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Magnum appears to be an animal!

I bought a Whip and the Magnum is next on my list- as soon as they release it again...

I still cannot believe your Magic has a Rossi-53 in there... That sounds AWESOME!

I ran an OS-50FSR Heli motor (In my magic-) and it was a screamer- faster out of a hover than a Topcap with a MVVS-49 or a Su-do-khoi with an Irvine-53! And those are no slouches!

Keep us posted and video would be fun!

james
Old 10-10-2003, 07:24 PM
antslake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I took out a Super Tigre .45 heli motor for the Rossi.
No comparison.
No one has really been able to answer this question I have about that heli motor. I was wondering what the real differences were between that motor and a airplane motor besides the muffler and the heatsink. I have the feeling that it is ported to run higher rpm, and I wasn't seeing the full benefit of using that motor.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:29 PM
ChuckAuger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All the heli engines I've seen were just like an aero version except for most were ringed and of course the head. Some had different carbs.

And most helis run a pipe since the engine RPM is fairly constant on them, hence the pipe can be made to fit without a wide range of tuning. Most aero engines don't run a pipe, and many that do are not properly set. Helis also tend to run higher nitro content fuel than their aero counterparts.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:30 PM
antslake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They wouldn't be ported different for better effeciency at higher rpm?
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:38 PM
ChuckAuger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heli engines usually only turn about 17K. That's not higher RPM compared to much. I will admit my experience has been limited to .32 to .36 sized heli engines, but I don't think there's much porting difference at all. I have been wrong before, but then I've never seen a heli engine turn up past 17K.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:49 PM
ChuckAuger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And an interesting side note...

I own a lot of Rossi engines. With the exception of ducted fan and marine versions (and racing versions, which I have none) all of them have 148 degree exhaust duration. You hear that Rossis are "hot" engines, or "only work on a pipe" engines, or "only work if they are turning up". That is all true, if you take the time to open the exhaust duration up a few degrees. 148 degrees isn't particularly radical, in fact it's just plain ol' muffler timing. It's not even close to a nice setting for a pipe. You'll get a gain on a pipe...about half what you'll get if you set it to 165 or so.

Just an observation.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:14 AM
WMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ChuckAuger, When opening up exhaust port, we only want to raise the height of the port to gain duration. Is that right? Do we need to compensate for lost compression due to increased ex duration? Have you ever played with the angle of the transfer ports? My understanding is the exhaust closing point effects performance more than any other timing event? Finally, what kind of stone or burr is used for the grinding, and is chipping/flaking of the plating a concern? Thanks, Mike
Old 10-11-2003, 12:19 PM
ChuckAuger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, just raise the top of the port. I don't worry about any loss of compression, you'll have to run a pipe, anyway, and that'll make up for it. I don't mess with the transfer ports. I use a Dremel cut-off wheel to get thru the chrome, and a tungsten carbide rotary cutter to take out the brass. Smooth it up with a file ot the cut-off wheel. The plating won't peel if you work on a true ABC engine, I wouldn't recommend trying it on an ABN.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:38 PM
WMB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info, Mike