Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Lanier Shrike 40

Old 10-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Joe123s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Shrike 40

I currently have two planes both of which were arfs. I have a sig kadet lt-40 and i just got a funtanas 40. I was looking into getting a fast plane and this plane caught my eye. It will be my first kit. Would this be to hard to build being my first kit? I'm a little unsure of how hard it is to put a kit together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
Old 10-22-2003, 08:11 PM
RPZ

Default RE: Lanier Shrike 40

I started out with the Kadet LT-40. It's a great trainer - but definitely not a speedy airplane. By the same token, learning to fly a high performance plane is a really bad idea. In addition to the model moving faster with limited time to correct for a bad manuver, landings are brutal and the high performance airplanes are just plain less forgiving, more expensive, and more easily written off. Combine that with the danger of an out-of-control fast moving object - I strongly suggest sticking with the Kadet for a season. Take your time put the Funtana together properly - check it over, etc. It's a real bummer when your first flight is also the last flight.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:22 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Take that good FREE advice.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Joe123s

i've been flying the funtana for 3 weeks now and i have had the kadet for 2 seasons. I'm looking for a winter project, that i hope to be ready to fly
Old 10-23-2003, 07:42 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Joe,

Your last post sheds a little more light on the subject. I think RPZ and 512 were thinking you were newer to flying than you are, as that is what it looked like from your first post. If you can go out and wring your Funtana out and grease every landing with it all night, then you may be ready for a next step. If you are still shaky flying the Funtana, then I agree with them and think you need to burn more nitro before taking the next step.

Also, RPZ and 512 are talking about if you put a really high performance engine on the shrike like a really hot .50 or a .46DF then the plane will be a screamer. I don't know what you have for .40 engines, but possibly you could take the sport engine off your LT-40 and strap that on the Shrike to get used to it. It will be tamer this way and you will get used to the plane. When you are really comfy with it, then you can spend the bucks and get a real screamer and strap it on the Shrike.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:48 PM
bobbdd

Those Shrikes do not fly slow. I'v had two of them, the 10 and the 40, and on both of them the elev. efectiveness drops down to nothing, as you slow down. I mean down to zero, even if it is still going 50 MPH. I stalled the engine in a 90' bank, had 200 feet of alt. it wheeled over toward the ground, ok no problem, let it pick up speed, slowly pull back on the stick, to glide it in, ( I was right over the runway) it just never pulled out, total elev. aerodynamic stall. And the bigger one was the same way.

bobbdd
Old 11-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Big_3Dan

I i agree with the guys you should get more stick time on you other planes. Speed is totally different than anything else you might have tried before. First time i took my shrike t the air(.25)
my hands were shaking and let's not even mention my knees. Of course i had one of the speed experienced guys beside me and he calmed me down by telling what to do till i got used to the plane. Today i crashed that plane everythng happened in a 1/4 of a second didn't even have time to throtle down...and belive me with that experience it's not fun at all to see something that small at 120 mph and have no control.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:23 PM
bobbdd

I never really thought about it but you are right, it is not fun, and of course dangerous, having something that fast, out of control. I do try to take the speed end of this hobby, slow and sirious. I kinda do each flight like a NASA space shot. Slow, methodical,one step at a time. And if I find something not right, I don't fly. I might sound a little exstream, but I have fun.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Joe,

Shrikes aren't that fast, at least not on a muffled sport engine... and there's always the throttle stick...
And they are not hard to put together either.

For a first speed trip I suggest a Q500 plane on a stock sport .40 engine.
A Q500 is more of a plane compared to the Shrike series of planes.
It has a landing gear, so you won't be hand launching and belly landing.
They fly very well, slow and fast, so if you're not up to it yet you can safely throttle down without ill effects.
And they are easy to build. You can even get them as ARF's.

What more could you want?